VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get a buzzing noise when i hit like 3200, i think its some kind of heat shield....was curious if anyone has had this experience....and either way i would like some opinions on where to look to get at this sound....then when i fix it i only have three other funny noises to get at

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: metal buzzing noise a3 gti (98vwgti)

It's probably what you think it is. Check the heatshield near the catalytic converter. They seem to work themselves loose every now and then. It's a simple fix at either the local muffler shop or wherever you can find a welder.
T.C.

·
Registered
278 Posts

if its around the rpm it mind be also your rods my old golf use to sound like that and i found out that it was my rods so i sold it, too big of a job to fix but it could also be your cataltic converter or just the heat shield that cover the down pipe by the cataltic converter open up the hood and see where its coming from rev it while u are under the hood if its coming from the engine u got a problem if not its nobiggie just lift up your car and go under and have oneone rev it. then u will now where its coming from.
hope that helps

·
Registered
37,355 Posts

You symptoms sound like the heat shield problem. There are 3 that typically come loose on the 2.0L
1) Exhaust manifold one that is right behind the engine.
2) The one on the Down Pipe.
3) The one on the Catalytic Converter.
I have had all 3 fixed, more than once. It does get really annoying. When you take it to the muffler shop to have them fix it have them check all 3. Should only cost you like $20 to have fixed if it is the above problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I can almost guarantee that the sound your hearing is your downpipe heatshield. About a million people have posted this same question and 9 times out of 10 it's the heatshield. Problem is getting at the damn thing to make it stop. You can either, cut the offending part off completely (for absolute peace of mind) or do like I did and put a big 'ol metal hose clamp around the base of the downpipe/heatsheild and tighten it down as much as possible (much easier but needs occasional retightening). You could also have your mechanic re-weld the heatshield where it connects at the top and/or base of the downpipe. Believe me when I say you're not alone on this one.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts

I have had that problem on my 1994 2.0L. It was the heat shield over the exhaust. My problem was due to rusting around the retaining nut. I just put a big a$$ washer on there and tightened that baby down. Not the best solution but certainly one to consider...until it rusts off again

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: metal buzzing noise a3 gti (Volkschnell)

i got out the rhino ramps and molested my car looking everywhere, its def. exhaust involved cause it screams right out the tail pipe, but it sounds like its coming off the downpipe shield...any hints/tips on how to get at it? would i be better off tightening it (if possible) or is it ok to rip the sucker off....its not the cat...and my father recommended i didnt take it off if it was...so would there be any downsides to removing it? or am i best off going to an exhaust shop....i am mechanically inclined but only a little

however, i appreciate all the posts I have gotten a lot. thanks!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: metal buzzing noise a3 gti (bajan01)

yeah i already fixed the bracket over the pipe just after the cat....the cat shield is welded on, and the whole area is rusted like a mutha....damn germans

·
Registered
281 Posts

I've got a 95 2.0 and once again last week had to chase some exhaust rattles. About '97 I ripped off the heat shield covering top of the manifold. Cracked in 6 places. Those are famous for cracking. Last week it was a pebble between the cat and its shield. Had to drop the cat to shake it out. Wished I would of had some shop air to blow the damn thing out with. The chop stick with wad of tape trick wasn't cutting it. Also where the heat shield crimps around the bottom of the downpipe was loose. A 2 1/4" muffler clamp will solve that problem. Available at your local pep boys or checkers for about $1.25. Looks just like the ones techtonics gives you with their exhausts. Happy rattle hunting.
Aloha

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: metal buzzing noise a3 gti (H2oVento)

i plan on ripping it out....its not the cat shield, checked that. im about 95% sure its the manifold shield.....whats a good way to get at that bad boy?

·
Registered
246 Posts

mine buzzes too but only when its in gear(usually 1st and 2nd) between 3 and 4000 rpm. I just ripped off the heat shield on the down pipe and it still buzes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: metal buzzing noise a3 gti (H Golf Sport)

WOW!
The Tex Rocks! I started hearing the vibrating buzzz, I was getting crazy, I didn't know where it was coming from, I was annoyed...
I checked the tex, i found this thread! I went home from work, found the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. Sure enough, one of the places where it bolts on had rusted through!!!!! I bent the metal with some pliers and then I actually stuffed some steel wool into the gap between the loose heat shield and the manifold itself. This WORKED GREAT!!!!!
The tex rocks!
L8r,
"Rattle free, JB"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts