VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Re: megasquirt II (a_thomasmr23)

If you are using the stock distributor you don't really need MSII, if you want to have coil on plug, or coil packs it will be easier with MSII. Or you can use EDIS with MSI, and get timing control with MSnS .
A few more details will help decide what will work best for your combination.
Main deciding factor is ignition, the next is MSII is more versatile.

· Registered
48,483 Posts
Re: megasquirt II (vwjunkie68)

Quote, originally posted by vwjunkie68 »
If you are using the stock distributor you don't really need MSII, if you want to have coil on plug, or coil packs it will be easier with MSII.

all you really need is a V3 board and MSnS to do that easily.
not many people use MS2 right now because it means giving up all of the additional features of MSnS

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: megasquirt II (ValveCoverGasket)

what are the extra features on msn's from what i read on the megasquirt site that it covers most of the features. my plan is to start with fuel and then move to spark with the stock coil dizzy set up

· Registered
159 Posts

You're still better off with MS1 in my opinion, running -Extra code it's still more usable than MSII (and cheaper!)
For 4 COP applications (20vT for instance) you need V3 MS1 with 029 Extra code.
They will soon start writing -Extra code for MSII, but that'll take a long time....

· Registered
2,094 Posts

Count me in, I havent completed it yet but I have 2 on the way. I have one going in a Turbo Toyota MRII, and I will have one going into my turbo Scirocco.
The cool thing is that MSI V3 boards can be converted to a MSII unit fairly easily. I just completed a MSI V3 board running MSnS-E for a friends 92 GLI. He wanted the extra features and is waiting for MSII to develop more before converting.
Take your pick on what you want to do, if you go with MSI now you can always upgrade later...

· Registered
614 Posts

Just got my MSII v3.0 this week with two map sensors (1 is a 4bar
)
We should keep in touch and check each others progress. Have a circle squirt! I got the Stim built and started on the Squirt last night. Will be going on a 1.8 16v with a t3/t4. Short runner almost finished also.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: megasquirt II (Junkyardrabbit)

will do, i scared for a bit thing i was the one person dumb enough to try it. i'm getting my stim next week, i bought the msII 3.0 first so i'm playing catch up. i'm planing on using a TB with a TPS instead of the 2 map sensors.

· Registered
1,761 Posts

Built my V3 MSII setup in march, now waiting for school to end so I can get a move on it.
Picked up the auto passat TB w/TPS but still deciding whether to use it or not.
Reason being Bahn Brenner has a sweet adapter available for a mk3 TB which opens the possibility of getting a OBD2 TB with stepper idle control built in.
I will be converting my car for the second time now. First from 8v to Digi2 16v now to MSII 16v.
The knowledge base for MSII is smaller but we can fix that.
Oh heres that adapter in case you want to see.

Link:
http://www.bahnbrenner.com/med...d=242

· Registered
911 Posts

As far as I can tell I got the first MSII VW running, using one of the initial "beta" releases of the MSII processor. I like it, and I am selling my first scirocco with MSII, and using the funds to build up my newer scirocco for an ITB MSII install. MSII is for those looking to tinker and play around with new features being released periodically. It's more for the person who wants to make megasquirt a hobby, and the MSI processor is more for someone who just wants the basics of standalone now, without worrying about the features of the future.

Modified by kalvinlk at 7:50 PM 4-16-2006

· Registered
1,761 Posts

Hard to say becase they are different types, the 16v TB is a progressive TB with two butterflies, the mk3 is a single butterfly TB.
I don't know the diameter's of the butterflies but you could easily calculate the area of the butterflies and compare them.

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Re: megasquirt II (MBRACKLIFFE)

Hey man, good thread, i ordered a ms2 and a ms1 extra cpu incase i get pissed off and want to go back, i wanted to keep the ms2 around if i cant really utilize it right now.... as long as i have the igbt i dont really care...if you order ms2 get hte ms1 chip its only $10 at diyautotune....btw...i ordered it on a saturday morning and its monday and its already in canada!!!!! $25 or 30 usd shipping.... thanks diy...
anyhow, does a passat auto tbody need the throttlecable too ?
another thing... i would think that progressive tbody butterflies COULD make it alot harder to tune.... im tinkering with the idea of using a mustang 5L tbody just using a spacer or something just because the sensor is cheap.... maybe smooth out hte inside of the tbody with some jbweld to make sure its smooth because its a round peg on a square hole...hehe...

· Registered
614 Posts

Quote, originally posted by a_thomasmr23 »
will do, i scared for a bit thing i was the one person dumb enough to try it. i'm getting my stim next week, i bought the msII 3.0 first so i'm playing catch up. i'm planing on using a TB with a TPS instead of the 2 map sensors.

I will e using TPS also. One of the MAP sensors is for the Manifold Pressure, and the other is for continuous ambient pressure so as not to rely on initial startup value.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: megasquirt II (Junkyardrabbit)

is that part of the msII to set up with the one for mani and the other for ambient? i understanding is that it took a deritive from between the two to get a slew rate, or am i off base?

· Registered
2,094 Posts

Quote, originally posted by a_thomasmr23 »
is that part of the msII to set up with the one for mani and the other for ambient? i understanding is that it took a deritive from between the two to get a slew rate, or am i off base?

The ambient or 2nd map sensor is basically for driving in terrain that changes altitude a lot. I think it is slew rate or correction "slope" type of adustment.
The Map based accel enrichment is from the rate of change of values measured from the 1st map sensor connected to the manifold. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Just a copy from the megasquirt site...
# User configurable barometric correction 'slope' in software, and provisions for:
* barometric correction based on initial MAP reading,
* independent 2nd barometric MAP sensor for continuous real-time baro correction, or
* no baro correction.
# User configurable TPS values for open loop and flood clear mode,
# MAP based open loop can be set as well as TPS,
# Both TPS and MAP based accel enrichment is built into the code, you can configure the ratio of each,

Modified by GTIMan82 at 4:26 AM 4-19-2006

Modified by GTIMan82 at 4:27 AM 4-19-2006

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.