VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Anybody got any tips for one timers? 50% of the time my one timer attempt is a fluttering piece of ****. The other 50% it's good enough to score sometimes but still pretty weak. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, just not getting a lot of power on my shot if it's a hard pass.
Sounds like you're missing the sweet spot on your blade for the shot. Try to hit the puck towards the heel of your stick, not out on the toe. That helps get a bit more power. It could just be that you aren't getting the timing completely right since the pass is coming faster. Try trying your stick back a bit early so you aren't rushing. Otherwise, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What is the flx on your stick. Are you using a 100 maybe try a 85 or 77..?

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I'm using a 87 cut maybe 2 inches down. I don't like anything lighter than that because i feel it bend too much. I think i could be shooting off the front of the blade too much like two posts above indicated. I gotta practice it. I never practice it and then it happens in a game and I hate it.

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts
As requested, here are some pics from the MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence....it's a 4 rink pad, 3 NHL sized and one International sized rinks.

Practice arena for the Leafs, Marlies, home rink of the Lakeshore Lions and affiliated with Hockey Canada as well. Nice place to play....didn't take too many pics because I was pissed after we got trashed in our game. :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow that must be a killer place to play in. I have played in some dumps. My new rink is nice but some of the old ones wow.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I'm using a 87 cut maybe 2 inches down. I don't like anything lighter than that because i feel it bend too much. I think i could be shooting off the front of the blade too much like two posts above indicated. I gotta practice it. I never practice it and then it happens in a game and I hate it.
If you watch NHL guys, they tend to keep the blade on the ice a bit more on slapshots than when someone T's one up themselves. When I played outdoors in Finland growing up, you would have to do this because there were so many ruts in the ice sometimes that you'd totally miss and look like a fool.

Try getting the blade down on the ice a bit sooner, too. Basically you slide into the shot a bit more than normal. It robs a little power, but as mentioned, when you're losing it from a mis****, I don't see how it's any worse :)

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Was just informed this morning that one of the guys I skate with is organizing a tournament the day after Xmas on an outdoor rink. Jerseys and socks have been ordered and a trophy appropriately (or inappropriately) labeled "Kwanzaa classic." we're doing our own jersey graphics with stencils and spray paint. Should be ridiculous and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you can get some pics. I would love to make this just a non NHL thread for guys who still love to play. Sounds very cool by the way. Glad you have outdoor ice already. Not so much here in NH.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I'm hoping to have some video. Depends on if I can convince my gf to sit outside in the cold for 3 hours. This particular rink is refrigerated think. It really hasn't been cold enough for anything to freeze by itself yet.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ya same for up here in NH too. it was 47 the other day. I was pissed.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Played today at lunch. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ha i know that one. i play again tomorrow at 12 and sat at 6am.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I'm on such a ****ty sleep schedule that it made more sense to not go to sleep at all last night. So I just stayed up all night and left for hockey at 5.30am. But yea, paying for it now.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Ouch!!

Edit for lunch game: Two goals and a post. stupid post:mad:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is true.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
love the whale tale. Where are you from?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts