VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Re: Miles on Our Engines (Mr_Ginzo)

I have 181,000 miles, on a stock 1.8, just had the head off for the first time (that I know of) to do a headgasket (just for a small leak down the back of the block).
No majior problems
When buying a 16v, ask about
regular oil changes
Does it burn any oil (valve stem seals are common)
Did the timing belt ever break
There is more that I am forgetting.
Once you do get one, change the timing belt, DO NOT believe what the owner has told you, change the belt. It is a small piece of insurance.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Re: Miles on Our Engines (PowerDubs)

Well my odometer broke about 1 - 1.5 years ago and stopped at 180,000. Right now i estimate the motor to have around 195,000 miles. Still run pretty decent, it just needs a little tuning. I havent had any major problems other then my current very bad oil leak. Make sure you change the timing belt when you get it, its fairly cheap and easy to do, just to be safe. I really havent had any complaints with it, i love 16Vs

· Registered
907 Posts
Re: (HidRo)

ive got 151k on a 1.8 16v that ive had for over 3 yrs and the odo was stuck when i got it, so theres no tellin how many miles are on it......
and my 2.0 16v has almost 157 on it now w/ a workin odo
both of em still pull hard and scream!!!
just make sure unless you have documentation (recent repair) to go ahead and do timing belt/tensioner!

· Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC | 2022 Porsche 718 Boxster T
6,302 Posts
Re: (Watertight)

154K on my GTI, but I've only had it since about 150. Old owner blew a tranny around 95K...it machined itself...that's the only major problem I know of with the car, it's stock other than a TT exhaust and K & N drop-in, lower temp thermostat and fan switch.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Re: (John Y)

180,000 miles.... you would never know.
I also suggest get a new cap and rotor, inspect engine mounts and check if the waterpump is connected to the block with orignal mount holes or it is heli-coiled and block holes are damaged.
Clean the TB and upper and lower manifold runners, inspect valve cover gasket on right hand side of engine near distributor cap for leaks...
Pull plug wires to find if oil is sitting in plug cylinders. If CIS-E buy fuel enrichment module, if Motronic buy chip well worth the money.
Clean all ground contacts (I am doing this this week) weak part of our electrical system.
Have dealer do recall check to make sure all recalls we completed.

Modified by ChrisG at 7:52 PM 1-11-2004

· Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
34,875 Posts
Re: Miles on Our Engines (Mr_Ginzo)

226k original owner miles

· Registered
495 Posts
Re: Miles on Our Engines (Blacklightning)

180K miles on this? ChrisG I have to hand it to you. Your car is AWESOME!

92 spec, lay flat wiper conversion, looks like candied taillights, factory BBS, lowered, rare white color.. mmmm
I would go back to the stock flares though, those G60 ones stick out too much.

· Registered
2,094 Posts
Re: Miles on Our Engines (SlowCorrado)

Had 168k on mine when I swapped in a 2.0L 16V... took apart the 1.8L block and the main bearings looked brand new! The original ran great and had the crap driven out of it every day of its life

My friends odometer stopped at 128k 12 years ago... we estimate it has ~300k on it as it was driven 60 miles or more just about every day since then. (long commute) It has the crap driven out of it everywhere. The outer intermediate shaft bearing was disentegrated last summer when I changed the timing belt... the rod caps had some play on them too. Its top speed is 92 mph but it still redlines around 7k RPMS lol... that poor motor is totally clapped out. After driving it for about 4 hours it gets "tired" and has like half the HP it did when it first started...
Anyways rebuilt motor going in it soon

Things to look out for with 16V? Bad grounds, vacuum leaks, oil in the distributor, injection issues, self machining transmissions.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.