VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a fancy title but one you can search to.
Got one of the first running almost two weeks ago and I'm finally getting the time to get all the information up. I'll put it up in stages in this first post so be patient. Having problems with my ftp so I won't have screenshots and the .msq until tonight.
I will assume that all those reading will have base MS knowledge. Those who don't feel free to ask some questions.
1992 SLC engine/drivetrain into a 1992 GTI (my old one). Car has been running a stock chipped ECU for a little over a year. All factory sensors have been used, only addition to the engine bay is a single vacuum line for the map signal.
Wiring is straight forward from a cut up Motronic ECU connector to the MS DB37 connector. I will post the pinout below.
[MS to Motronic Pinout Placeholder]
Board built and tuned by me.
MS1 V3
MSnS-E 029t
Board mods/hardware:
VRIN - TachSelect
TSEL - VROUT INV
D14 with pullup to IGN (no VB)
Both VR pots fully CCW
Launch Circuit

Tach Circuit (not working yet) w/ 2k pullup

TIP120 for PWM idle valve with 1N4001 flyback diode between output and 12v
Remove Q4, Q20 and R39. replace R39 with a wired link or solder the (E) emittor to the right side of position R39 rather than at the Q4 position.

Innovate LC1 wideband to stock narrowband O2 pigtail.
MSQ: http://www.msruns.com/download.php?id=5661 you will have to register/login until I host it
[Placeholder for configuration screenshots]

The maps are street tuned about as good as they can get and I will NOT post dyno tuned maps as they are customer owned. So, don't ask

The car with this ECU ran 14.0's all day at Waterfest on Sunday despite non-ideal conditions.
Enjoy!!

Modified by need_a_VR6 at 1:47 PM 7-26-2007

Modified by need_a_VR6 at 9:06 AM 1-2-2010

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Re: Megasquirt on a Distributor VR6 (need_a_VR6)

Good stuff Paul...hurry up on a coil pack one.

I know you haven't done it yet but what, if any difference do you for see between the OBDI coilpack motors and OBDII? Does the distro VR use the same style IAC valve as the coilpack motors?

·
Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Megasquirt on a Distributor VR6 (darren p.)

The only difference as far as the setup is concerned is that the OBD2's have the idle valve in the throttle body. I'm pretty sure though it will even work without the uprated transistor I posted above, as the OBD2 idle motor is a much lower current unit.
The OBD1 cars all have the same IAC, either distro or coil.
Working on it though.. hopefully I'll make some nice progress in August without all the races taking up my time.

·
Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Wiring Schedule:
Motronic T68 Pin # ---- MS Pin # --- Function
1,7,10,33,55,56 ---- 8-19 --- Ground
36 ---------------------20-------- IAT+
14----------------------21--------CLT+
41----------------------26--------TPS+
40----------------------22--------TPS
20----------------------23--------O2
67----------------------24--------VR+
68----------------------7----------VR-/VR Shield
22----------------------25--------Tach
27----------------------27--------PWM 12v
23----------------------28--------12v supply
53----------------------30--------PWM Idle (Fidle)
3,24,26-------------32/33-------INJA
2,4,25--------------34/35--------INJB
8-----------------------36---------Ignition Out
6-----------------------37----------Fuel Pump (Relay)
28---------------------37----------Heated O2 (Relay)
X-----------------------29----------Launch
T68/9 needs to be pulled to ground to turn the ECM relay on. There's a 12v ignition hot supply to the ECU that I didn't write down. It needs to control a relay that pulls it on. The stock ECU must have an internal transistor to do this. I'll post up that fix when I do it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Sorry for the sloppy order but it's how I think.

·
Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Tach circuit works with a 4.7k pullup.
The 'funny' issues with the fuel pump relay were solved with an additional relay. T68/9 is grounded through a relay that's switched on with ignition hot on T68/38, the other two pins of the relay (contact and coil ground) are grounded at the MS at pins 14/15.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

I was just going to do a whole big post but Paul got to it before me.
The vehicle is mine and Paul did a great job with the wiring and getting all the bugs worked out.
I will put up some pics as soon as I can. If anyone has a question about the car feel free to PM me,

·
Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Tire_Marx)

Spark map should work on a coilpack car, even the wheel decoder settings should work. Just have to use three spark outputs instead of just the one.
The motor is a stock 92 SLC motor with a Mk4 headgasket, intake and 2.5" TT exhaust.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Re: (Tire_Marx)

Quote, originally posted by Tire_Marx »
anything else done to the vr, or 14's on stock motor with MS?

Yeah it is pretty much stock, Along with what Paul mentioned I have a 42 draft design test pipe, no ac or ps, no front sway bar, started to mess around with my intake mani. Thats it. I have a set of schricks waiting to go in but I need HD springs and a couple of other things first.
Just wanted to also say that Paul is a great guy and has helped me out alot over the years, throwing parts my way and some tech support. I would not trust anyone else with wiring up a MS. The inside of my MS looked better than my mother board in my computer

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

what's gonna be the advantage of a distributor or coil pack over each other as far as cost, ease of use and spark control? I have parts and harnesses for both and am deciding what way to go in the spring for my coupe.

·
Registered
34,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Megasquirt on a Distributor VR6 (all-starr-me)

Distributor is only one spark output, and the coil is three. Distro would be a bit easier, but in the grand scheme of things they're not that different.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.