VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searching and couldn't find much love for keeping the stock 16in wheel and throwing on larger tires for looks and off road performance.

Stock = 215/65r16 16x6.5 et33

Anybody know if...

225/60r16
225/65r16
235/60r16
235/65r16

Will run without issues? pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bunnyhopin I'll take a look. Btw nice calculator. I've used this one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
This topic interests me too for winter tires. On that note, wider tires are also interesting on top of that.

I think with a taller sidewall height, you might have more side roll during turns, but otherwise the extra padding and cushion might make for a smoother ride inside. It will be superior to anything you can get with the larger rims as that only means shorter tire sidewall height to fit in the space, so that is unique about the 16" wheels.

The issue might also be making sure you have enough space so that wheels don't hit the top if you shock it over a bump on the road. Might need a lift too or stiffen suspensions?

But if you make your rims black, and the tire is black, that is a good look too. You no longer need that larger 19" rim to give it a meaner look. You can get away with 16" rims and look mean.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I hit some metal debris on the highway not too long ago. Luckily it was next to the off ramp near a Les Schuab so I left it over night and got a new set of "chubby" SUV white letter's early that next morning! I didnt mind the small OEM Perelli's it came with, but headed hunting or running after coyotes with my big beautiful sunroof open ;) didnt offer enough grip. Ill post a few photos of what Im running when Im off work. The tire guy said these were as fat as I could get without them hitting the stock suspension. Height wise, I would have been ok with bigger but it wasnt a big deal. My speedo is off around 7mph when Im at 70mph. A week after I get them on, I got pulled over doing 82mph in a 70mph. Showed him I had my cruise set at 74 and said "should I write the ticket for 4 over the limit or 12? Doesnt matter to me, its the same price." What an a$$hole right! :banghead: I love the feel on the highway, they have great grip driving through softball sized rocks or mud, and run amazing in the icy/slushy winter conditions here in SE Washington.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine are 225/70R16's and I have a finger width between the sidewall and the suspension spring housing. Mastercraft Courser STR's.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Stock, just like the photo! On the next tire rotation, Im going to have them dismount the tires so I can powdercoat the rims. Not sure if I want burnt bronze or matte black to match the lower body panel texture. I just posted a photo to my IG. ZunkerCustoms if you want to take a look.

·
Registered
2021 Atlas SEL-P 2.0T 4Motion & 2019 Tiguan SE 4Motion
504 Posts
On my last Tiguan (2011 SE 4Motion, stock suspension) I ran 235/60/16 on 16x7 Sparco Assetto Gara wheels, +35mm offset. I also used 20mm spacers for a couple of winters. I never had any fitment/rubbing issues. The speedometer was a little bit off but I didn't mind for the 4-5 months I had my snows on. I liked the wider look of the 235 snow tire but I think I gave up a little bit in snow traction due to the wider tire. I ended up selling my old set of winter wheels/tires when I sold the car and this time around I got 215/65/16 which is the recommended size.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If someone stuck with a 16" rim and 215 width, what is the largest tire that you can fit on the non-lifted tiguan without interference with full range of motion for the suspensions?

Can it fit a 215/80/r16 for example? It's only around 1.3" larger in radius of the overall tire compared to standard 215/65/r16 right? I'm not near the car to measure but does it have enough space to fit the larger tire? Just barely perhaps? If so, also not sure if it will hit the top of the wheel well when you hit a speed bump?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts