VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to look at my broken fog lamp today and find that the thing is all melted. It is melted where the bulb harness gets inserted into the fog caseing as well as around the bulb socket on the harness. So Has this happened to anyone else
?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: Melting Fog's???? (Gregor413)

Wow!, I heard of all the lens cracking problems, but not housing meltdowns as you described. Could the bulbs in there be too high of a wattage over standard and overheated the whole fixture? I figure it can't be a short, because it would burn out the fuses in it's circuit. I've seen some posts before that mentioned VW had tempered the glass on replacement part OEMs differently to reduce heat stress cracking. Are replacements OK to use now?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Melting Fog's???? (ibijo)

Well it looks as though the outer glass was broken and then maybe at the same time the lense inside that projects the light out may have moved to toutch the housing and possibly melted it this way. I didn't check the bulb wattage so im not sure if that is the cause....

·
Registered
184 Posts

Yes, melting fogs...
I bought my '93 wagon earlier this year and needed to get the fogs working to pass inspection. Both housings were deformed, warped, melted, etc... but not bad enough to have to replace them. The passenger side was melted just enough to change the angle of the bulb. I replaced the bulbs with the same number and they ended up being 50W bulbs.
My big problem was that the metal frame that holds the lens was rusted be cause some bozo didn't put the rubber cap over the back and water got in it. In short, I took it all apart and scrubbed/scraped it, treated the metal, and put it all back again. I don't know how long they will last, but it passed inspection for me.
BTW, what material is the housing made of anyway? plastic? metal?

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts

greg- check the wattage of the bulbs- too high will melt them
!!!
robertd- you live in bethelehem??? i live in allentown & it's nice to see another vortex passat brother living in the valley
!!!
bill

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Melting Fog's???? (WannaCorrado)

Fogs for inspection is a wierd thing....I gotta play with em a little bit but I think they too have rusted inside. Ill take em out and inspect them furthur. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
184 Posts

I don't know about other localities, but for my area, any lights (necessary or not) that are installed on the vehicle must function to pass state inspection.
Now, in the case of fog lights, you can remove them, terminate the wires, and put blank pannel covers in the openings--and that's deemed acceptable.

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Re: Melting Fog's???? (robertd)

quote:[HR][/HR]I don't know about other localities, but for my area, any lights (necessary or not) that are installed on the vehicle must function to pass state inspection.
Now, in the case of fog lights, you can remove them, terminate the wires, and put blank pannel covers in the openings--and that's deemed acceptable.[HR][/HR]​
yup...my wagon failed inspection 2 years ago because the fogs were CRACKED!!!!! i went out, bought dummies, slapped them on & the car passed w/ flying colors
bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.