VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 'lil bro is looking at an '87 GTI 16V, which has 145,000 mi on it. Now if it was an 8V, the milage wouldn't be as big of an issue, but it is a 16V and, from what I've seen, they don't typically last as long as the 8-valvers. I haven't seen the car in person yet, but the car looks real clean in the pics. How long do the 16V last? What should he expect to pay for it? The guy is asking $3k for the car plus a set of 15x7's and tires, which is too high in my opinion. Any help is, as always, appreciated.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Re: mileage "limits" for an '87 16V? (sheetone)

The last '87 GTi 16v that I purchased had roughly 227K on the original motor (never opened) - IIRC, I paid $600. The one before had 165K on the clock which cost me about $1300 a few years prior. I raced that motor for 2 years before it swallowed a valve which was more a function of Intersport Performance than anything else.
145K isn't outrageous for an '87 car - 14 years/145K miles is only about 10K miles/year which is quite low. As with most cars, especially VWs, maintenance is critical - if the car is well maintained, then it's probably worth the $3K. If the car has been a "kid's" car that's been thoroughly thrashed, run away.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Re: mileage "limits" for an '87 16V? (mgyip)

does the PO have a lot of receipts? proof of work? also,,,check the oil pressure, it can be another good indicator, other than completely dirty oil and white smoke of high cylander wear.
just my .02, hope it helped
good luck on getting a good MK2,
Dave
p.s., i just got an 86 8v, w/ 164, that needs work, but runs very strong, for $100, and a set of great power wolfberg recaros for 250! wow,,,sorry im just super happy about my project, i hope that guy comes through w/ those carbon hoods,,, WAAAAAHHAHAHA!!!!!

[Modified by turbo95jettavr6, 4:41 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Re: mileage "limits" for an '87 16V? (turbo95jettavr6)

quote:[HR][/HR]does the PO have a lot of receipts?[HR][/HR]​
he just said he was looking at buying a 16V. of course the PO is going to have TONS of receipts. i say be wary and try to talk the price down...i would take it to a shop first too to check it out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: mileage "limits" for an '87 16V? (bpfoley)

thanks for the help guys. I just bought myself an '88 8V ($400) a couple of months ago. It's sort of a project car and a grocery getter since I'm rackin up the miles on my mkIV. Of course, my youngest brother (14)already has eyes on it with a list of mods in hand!
I guess this guy is the original owner and has "all documentation". I'll probably take a look at it this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.