VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,715 Posts
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (ChaserGLX)

If you're into modding a VR6, it can get expensive, but if you can do it reliably, then it's worth it, IMHO.
Gotta get all the basics before you mod the engine, though. Suspension, wheels/tires, swaybar(s), exhaust, brakes, differential, clutch. After all that (and any other cosmetic mods you "need"), then you'll be looking at $4-5k for a turbo or SC kit.
I've put ~$6k into my car, and I still have the stock stereo, no body kit, and no "big brake" upgrade. Toooooo much money.

·
Registered
14,715 Posts
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (ChaserGLX)

230hp NA isn't really possible without some top-end work. Cams, port & polish, BVH, etc. That costs some bucks.
Stick with a chip, exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires and you'll be set for a while. Then save for a Z-charger. If you don't want to fiddle with more mods afterwards, the SC kit is a good choice. Plus, it's easy to install and remove. That makes around 270hp and 245lb*ft, but it's progressive power b/c of the nature of the centrifugal blower. And...unless you redline your engine 100% of the time, you're not using 100% of the available boost all the time. It's there when you need it -- you just have to rev higher.

I have to wait until we buy a house, anyway, so all I can do is learn and drool.

·
Registered
14,715 Posts
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (donmoses)

quote:[HR][/HR]Why get a GLX if your going for power? The vr6 is 200lbs heavier than the 1.8t or 2.0 which means its the worse handeler of the bunch. If your constantly flooring it your gas mileage will be about the same as a 1990 Chevy Tahoe. People have spend $3500 on chip intake coilovers and tires only to run 14.4-14.6. Even if you did that youll get 200 crank hp and will never get close to 245ft torque. Do yourself a favor and get a 1.8t. Better handling, cheaper, better gas mileage, rock solid audi motor, and most of all upgradable. Many people are running 13's with chip/turboback exhaust and good tires. Check out http://www.18turbo.com/18t-quartermile.html . Honestly ther eis no reason to get a Vr6 right now except for the GLX features. Do yourself a favor and kill hondas for us! You can upgrade your turbo too! 3000 kit will get you deep in the 13s! The vr6 has torque but nothing compared to a modded 1.8t it will loose on hte highway and on the local streets. The only thing yull beat are hondas and acuras. If you want to play with the big boys and run 13s with minimal mods lets make the right choice!!![HR][/HR]​
Jesus Christ . . . not everyone's interested in 1/4 mile times.
Sure, a $3-4k upgrade will get a 1.8T into the 13's. It will also do the same for a VR6. Also, 200lbs doesn't mean jack if you have the suspension properly set up, and it means even less if straight roads/tracks are your mainstay. If you constantly floor a 1.8T, you'll get crappy gas mileage, too -- maybe a bit better than the VR6, but it will still be crappy, especially when you're using more fuel to produce all that additional power from a chip or a turbo upgrade. Besides, the guy is getting a VR6 for cheap, it's hard to go wrong when you can get a deal. BTW -- the VR6 motor is rock-solid, too. If we really wanted to play with the "big boys," we'd buy a Porsche.
No hard feelings . . . just telling it like it is, same as you.

[Modified by Max Rebo, 8:33 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.