VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, I have a friend who is getting tired of her Civic, and is interested in a Saab 900 from the mid-90s. She asked me what I knew about them, and I don't know anything about them, so I thought I'd ask you characters!
She'd be looking to get one with around 100K miles on it.
How are the engines in these Saabs?
Anything she should look for? Reliability?
I know that it all depends on previous owners, but sometimes cars have a better reputation than others!
Thanks for any info! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Re: mid-90s Saab 900 . . . What can you tell me? (SpookyReverb)

I don't know much about them, my uncle had a 9000 and it was nothing but problems, although he kept it forever it seemed. Only thing intelligent in regards to the 900 I can say, stay clear of the N/A V6 models. Saab was good at building a solid 4 cyl, but the V6 engines left more to be desired for.
-Ryan

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

Get the pre-1994 900. They were wonderful.
The one you have pictured here is the GM bastardization and not particularly reliable.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts

Avoid the V6 engine. If you have to get a V6, yank it and drop in a dead water buffalo that has been sitting in the sun for a few days, you'll be better off.

Modified by mgbrickell at 7:44 AM 3-22-2006

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: mid-90s Saab 900 . . . What can you tell me? (mgbrickell)

As the others have said avoid the v6 and get the turbo 4. They are fantastic cars, if you go here http://www.saabcentral.com you will find out more about the cars. Most owners have hundreds of thousands of miles on them.
The key is to find one thats been looked after then it will run forever. The standard Saab 4 engine which has been used in different versions for decades and based off an old Triumph engine is about as bullet proof an engine as you could hope for.

·
Registered
628 Posts

My dad had a 1994 XS model. It had many vision problems with the front and rear posts and on occassions could do hurrendously low mileage (0MPG once!!!). But it is a comfortable car which performs well on motorways.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SpookyReverb »
Cool, I'll pass on the info about the 6 cylinder.
Was there an NA 4cyl and a turbo 4?

Yes. The 900 S came in a 150 hp 2.3l n/a four cylinder (basically a n/a version of the 2.3l used in the 9000 at the time) as well as a 2.0l turbo (185 hp).
These vintage 900's regardless of year should have most of the kinks worked out but the 1994-1996 were not very reliable initially. I would tend towards a 1997 or 1998, by which time the bugs had been worked out. Getting into the 1999 9-3 you probably get another bump in reliability as well.
The 2.0l and 2.3l engines are reworked versions of the same lump that has powered Saab's since the Dawn of Time, so they're pretty stout and durable. Saab just needed time to get the bugs worked out of all the anciallry stuff.
Solid cars and good utilitarian beaters for the price; should give you no more or less trouble than any similar-age Volvo, Audi, BMW etc.

Modified by HarryHood at 12:33 PM 3-22-2006

·
Registered
4,549 Posts

This applies to the GM, 1994+ version..
Good points:
-Lots of gadgets, very comfortable on long trips, relatively fast
-Can be had for cheap (poor resale)
-Good cargo capacity
-Decent mileage
-Stout engine (4 cyl)
Bad points:
-Manual shifter vague and rubbery, prone to breakage
-Turbos occasionally fail (dependent on PO maintenance habits)
-Interior rattles
-Minor electrical gremlins (heated seats stop working, pixels die on the displays, etc)
All in all it is a good car for someone who wants something a bit unique, reasonably sporty, has lots of gizmos, and can be had for very cheap.
A Volvo of the same vintage might be a better choice.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SpookyReverb »
Hey, lots of good information from you guys!
I appreciate the help!

I have some close friends driving these, all of them 2.3 non-turbo models, mostly with the stick. They're all pretty happy with reliability -- these are not particularly complicated vehicles. Remember that pre-98 models used a cable clutch which was prone to snapping once in a great while. I've advised the more capable ones to keep a spare one ($40?) in the hatch.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: mid-90s Saab 900 . . . What can you tell me? (240nut)

Quote, originally posted by 240nut »
A Volvo of the same vintage might be a better choice.
DITTO!!!!!

Based on what? At no point has he specified what her requirements are, and why she is looking at a 900, He just asked about the reliability of the car.
As usual any post with the mention of Saab and you jump in with your usual saab sucks, Volvo's rule bollocks.
Try answering his question if you want to be useful (as to the reliability of the 900) for all you know it might "have to have a hatchback" then which Volvo would be the better choice?

·
Registered
7,678 Posts

my dad's old 900 went for over 120k without any major problems - he did oil changes, tuneups every 30k and the car ran like a champ. and he averaged easily 25+mpg. he enjoyed it a lot, So i bought my 02' SE and he had nothing but good things to say about it based on his experience..
as of right now i've had two minor CEL's which were to do with some air bypass valves... im guessing thats mainly on the turbo models.. other than that i havent run into anything big (*knock on wood*) as of yet. I think its a very good car, and it would be tough trying to find a better car at a better price for the same model year. i hope she gets it, good luck!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Re: mid-90s Saab 900 . . . What can you tell me? (MrKennedy...Kennedy)

Quote, originally posted by MrKennedy...Kennedy »
...could do horrendously low mileage (0MPG once!!!).

How'd that happen?
I feel a story coming on...

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Re: mid-90s Saab 900 . . . What can you tell me? (kernelpanic)

Quote, originally posted by kernelpanic »
Try answering his question if you want to be useful

I did, and 240nut was just affirming that his opinion is the same as mine. Not a big deal, relax.

It is totally heresey on my end, but the few people that I know that've owned 850s and S70s have had less major issues than the 3 people I know that own GM era 900s. Take it for what you wish.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Re: mid-90s Saab 900 . . . What can you tell me? (3 Money Pits)

Quote, originally posted by 3 Money Pits »

I did, and 240nut was just affirming that his opinion is the same as mine. Not a big deal, relax.

It is totally heresey on my end, but the few people that I know that've owned 850s and S70s have had less major issues than the 3 people I know that own GM era 900s. Take it for what you wish.

And for me it's vice versa -- people who have the GM 900's have done better than the people I know with 850's and S70's.
I'll say this -- my V70R has been a mess of fussy little problems since day one. Quite unlike my Viggen and my classic 900.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: mid-90s Saab 900 . . . What can you tell me? (3 Money Pits)

Quote, originally posted by 3 Money Pits »

I know you did, thats why i quoted and was talking to 240nut

Who if you search his post soes nothing but pop up in every Saab thread, with a "Volvo is better" post.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.