VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PG performance is selling the fiberglass mattig for $65. can this be molded into the hood or do I have to get something that is the same material as the hood? if so where (boser blick) can I find it and how much? thanks for all that help
Eric

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (98vr6HONDAeater)

you can mold it into the hood, but would be pointless, as it would most likely crack very easy, as it would be to flexable,.....just inagine a rock hitting it on the hightway...that would be no good

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (Euro Flavor)

so where is a good place to get the metal extension.....???? and anyidea on the price difference
Eric

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

the few places that sell metal extensions are poorly made and warp. all the full metal bosers are custom

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (Vdub18)

what do you mean custom......as in the enitre hood is fabricated? I am really confused now. I always though Boser blick was a product......I feel dumb can anyone tell me where to look
Eric

·
Registered
12,592 Posts

The whole hood isn't custom, just the extension. A good body shop will make an extension just as or almost as thick as the metal in the hood. Then they will weld it on and grind id down so there is no seam. The you have to repaint the whole hood. Lotsa money to do this correctly, but worth it I think. It looks really good.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts

The fiberglass one is OK (it is more rigid than the plastic) for getting the "look." As others said, it is more prone to cracking, but that's if you're driving on roads that has lots of debris that can get kicked up by cars in front of you. I just got mine driven over here from Maryland (thanks Kuba http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif )and it seems to be pretty durable, granted I don't drive on gravel roads.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (ALPHAQGTI)

is your name ramone? I think I just emailed you on what I thought was your Mattig for sale. is it still for sale?
Eric

·
Registered
12,101 Posts

a custom one done, with meatal...molded and blended in should be around 1000 dollars...good luck

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (Euro Flavor)

well looks like I am about to spend a G........oh well I want it done right so I know I gotta pay. Thanks Guys....and if anyone else can contribute, PLease do
Eric

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (ALPHAQGTI)

I had the fiberglass one molded onto my Golf hood. I drove around with it for about three months, between September and November. There was a lot of temperature flux and that didn't crack it.
It is seamless when looked at head on, but if you look at it from a certain angle in the sunlight you can see a faint line. It doesn't look bad at all, it looks like a one piece hood unless somebody tells you it's not and you look from that one angle.
Granted, I'm a perfectionist so it bothered me knowing that it was there anyway
Glad you like the hood Ramone!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (bialyorzel)

well I decided to go with the mattig but I am having my body shop add onto the Fiberglass to extend the piece even further. I want this bitch MEAN!!!
Eric

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it if I were you. If you were see your hood, grille, and lights after a long drive you'll notice ALL of the debris hits the car right there. The Mattig fiberglass piece is fine as it is. I think if you went any bigger you would seriously risk cracking ten times more. That and opening the hood is going to be hell. Mattig makes two size Golf fiberglass extensions, breit and schmal (sp?). Breit is the bigger one and it is pretty aggressive, I had it on my car. I will post pictures once I scan them, or ask Ramone as the hood is in his hands now.

·
Registered
10,689 Posts

to do the true metal boser is loooooooooots of work and very costly
im doing mine as we speak
i should have pics by this weekend
ive never done any sort of bodywork whatsoever, but im getting quite a bit of help from a friend who is a very respectable bodyman/fabricator
even doing most of it myself ill have close to $800 into it when its all said and done
dont mold the glass one on there, youll regret it
if your going to do it, nut up, and do it right http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: mean look hood extension ?'s (Boost Inside)

thanks guys....I am going to call pg and see if they sell both sizes.....if they only sell the small one I am going to "nut" up as Boost inside said

Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts