VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
500e, 124 Spider, Exige
22,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

The MG 4 electric hatchback will arrive in the UK in early 2023, offering up to 443bhp and 442lb ft of torque in dual-motor performance form.

Revealed in China, where it's known as the MG Mulan, the latest in a growing range of MG EVs is the first to be based on parent company SAIC's new Modular Scalable Platform (MSP), which officials say will play a pivotal role in the brand's future plans.

The modular platform, which MG says supports wheelbases ranging from 2650mm to 3100mm and batteries ranging from 40kWh to 150kWh, has been conceived around a newly developed One Pack battery construction process. It uses horizontally stacked cells to provide a floor height of just 110mm, with the battery forming an integral part of the platform structure.

Originally exposed in a series of Chinese patent images earlier this year, the styling of the 4 represents a departure from other recent MGs, with crisper lines, sheer surfaces and detailing inspired by that first aired on the Cyberster roadster concept that was unveiled in 2021.

Key elements include a low front end featuring a large MG badge, angular headlights with distinctive “eyebrow” graphics and a heavily structured front bumper with additional lights integrated within the outer edges.

A pair of prominent swage lines are incorporated within the sides, while the lower section of the doors form part of an extended sill.

At the rear, the five-door hatchback receives a large two-part roof-extension-cum-spoiler above an angled tailgate, together with a complex full-width tail-light assembly featuring LED graphics.

Among the options is a full-length glass roof.

At 4287mm long (with a 2705mm wheelbase), 1836mm wide and 1506mm tall, the 4 is 25mm longer, 27mm wider but a good 46mm lower than the Volkswagen ID 3 – just one of a number of electric hatchback rivals that it will face.

MG has confirmed the 4 will be sold with the choice of 167bhp and 201bhp single-motor rear-wheel-drive and 443bhp dual-motor four-wheel-drive drivetrains.

The performance version is claimed to provide a 0-62mph time of 3.8sec. Top speed is limited to 99mph.

The 167bhp car receives a 51kWh battery, the 201bhp and 443bhp cars a 64kWh battery. Official WLTP range is put at between 218 and 280 miles.

MG is yet to confirm the chemistry of the batteries, but other models from the Chinese brand offer either lithium ion phosphate (LFP) or lithium nickel manganese cobalt (LNMC) cells.

MG has confirmed the One Pack battery will initially use a 400V architecture but says it can be upgraded to 800V for faster charging in the future.

SAIC deputy chief engineer Zhu Jun talked up the dynamic properties of the 4, suggesting the new platform and integrated battery provide it with a 50:50 weight distribution “for optimum driving pleasure”.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Gear shift Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
This is SAIC's "1979 Civic" - the car that established Honda as a credible threat to other car companies instead of a curious sideshow. SAIC is already the 5th largest EV seller in Europe... they gonna sell a lot of these.

·
Registered
36,096 Posts
It sure doesn't look like an MG.
Next!
Don't worry, they're working on that one.

·
Registered
48,297 Posts
It sure doesn't look like an MG.
Next!
Did you think that it would? Only the Miata has kept that form, and they fill the potential market for the most part.

This is another case of "evolve or die". Not all evolutions are successful, but certainly building 2-seat tiny roadsters would be a recipe for either a boutique business (a'la Morgan) or absolute disaster.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,462 Posts
Remember, MG didn't only make little sports cars:

This new one should do fine in the modern era.

·
Registered
31,731 Posts
Comes across as a knock off Lamborghini Anus to me.

·
Registered
48,297 Posts
I know, I've owned two of the three cars pictured, but they all still looked like MGs. This latest offering could be any bland eco-box.
I guess I would've lost more than a dollar, then! :)

That said, I remember one of the biggest transformations in a car company outside of the transitions from cars derived from the horse and buggy to post WWII modern. Seeing VW go from rear engine air-cooled designs to FWD water-cooled cars that had more in common with a Mini was difficult for a young kid just into the scene.

Now I fully understand how absolutely necessary it was, and had they not they would've been swept away. The same is true now with every legacy maker. The transition is going to be tough for a lot of people. VW's transition to its "third age" won't phase me so much, as I'm accustomed to it, prepared for it, see the inevitability of it, and I don't tie my self esteem to a for-profit corporation.

That said, I can also lament the passing of an age at the same time. 🍺

1 - 13 of 13 Posts