VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been haggling with California DMV for the last few days and I'm not sure if I'm going to win or not. The title was missing on the GLI we bought in Santa Rosa last week, but I got all the proper paperwork etc. to do the transfer/title replacement with the purchase. I had to register my Passat this week, so I took the paperwork for the Jetta in with me just to see if I could deal with all that here, no dice w/o the title (which is what I expected.) So I get on the phone with Cal. DMV to find out where I need to send the stuff to get a replacement title. Well, they are insisting that I get the car smogged in California. This wouldn't have been a big deal had I known while I was already in CA. When I made the arrangements for purchase, one of the big selling points for the guy was that since I wasn't going to be registering the car in CA he wouldn't have to get it smogged, and if he had the title there would have been no problem. I would have gone into OR DMV and got it handled on Tuesday as well.
Anyways, you can only get through to the CA DMV on the phone every 5 or so tries, then you have to wait on hold for 20-30minutes to talk to somebody. The first time I get through I get to talk to a snotty asian lady who doesn't speak very good english so I have to constantly ask her to repeat what she's saying. This could be a factor leading to her snottiness, and I have no problem with people not speaking english at all, much less poorly. I just think that if you're going to work for a government agency in a phone answering role, you should be able to communicate effectively, thereby cutting down on the time you spend on every call, and at the very least, you shouldn't get pissy with people who have to ask you to repeat yourself all the time. So I call back later in the afternoon, and find out that I HAVE to get the car smogged in CA in order for them to do any form of title transfer, and they won't accept an Oregon DEQ slip as proof of said smog. It doesn't matter to them that any yahoo with a garage in CA can do a smog check, but in Oregon, you must go to a state run location to get it done. And all of this is besides the fact that our cars are all registered in Canby on my wife's family's farm so we don't have to have our cars DEQd and so our insurance is cheaper.
It's looking like I'm going to have to make a trip down to Yreka in the next couple of weekends to handle this issue. Our kids (4 year old son, 8 month old daughter) held up on the road trip back the first time incredibly well. But I don't think that 10 hours in the car with your final destination being home would be very fair to them, and it would just be better to have my wife stay with them instead of trying to find a babysitter for the day (and the people who would probably do it I can't stand and would never allow them to watch both of my kids for an extended amount of time.)
So, if somebody wants to co-drive my 92 GLI (pic is in my sig) on a day long road trip to nowhere, I'd be quite grateful. I'll cover food etc. for the day, and buy you some beer when we get back (provided your of legal drinking age, don't you know there's an underage drinking epidemic.)

· Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Might need a co-driver for a day trip to Yreka, CA from PDX or California DMV RANT (PDX Cabby)

I'm going to get it DEQd and then send in the paperwork, in hopes that will work. But it'll probably be on a Saturday or Sunday in the next month or so. The CA tags expire this month, so I'll either have to get it remedied, or a trip permit.
then the running joke of "damn california drivers" won't be as funny

· Registered
6,868 Posts
Re: Might need a co-driver for a day trip to Yreka, CA from PDX or California DMV RANT (highme)

sounds good... i've got 3 day weekends now a days, and my calender is looking pretty empty for the most part... if it doesn't interfere with waterwagons or the like, i'm game...

· Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Might need a co-driver for a day trip to Yreka, CA from PDX or California DMV RANT (PDX Cabby)

Forgot to say, if you have a gameboy advance, or a laptop with a DVD that would be fantastic!!!! nothing like a little on road entertainment. I also have to get the stereo installed in it, because I'm not making that trip again without music.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.