VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

middle door moldings...?

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ~kInG~ 
#1 ·
all the pics i see of the Euro GTI have these rub strip moldings...
i wonder if we will be able to apply these to the GLI...?
would look sooooo much better IMO... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
as seen here...

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn, man- you're like a long-lost brother. You've got the same ideas for your GLI that I'd had for a Jetta V had I decided to get one.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't work, unless they have tabs that snap into holes in the sheetmetal. If that's the case, I bet you could "shave" the tabs off and use some 3M adhesive to install them...

#6 ·
Yes, that's the case, but they may also have tabs on them. That's how the MkIV rubstrips work, and the MkV versions are beefier (read: heavier), so I'd imagine they have tabs as well.
However, that doesn't mean they can't be cut off.

#8 ·
Re: middle door moldings...? (Diesel GLI)

I can't see them having two different door skins for cars with and without the door trim. Think of it, to keep tooling and production costs down (variety is more expensive), they might as well employ one tool to make the same door regardless if it will have trim or not - leading me to believe its a 3M adhered piece.
Also, its funny that this is mentioned, because while my Dad's analysis of the New Jetta was good overall, he felt the doors lacked something (trim).
Jon

#10 ·
Re: middle door moldings...? (VAG-MAN)

Well, as I'm not sure about the front doors, the rear doors are different on the Jetta than on the Golf. ...yes, they're using much more that are the same things to save money, but there are also many things that don't make sense why they would have different parts, whether it's US version vs. European version, or Golf vs. Jetta. The Jetta's dash/interior is a different material than the Golf. The US Jetta has red rear indicators instead of amber. US Jettas don't have the sliding cover type cupholder... Those are just a few of the differences. I imagine the Golf doors have holes for the little "guiding pegs" so you know exactly where the strip goes like the MKIV.

Modified by VWYankee at 7:33 AM 9-22-2005

#13 ·
Re: middle door moldings...? (Diesel GLI)

Quote, originally posted by Diesel GLI »
somehow i'm not seeing the differences in the four door Golf and Jetta's doors...

Look at the top rear part of the door (at the C pillar). The bottom part may be the same, but... My point is that they are different, even if it's just slightly.

Modified by VWYankee at 9:52 AM 9-22-2005

#15 ·
The rears sure don't look the same to me...
You can see a very minute difference in the shape of the small glass on both rear doors...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.