VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i might be getting a 2000 jetta GLX in the summer. I currently have a modified 96 civic. I always wondered what this "torque" thing everybody is talking about
But I was just wondering how the VR6 engine responds to mods (bolt ons, chips, turbos)....how hard is it to get 250-300 whp? I don;t know much about VW tuning, only about hondas. Are there many parts out there, cuz i'm used to honda, where you can get any part anywhere

Registered
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (ChaserGLX)

if you want cheap tunability get a 1.8T.. there is an SC out for the VR that runs about 4500 bucks and will get you right into your projected hp range.. There is no replacement for displacement, but it will be big bucks to get you there.. i decided to wait for the big bucks.. i prefer the growl of the vr6 over the spool of the 1.8T.. and the hp is fine for me for now.. i mean i plan on living past 21.. and i like my warranty.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Registered
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (ChaserGLX)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well i might be getting a 2000 jetta GLX in the summer. I currently have a modified 96 civic. I always wondered what this "torque" thing everybody is talking about
But I was just wondering how the VR6 engine responds to mods (bolt ons, chips, turbos)....how hard is it to get 250-300 whp? I don;t know much about VW tuning, only about hondas. Are there many parts out there, cuz i'm used to honda, where you can get any part anywhere
[HR][/HR]​
VW has a lot of aftermarket parts as well! Try looking in the Technical forums, you've got handfulls of info there. I'm not a pro into hardcore performance mods, but the general opinion here is that the best bang for the buck mods apply to the 1.8T (chip, turbo swap). However, I think if you've got the $$$ the VR6 can fly like a rocket.
Welcome to the family! Glad you switched from Honda... You'll love a dub buddy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (DuckyGTI)

i can only get a VR6 cuz my dad is gonna sell it to me for cheap...

Registered

VR6 AND 1.8T are two mighty damn good engines, but very different though.
As I've driven both, I'd say I prefer the VR6, but I've got 1.8T (cheaper base price AND cheaper insurance AND easy modability for later on). VR6 just had this natural "thing" there...
Hard to explain. Perhaps the lack of turbo lag.

Registered

start hitting up the 12v forum then http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif there are only a few vr6T guys on this forum.. matrix is supposed to be coming out with a kit, if they havent already.. for the sc search for z-engineering

Registered

Yep.. that's the 174hp engine. There is a new 24v engine just coming out now in Jettas, and will spark new GTIs in May approximately. 201hp.

Registered
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (TRBO-GTI)

i have the car you are talking about and I love it -- awesome engine
edit -- if you're in vancouver anytime soon shoot me an email and i'll take you for a spin
[email protected]

[Modified by Blue Flame, 12:31 AM 4-9-2002]

Registered

If you're into modding a VR6, it can get expensive, but if you can do it reliably, then it's worth it, IMHO.
Gotta get all the basics before you mod the engine, though. Suspension, wheels/tires, swaybar(s), exhaust, brakes, differential, clutch. After all that (and any other cosmetic mods you "need"), then you'll be looking at $4-5k for a turbo or SC kit.
I've put ~$6k into my car, and I still have the stock stereo, no body kit, and no "big brake" upgrade. Toooooo much money.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (Max Rebo)

all i want i guess is around 230 hp, these things are bloody heavy cars. My honda with that power would dominate all... Is there any way you can do that without going FI, but not spending a ton on NA parts? my first mods would prolly be a set of good springs and some 18's anyways, maybe some other suspension components since i don't really lke the body roll in it.

Registered

I have to agree with what everyone else here has said. If you plan on tuning your car the 1.8T has far more potential for far less money. To get any kind of results from the VR6 your gonna spend big bucks. Then again your question about torque tells me the 1.8T would be perfect for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (Corradodrvrfnd)

but i can't get a 1.8T, only a GLX since my ad is selling me his....

Registered

ok, so the 1.8t isn't an option. The power potential in the VR6 is 174 hp and 181 ft lbs of torque at 1700 RPM's. To get any kind of results tuning it, your gonna have to spend big bucks. But the stock VR6 is no slug it can be quite a thrilling ride if you drive it hard.

Registered
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (Corradodrvrfnd)

Decent gains are attainable with a VR6 chip. Check the link in my sig. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I say go for it dude, the VR is still a great motor!

Banned

quote:[HR][/HR]but i can't get a 1.8T, only a GLX since my ad is selling me his....
[HR][/HR]​
Then why are you even comparing 1.8t and VR6??
Unless you buy yourself a 1.8t GTI? I think your father is planning on selling his VR6 and getting himself a 1.8t

Registered
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (soundzero)

quote:[HR][/HR]Then why are you even comparing 1.8t and VR6??
[HR][/HR]​
He's not, other peeps brought the 1.8t into the mix

ChaserGLX: if you're looking for 230hp without going forced induction then good luck. With cams, intake, exhaust, and chip in your 12V IMO you'd be at around 200hp. No slouch! Then you could save up for a turbo set up and then you're cookin. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (NeoJetta)

aight cool...i just don't know much about vw and what kinds of mods are out there. Chips aren't really big in hondas unless ur car is heavily modified. I wouldn't be dissapointed with 200 hp at all
'll just have to put the car on a diet, i think it weighs in at 3106 lbs

Registered

230hp NA isn't really possible without some top-end work. Cams, port & polish, BVH, etc. That costs some bucks.
Stick with a chip, exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires and you'll be set for a while. Then save for a Z-charger. If you don't want to fiddle with more mods afterwards, the SC kit is a good choice. Plus, it's easy to install and remove. That makes around 270hp and 245lb*ft, but it's progressive power b/c of the nature of the centrifugal blower. And...unless you redline your engine 100% of the time, you're not using 100% of the available boost all the time. It's there when you need it -- you just have to rev higher.

I have to wait until we buy a house, anyway, so all I can do is learn and drool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.