VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what do you think, I am thinking about taking the engine/transaxle from my 71 beetle and putting it in the rear end of a two door rabbit (1982/83) to make a rear wheel drive mid engine rabbit. I know its crazy, but I like things like that and a challenge is always welcome.
also then at some point I would be able to put a subaru motor in it for some serious power for cheap.
any input/ideas would be great.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: mid engine Rabbit (truckinwagen)

Any reason you don't want to stick with a watercooled vw engine? In my experience it would seem easier, and be more, smoother power out of the box.
You just need to source a mkII or Corrado G60 or VR6 rear subframe, and figure out mounting points. The front mounting point is easy to do. Rear suspension would require grafting in front mkII strut mounts, or if you can find short struts to use the existing rear configuration of the rabbit.
I guess the benifit of your idea is suspension would be easier, but the mounting points and torsion bar seem way more challenging.
Good though, would be different with the beetle setup.

· Registered
26 Posts
Re: mid engine Rabbit (gtifly)

hey there,
i'm getting ready to try a 2.0 20v turbo in the back of my 83 gti. i want to use a complete front subframe/control arms assy. from the mk4 1.8t as the rear suspension, and for the front I would like to run mk3 spindles if they'll fit, i saw a 312mm brake kit that i want...i'm going to start sourcing parts over the next few months, then it's weld on!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.