VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So its finally time for me to replace my current beater mk3 4 door golf. Its starting to show some wear, just passed over 200k, many oil leaks, coolant leak, rust issues, etc. I've known for a while I wanted to do a 4 door Golf build to serve as my daily. Thursday I picked up this memory red Golf, pretty solid starting point for the project I'm looking to do. Its not perfect cosmetically, it looks better in the pictures than in person but I think it will clean up nice. I plan on making a Golf GLX, swapping in all the options a Jetta GLX has. VR6, 5 lug, abs brakes, power windows, power mirrors, sunroof, headed seats, cruise control etc.

I picked up this white Jetta GLX from Sammy a few weeks ago. It has some major rust issues along with a blown head gasket. Its going to be the donor for most of this build.

I'm not sure how fast this is going to go. I'd like to have it on the road sooner rather than later but we'll see how it goes. Stay tuned.

Many of you know my mk2 but I'll show off a couple pictures just cause.

Build thread here if you're interested.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...p-to-24v-swap-on-lugtronic-standalone-content

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a little progress on taking the abs brake booster and the engine harness out of the Jetta. I have all week off from work so I'm hoping I can put a good amount of time on the project on break.

Also took the tint off the rear windshield and the dealer sticker off from under the Golf badge. A friend in the art department at work made me a burn all the mk3s sticker for Christmas. :D

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
In for this build as I love the mk2 Gaets! :beer::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I picked up my memory red golf down in Maryland a couple years ago, its just a simple lightly modded aba daily. In for you build LC3M:heart:

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In for this build as I love the mk2 Gaets! :beer::thumbup:
In for this. MKII looks amazing.
In for this, love MKIII swap builds ;):p
memory red <3
in because I doubt OP will dissapoint :thumbup:
Thanks guys :thumbup:

I picked up my memory red golf down in Maryland a couple years ago, its just a simple lightly modded aba daily. In for you build LC3M:heart:
Thanks, I saw a couple pictures of your car in the mk3 picture thread. Clean :thumbup: Definitely some motivation for my build.

Hey man I got something for this project. I'll try and get it in the mail tomorrow.
:thumbup::beer:

Got some work done the past few days. Both the abs harness and complete cruise control system are out.

Last night I got the donor engine on the stand so I could see what kind of shape its in. I got the head off this morning. Head gasket is gone but I already knew that. The head doesn't seem to be warped. I quickly cleaned it and put a straight edge across it. The cylinder walls are in good shape. I have a few ideas of what direction I might go but I'm not really sure yet. Option 1, Find a known good running engine and rebuild this one down the road when I get around to it. Option 2, Do a head gasket and timing chains and hope the everything else is in good enough shape. Option 3, Completely rebuild the whole engine now before I get the car on the road. I would like to do option 3 but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a full rebuild right now.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
You could hone the block and do rings and bearings for peace of mind, along with a good cleaning, since that's all relatively cheap. And assume the head isn't blowing oil past the seals. New gaskets to keep the oil in and I feel like it'd be good to go for a while. Obviously there could be issues with accessories and stuff, but you probably have one of everything within reach, ready to swap so is that even an issue?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could hone the block and do rings and bearings for peace of mind, along with a good cleaning, since that's all relatively cheap. And assume the head isn't blowing oil past the seals. New gaskets to keep the oil in and I feel like it'd be good to go for a while. Obviously there could be issues with accessories and stuff, but you probably have one of everything within reach, ready to swap so is that even an issue?
In the little bit of pricing I've done, I wouldn't say rings and bearings are relatively cheap, you're looking at $300 before buying bolts for the rods and crank. So that's why I'm either just going to do a head gasket and chains and hope for the best, or I'm going to go all out and rebuild the whole thing. If I'm going to spend the money I'd rather know that the whole engine is good to go. I've never heard this one run, I know nothing about it. I'm just not sure how much I want to risk since I'm trying to build a reliable daily driver.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts