VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,242 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (Volkswagenut)

Friend of mine had 2001 ML430. She drove it everywhere. She had issues with her brake noise and her ignition control unit went out so she had to get it fixed.
Other than that, I believe she had no other issues with her ML430.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (eurotrash_pd)

Quote, originally posted by eurotrash_pd »
Avoid the 1998 and 1999 models
Reliability improved significantly for the 2000+ models

yup..MB was quick to rectify most problems that plagued the ml

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (Volkswagenut)

There is a guy in my wife's class who owns an ML500, and says he has to visit the dealer every month!!

So I'm not sure they fixed the problems, it also rates really low on CR.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (Sheynk)

Quote, originally posted by Sheynk »
yup..MB was quick to rectify most problems that plagued the ml

Agreed. My family has had a 1998 ML, then a 2001, and most recently a 2003. They've gotten noticably better in terms of build quality and reliability with each iteration.

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (VdubChaos)

As stated, the initial ML series SUV's had terrible reliability. IIRC, Consumer Reports stated that the 1997 ML's had the worst initial reliability of any vehicle. A stunning blow to M-B's reputation.
I personally don't think the V6 models are a good drive. (I can't speak to the V8's as I've never driven one). And the interiors on pre-2001/2 vehicles are just cheap, as well. I mean really cheap. A family friend had a 1999 ML320, and interior pieces would regularly fall off--the glovebox door cover in particular. Combined with the fact that she had ongoing and consistent electrical problems, it was a thoroughly unimpressive vehicle.

·
Banned
19,661 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (SeattleGLI)

Quote, originally posted by SeattleGLI »
As stated, the initial ML series SUV's had terrible reliability. IIRC, Consumer Reports stated that the 1997 ML's had the worst initial reliability of any vehicle. A stunning blow to M-B's reputation.
I personally don't think the V6 models are a good drive. (I can't speak to the V8's as I've never driven one). And the interiors on pre-2001/2 vehicles are just cheap, as well. I mean really cheap. A family friend had a 1999 ML320, and interior pieces would regularly fall off--the glovebox door cover in particular. Combined with the fact that she had ongoing and consistent electrical problems, it was a thoroughly unimpressive vehicle.

Without even looking at JD POWER or Consumer reports......RUN......RUN FAST

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (kyokoris)

Quote, originally posted by kyokoris »
two of ma friends have em...
pretty decent cars... very reliable and pretty fast.however , they don't seem to stop well

because they weigh more than the moom

no really....their are classified as trucks and therefore all accountants who have them write them off completely

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (Sheynk)

Reliability improved after 2002 but still far from stellar. Power steering line will blow off the cooler - actually a recall on that. ML430/ML500 brakes squeal like crazy especially in cold weather. Drivers seat trim panels crack/break. Sound insulation falls inside the doors & roof leaving a black glue-like substance on the glass. Happens about every 2 years.... lol. BAS/ESP codes - mostly due to brake light switches. Power window switch fails - almost always the drivers window on models prior to 2002. Center bearings on the rear drive shaft. Cooling fan harness - blows fuses and a/c not terribly cold at low speeds. Beware crank pulley.dampner can seperate on high mileage units - $2500 is it (and usually does) take out the upper & lower oil pans, timing cover and belt tensioner...

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (VWGUY4EVER)

Quote, originally posted by VWGUY4EVER »
Reliability improved after 2002 but still far from stellar. Power steering line will blow off the cooler - actually a recall on that. ML430/ML500 brakes squeal like crazy especially in cold weather. Drivers seat trim panels crack/break. Sound insulation falls inside the doors & roof leaving a black glue-like substance on the glass. Happens about every 2 years.... lol. BAS/ESP codes - mostly due to brake light switches. Power window switch fails - almost always the drivers window on models prior to 2002. Center bearings on the rear drive shaft. Cooling fan harness - blows fuses and a/c not terribly cold at low speeds. Beware crank pulley.dampner can seperate on high mileage units - $2500 is it (and usually does) take out the upper & lower oil pans, timing cover and belt tensioner...

2002 was clearly the turning point for this vehicle. JD Powers gave it relatively mediocre ratings in that year, and for comparison, it was below the well-to-do Acura MDX.
As of the 2004 test, the M-Class scored quite a bit higher than the MDX with noteable improvements in mechanical, feature/accessory, and body/interior quality. It beat the MDX in all categories and is rated above average.
This was MB's problem vehicle and now is relatively problem free--and MB is quickly regaining its status as one of the top quality performers.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (GLS_VR6)

Bad as daily drivers, but bad almost at anything. Cheap interior, like something made 10 years ago. It might be replaced in no more than 2 years.
After working for a Mercedes dealer, I would say its a horrible car, it even looks so dated and uninspiring that for the money, I would go for a Grand Cherokee or something better looking (almost anything).

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (GLS_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by GLS_VR6 »

2002 was clearly the turning point for this vehicle. JD Powers gave it relatively mediocre ratings in that year, and for comparison, it was below the well-to-do Acura MDX.
As of the 2004 test, the M-Class scored quite a bit higher than the MDX with noteable improvements in mechanical, feature/accessory, and body/interior quality. It beat the MDX in all categories and is rated above average.
This was MB's problem vehicle and now is relatively problem free--and MB is quickly regaining its status as one of the top quality performers.

Agreed 2002 was a turning point but they're still far from stellar. Mechanicals are really no different from the 1998 intro, save for a different transfer case to get rid of the binding in low speed turns. The ML350 is simply a punched out 3.2ltr, it's not a new engine. The interior still rattles, the glove box door hinges still break, the evaporator drains still clog with ease. All that really happened in 2002 was some interior & exterior freshening up. There were no "real" mechanical differences. Sun roof deflectors still fly off, door lock actuators still go bad, BOSE sound systems still create headaches,engines burn oil at,to me, unacceptable levels....

·
Banned
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Mercedes Benz M class........reliability..... (eurotrash_pd)

Quote, originally posted by eurotrash_pd »
Ouch, I didn't realize how bad these things were.

If you want a really good and reliable SUV, you need to look at Toyota.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.