VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from getting my 15k service done at a VW dealer.. Yeah yeah, it was just an oil change, but hey, I want my book stamped dammit! While I was there, I watched the tech walk away from my car with the VW Scantool. I was kinda nervous since I had the REVO software upgrade, and the car was still sitting in the 'performance' mode.
As I'm getting my keys, I ask the service advisor why the tech was in my car with the scantool, and he replies, "He was just checking to see if your coilpacks were updated." Which they were. He hands me my reciept, along with a print out from the scantool. "NO FAULTS DETECTED" There were -0- error codes recorded, and there was no trace of tampered software.
Just wanted to give a shout out to REVO for actually taking the time to put a full package together like they have. As far as I'm conserned there is no alternative. Go ahead and soldier a chip into your ECU....
As I leave the dealership, I spool the turbo up, 20PSI @3.000 RPM.... Ahhhh such a perfect world....

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (GTi'sRule)

Quote, originally posted by GTi'sRule »
I was kinda nervous since I had the REVO software upgrade, and the car was still sitting in the 'performance' mode.

There were -0- error codes recorded, and there was no trace of tampered software.

You don't think a 5 second test drive would prove other wise? Who cares if you didn't tamper with the ECU physically if a test drive proves you are not running stock softwre.
If you really care about your warranty like that to only want serial programming you might want to be loading up the stock code next time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (einsig)

Because the car drives ungodly smooth. REVO drives like it's bone stock. Service techs aren't known for mashing the petal to the floor mats. And obviously they drove it. I didn't put it on the lift for them.

· Registered
3,338 Posts

Because the car drives ungodly smooth. REVO drives like it's bone stock. Service techs aren't known for mashing the petal to the floor mats. And obviously they drove it. I didn't put it on the lift for them.

All the current chips drive hella smooth and all chips feel stock like when you are just pulling the car into the garage. However don't be so naive to think the tech doesn't dip into boost on a full test drive...its a dead giveaway on any chip. For full stealth you need stock code, ability to be flashed, and an unopened ECU. Just giving some advice thats all. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Laff, NP man, yeah, I was kind of dumb for not setitng it back to 'stock' mode, but as with everything, hindsight is a b*tch. I just wanted to give REVO some credit where I feel it's due for making such a top notch product. Oh well, I've been here for like an hour now reading these forums, I'm gonna go now...

· Registered
8,403 Posts

Very cool. Putting it in stock mode would make it virtually undetectable.
I have a VAG-COM and periodically check to see if I have any fault codes...NONE...EVER (since REVO, that is)! Which makes me wonder why APR offers the option with their chip to "clear fault codes".

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (JettaRed)

Quote, originally posted by JettaRed »
I have a VAG-COM and periodically check to see if I have any fault codes...NONE...EVER (since REVO, that is)! Which makes me wonder why APR offers the option with their chip to "clear fault codes".

Well this was covered years ago when the feature was first added. The APR (and other chips) raise the rev limiter so you can easily throw the "max engine speed exceeded" code. That code is a dead giveaway to a chip and sicne it doesn't throw a CEL having the option to clear right before a visit is a grand idea (especially if you don't have a laptop/VAG-COM). FWIW, there are hundreds of APR users (self included) since the late 90's when they began tuning for the 1.8T who have had 0, zero, nadda, no fault codes thrown becuase of the chip. ALso that code you are referring to, which is limited to specific ECU versions, has happened on other brands of chips and stock ECUs...they just didn't get the press. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by einsig at 7:28 PM 7-11-2003

· Registered
3,197 Posts

Because the car drives ungodly smooth. REVO drives like it's bone stock. Service techs aren't known for mashing the petal to the floor mats. And obviously they drove it. I didn't put it on the lift for them. <---not so for every BMW tech i have EVER riden with
The shop foreman i know at VW said unless you have a CEL lite that was caused by something from a chip they could really care less(ie lean condition meltdown etc. was his example) Lot's of times warranty repairs are a technicians good source of income(customers dont like shelling out money) so why would the tech want to say hey this guy has a chip so now has no warranty and has to pay for expensive crap.....he would much rather replace parts under warranty and get paid from VW vs. the customer declining the repair because he warranty was voided and cant afford the repairs VW of NA has no idea the car has the chip, so the tech stills gets paid. Just something to think about from someone who works at a BMW dealership and sees how dealers and service tech's look at things.

· Registered
1,190 Posts

I just wanted to give REVO some credit where I feel it's due for making such a top notch product.

Shouldn't you give APR all the credit...All Revo did was steal(for lack if a better word but in all reality is probably the best word to describe it!!) the software from APR and call it theirs'!!

Modified by Mk418TDUB at 2:42 AM 7-12-2003

· Registered
8,403 Posts
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (Mk418TDUB)

Quote, originally posted by Mk418TDUB »

Shouldn't you give APR all the credit...All Revo did was steal(for lack if a better word but in fact is probably the best described using it) the software from APR and call it theirs'!!

Yawn!

· Registered
2,319 Posts
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (Mk418TDUB)

Quote, originally posted by Mk418TDUB »

Shouldn't you give APR all the credit...All Revo did was steal(for lack if a better word but in all reality is probably the best word to describe it!!) the software from APR and call it theirs'!!

Modified by Mk418TDUB at 2:42 AM 7-12-2003

And how exactly would you know that

· Registered
920 Posts
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (RABIDRABBIT1983)

Hrmm, no misfire codes!
Hell, I've got so many misfire codes that it amazes me the car even runs. This has been since day 1. I'm not sure if it's chip related or not because I find it hard to believe they will all go away even if I went back to stock. I replaced the stock coils with the good ones to help with the ignition process but still have more misfire codes than Bill Gates has money. I have given up on worrying about it and just chalked up the codes as an end result of oversensitive software algorithms in the Motronic system.

Modified by turbo02gti at 10:07 PM 7-11-2003

· Registered
554 Posts

You're lucky that Tommy Technician didn't take your car for a test drive. VW is becoming increasingly paranoid about chips/mods. Heaven forbid a VW might actually have some power, even if not "legitimate".
Competion is a good thing, but am getting weary of these sub rosa enhancements that create terror when a dealer visit is necessary. The answer to that is obvious.

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (turbo02gti)

Quote, originally posted by turbo02gti »
Hrmm, no misfire codes!
Hell, I've got so many misfire codes that it amazes me the car even runs. This has been since day 1. I'm not sure if it's chip related or not because I find it hard to believe they will all go away even if I went back to stock. I replaced the stock coils with the good ones to help with the ignition process but still have more misfire codes than Bill Gates has money. I have given up on worrying about it and just chalked up the codes as an end result of oversensitive software algorithms in the Motronic system.

Modified by turbo02gti at 10:07 PM 7-11-2003

Chris have you had the AWP software update? I know the original stock AWP code (that which your GIAC chip is based) causes/is sensitive to misfires. The new one isn't supposed to cause (or at least notice) the misfires. J Moss and GIAC mentioned a while ago that they will base their latest version off the new stock code, but I don't know if it has been released. FWIW, I don't get them on my AWW in either stock or chipped mode. I had about 3 total in 2 years before I had my original and working coils replaced with the new versions. So far no misfires.

· Registered
920 Posts

I haven't had my car to the dealer in over a year so no new updates for me. I guess I could put it back to stock mode and give it a try. I'm not worried about any warranty issues because I don't have one anymore so there is nothing stopping me from doing this other than the thought of the stealer working on my car and also being charged 2 arms and half a leg for the update!

· Registered
24,155 Posts

IAs I'm getting my keys, I ask the service advisor why the tech was in my car with the scantool, and he replies, "He was just checking to see if your coilpacks were updated." Which they were. He hands me my reciept, along with a print out from the scantool. "NO FAULTS DETECTED" There were -0- error codes recorded, and there was no trace of tampered software.

Uh, one you can't tell if the coil packs were replaced with any scan tool, nor can you tell if its chipped with any current scan tool unless you drive it and log some stuff. What did they charge you for a 15K since there is no scan required for it?

· Registered
2013 Audi TT RS; 2017 Audi S6
7,353 Posts
Re: Me, REVO, And the VW dealership. (chris86vw)

Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »

Uh, one you can't tell if the coil packs were replaced with any scan tool, nor can you tell if its chipped with any current scan tool unless you drive it and log some stuff. What did they charge you for a 15K since there is no scan required for it?

Judging by this clown's attitude, I'd bet the whole story was made up. As you mention, the only way to detect any chip would be by driving the car, or physically opening the ECU. oh, and chips don't throw codes...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.