VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My first post here. Really glad I found this forum, so much great info here.

I just purchased my first Volkswagen, a 2014 Tig. It came with a RCD310 stereo but did not come with the MDI Interface. I'd like to have that feature as I suspect it would be easier to use my Ipod in the car with it. Currently I am using the Aux hookup which is OK but I am wondering what exactly I gain if I have the MDI installed. So a few questions:
1- Does the MDI give you some kind of read out on the display?
2- Does the MDI enhance the sound quality over the Aux hookup?
3- Does the MDI charge the device you hook up to it?
4- Does the MDI give me control of the device from the steering wheel controls?

I went to my dealer and to my surprise the tech could not answer any of these questions except the last one too which he said "I think so". :confused:
He did tell me it can be installed for about $650.00 all in. Seeing as I keep my cars for a long time I'm not to worried about the cost if it is actually going to give me more than the Aux hookup does.

Thanks in advance....

geep

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the RCD-310 in my 2014 as well, and was researching the MDI retrofit for the same reasons. I believe the answers to all your questions is "yes," except I'm not sure on #2. For sure the sound quality of the AUX in is bad, and music sounds way better through bluetooth. But, I don't know about the MDI audio.

For what it costs to get the retrofit installed I get tempted to get an aftermarket stereo with USB instead since the 310 is not exactly the most amazing stereo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tclash,

Thanks for your input. I have considered an aftermarket unit as well. I am a little reluctant to go that route for a kind of silly reason but here goes...the AM radio reception with the RCD310 is awesome! I had two aftermarket units in my last car and both of them had terrible AM reception. The area I live in is known for bad AM reception to begin with and I really enjoy listening to ballgames during the Summer while I drive around for my job so it's kinda important to me.

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
1- Does the MDI give you some kind of read out on the display?
2- Does the MDI enhance the sound quality over the Aux hookup?
3- Does the MDI charge the device you hook up to it?
4- Does the MDI give me control of the device from the steering wheel controls?
1. Yes, on the MDI (on the gauge cluster). Not sure about on the RCD310 screen itself, but it would on the RCD510, RNS315, or RNS510 units

2. Haven't tested both, but theoretically "yes"

3. Yes

4. Yes

If you're going to spend the money on the MDI, I'd upgrade to a RCD510 as well. It gives you FULL control of the iPod thru it and just looks waaay better than the RCD310. If you get a newer unit (assuming you buy a used one)....they have HD radio as well.
You can find one on here in good shape ~$200-300 used. (just make sure it has the radio code with it)

$650 for the MDI is a little steep though.

You can buy the VW "kit" for $225:
http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/View/5N0-057-342-B/0/134499

Then you just need a iPod cable....there's always some for sale on here (used) for like ~$20, but a new one is ~$40:
http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/View/000-051-446-L/000-051-446-C/0/305

The VW "kit" isn't plug & play though....you have to repin the OEM harness (meaning labor costs at your dealer). You can make it 100% plug & play (plugs inline) though with this Kufatec harness for $55:
http://www.kufatec.com/shop/en/volk...f-5-plus-1k/vw-media-in-mdi-interface-harness

That'd be about $350 total there & install it yourself....save $300.
OR put that $300 towards a RCD510 radio instead ;)

Then add the "Media Player" to the gateway install list thru VagCom & it'll work

That's exactly what I did on my Tiguan (I had a used MDI kit from my old car--the box, extension cable & iPod cable)....then bought the Kufatec harness to plug it in & then enabled it thru VagCom

Pics here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7029235-FS-Complete-OEM-MDI-Input-Retrokit-Kit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.