VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is a beautiful car, and i have always loved it. '
But is it really worth the 80-90k price tag?
My mother does not like BMWs or anything else, and she wants a large sedan. So we are pretty much set on a Benz, which is her favorite car. We will be at least getting an E430, but the thought of a nice S-Class is popping in and out of our heads.
Also, the AMG wheel Package for the Benz is about 4,500, which is very hefty.
I just don't like those ugly stock S-Class wheels. Is there anywhere i can purchase OEM AMG 18" or 19" wheels cheaper than the dealer?
Well post your opinions on this, i'd like to hear them. Ciao.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (jae1.8T)

My oldman put the W220 AMG staggered setup on his 00 S500, sport package wasn't available yet when he picked it up......you can get them much cheaper than what the dealer charges (think he paid $2800 for the wheels and Pilot Sports).
Tirerack has them.
Is the car worth $80k before options? Of course it isn't.....but if you want to drive these big fancy cars, they aren't cheap. Just remember that the Sclass is getting a mild makeover in 2003 (should be out in Oct-Nov).

[Modified by Beltfed, 9:24 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

S500 has a very nice balance between performance and handling. You don't feel its so large behind the wheel. The 4.3 V8 already felt fast, 5.0 is just overkill and 5.5 is a screamer. The problem is regarding its interior quality that doesn't live up to its $$$.

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (A4Jetta)

you mentioned the E-class, well...there's a new E on the way...it will be E320 and E500 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
525 Posts

None of those cars are worth the money. That is why they depreciate so much faster than anything else on the road. But, the big cars are what Mercedes does best, and the S500 is probably the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (Zinhead)

The best of the bunch is S55 AMG. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (A4Jetta)

Let me get this straight, you're going to buy a $90K car and also want to shop around for better prices on a wheel package that may save you $1K?

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (Digitalcandy)

quote:[HR][/HR]Let me get this straight, you're going to buy a $90K car and also want to shop around for better prices on a wheel package that may save you $1K?
[HR][/HR]​
Maybe his money tree isn't budding for spring yet

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (Digitalcandy)

quote:[HR][/HR]Let me get this straight, you're going to buy a $90K car and also want to shop around for better prices on a wheel package that may save you $1K?
[HR][/HR]​
Well yes. The Car is big money, but saving money where i can is not a bad thing, even if it is 1K. That 1K can be put towards a car payment or insurance. Who ever said saving some money and shopping around for the best prices was a bad thing? Even if it is measly compared to the money we are about to spend.
I know you were just joking, but i am just trying to prove a point.
I knew the E was getting a revision done and was set to come out this fall, but i didnt know of a new S?
Does anyone have any pics of these new cars?

·
Registered
525 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The Car is big money, but saving money where i can is not a bad thing, even if it is 1K. That 1K can be put towards a car payment or insurance. [HR][/HR]​
Let me get this straight, you're going to buy a $90K car and you need a loan to do so? Might as well flush your money down the drain while you are at it.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (Zinhead)

quote:[HR][/HR]Let me get this straight, you're going to buy a $90K car and you need a loan to do so? Might as well flush your money down the drain while you are at it.
[HR][/HR]​
Are you kidding? Most people who buy cars, especially expensive ones don't pay cash.....even if you have the money, why sink so much of it in a depreciating asset all at once (especially now that you can get great financing rates).

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (nokona)

quote:[HR][/HR]You know what?
NO car is worth $80,000.
After a certain point your money buys image and conspicuous consumption, not value.[HR][/HR]​
There are cars that literallly cost more than $80k in production costs, you know that, right?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (matt007)

i'll only take the S-class when i'm older (ya if i can afford it) but the E-class is more my style. i suggest going with the E

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (matt007)

quote:[HR][/HR]You know what?
NO car is worth $80,000.
After a certain point your money buys image and conspicuous consumption, not value.
There are cars that literallly cost more than $80k in production costs, you know that, right?[HR][/HR]​
Nokona is right. No car is worth that much, regardless of how much it cost to build it.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (turbo_nine)

Actually, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
If they have $90k and want to buy it--i.e., they'd rather have the
car than the money, then why the hell isn't the car worth that much?
I'll probably never be able to afford such a car, but I don't see whats
so hard to comprehend about spending that kind of money on a car.
What makes a $20k car worth 20k? A $50k worth 50k? Your willingness
to buy it! Frankly, I think a ferrari 360 Modena is worth every penny.
Its a rolling sculpture.
Hell, there are plenty of people here who have dumped half that into
mods for inexpensive VWs, rarely recovering any of it when they
move on to their next project.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Re: Merecedes Benz S500..Is it worth the money? (vertigo)

quote:[HR][/HR]Actually, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
If they have $90k and want to buy it--i.e., they'd rather have the
car than the money, then why the hell isn't the car worth that much?
I'll probably never be able to afford such a car, but I don't see whats
so hard to comprehend about spending that kind of money on a car.
What makes a $20k car worth 20k? A $50k worth 50k? Your willingness
to buy it! Frankly, I think a ferrari 360 Modena is worth every penny.
Its a rolling sculpture.[HR][/HR]​
Economically speaking you are perfectly right.
Realistically speaking... "rolling sculpture" does not justify a 360 Modena's existence. The only people buying it are those who have far more money than they need to get by and the "worth" of the car means little or nothing to someone who can afford it at that point. They are only subsidising the continuing efforts of people who are making cars that don't need to be made.. etc. Why do you think exotic car manufacturers have such a hard time in the slightest recessions?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.