VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 95' 2-door Golf Sport (OBDI)
On the way back from H20 me and a buddy were just messing around. We ran it from a rolling 1st and I owned him. We ran it from 3rd and I owned. Then we ran it from 4th and 5th just for the hell of it and this is when i was really disappointed. We both floor it and he's gaining a bit, but even after I hit 4000rpm, it still wasn't anything serious. Only until we started hitting 90+ I pulled ahead a tad.
My concern is that I have a bunch of mods so far and his car is stock and yet, 4th and 5th gear were very similar even after 4000rpm.
I have...
TT 268 cam with the cam gear sitting at 0 for now
TT 2" race downpipe (no cat)
TT EPROM
Modified airbox with dirty fram air filter (I know I know)
And currently running no muffler since it fell off
No A/C condensor and euro rad support (less weight if that is light enough to do anything)
I understand his car is lighter than mine, but common...?

Can somebody explain this to me?

Modified by JSK at 5:00 PM 9-27-2004

Modified by JSK at 9:30 AM 9-28-2004

· Premium Member
9,768 Posts
Re: Messed around with a 1.8L 86' GTI on the way back from H20. I'm disappointed. (JSK)

Shorter gear ratios and lighter weight help him. Plus the long gearing in the MK3's is not really suited for cammed cars.

· Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Messed around with a 1.8L 86' GTI on the way back from H20. I'm disappointed. (WolfGTI)

Can you explain this shorter gear ratio thing to me? I'm not too sure what that means as sad as that is.

· Registered
5,653 Posts
ever drive a rabbit and notice that the rpms/mi seem to be much higher than your mk3? or the difference between a 1.8t with a 5 speed or 6 speed tranny? it's the way the gear box is geared.
btw. I just saw a macy's add with a lady driving a corrado. very odd I thought.

· Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Messed around with a 1.8L 86' GTI on the way back from H20. I'm disappointed. (JSK)

Forgot to mention. I have a 95' Golf Sport (2-door OBDI).
I see what you guys are saying. No biggy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.