VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (ChaserGLX)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well i might be getting a 2000 jetta GLX in the summer. I currently have a modified 96 civic. I always wondered what this "torque" thing everybody is talking about
But I was just wondering how the VR6 engine responds to mods (bolt ons, chips, turbos)....how hard is it to get 250-300 whp? I don;t know much about VW tuning, only about hondas. Are there many parts out there, cuz i'm used to honda, where you can get any part anywhere
[HR][/HR]​
VW has a lot of aftermarket parts as well! Try looking in the Technical forums, you've got handfulls of info there. I'm not a pro into hardcore performance mods, but the general opinion here is that the best bang for the buck mods apply to the 1.8T (chip, turbo swap). However, I think if you've got the $$$ the VR6 can fly like a rocket.
Welcome to the family! Glad you switched from Honda... You'll love a dub buddy!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Re: Might bew getting a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6, what kind of power potenital is there? (ChaserGLX)

VR6 AND 1.8T are two mighty damn good engines, but very different though.
As I've driven both, I'd say I prefer the VR6, but I've got 1.8T (cheaper base price AND cheaper insurance AND easy modability for later on). VR6 just had this natural "thing" there...
Hard to explain. Perhaps the lack of turbo lag.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts

Yep.. that's the 174hp engine. There is a new 24v engine just coming out now in Jettas, and will spark new GTIs in May approximately. 201hp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.