VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think I've narrowed the search for the perfect exhaust (for me, that is) down to these two and have read just about every post on both systems at this point (both recent and archived). I am leaning toward the Milltek based on various reviews I've read here and elsewhere, however, I would be interested in hearing more about the pros/cons of both systems from both Jetex/Milltek owners and 24v exhaust aficionados alike. There really doesn't seem to be too much 24v press on the Jetex that I could find (maybe that's a sign?).
I love the look and sound of the eG system as well, but they're fresh out of VR6 catbacks at the moment and I'm a less than patient guy (and I've heard it can be a little droney at times).
At the end of the day, I'm looking for superior fitment/finish, real power gains, and a low deep tone (comparable to the 350Z or G35), but absent the drone around town and at highway cruising speeds. If I thought my wife would let me get away with it, I'd probably roll with the Magnaflow (but she won't and that's not a battle I'm willing to fight,
) so strong and (almost) silent it must be.
Thanks for your help/guidance! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (for those lookng for a "quiet ... (chuckt75)

milltek, and if you want an even louder/deeper noise then what a VR milltek will give you get a turbo version i think it sounds beautiful and is not loud in any sence of the word, just LOUDER

·
Registered
2022 Taos 4-motion , 2021 Jetta S
789 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (2002gtibluvr6)

FWIW - I was on the phone with Stratmosphere the other day...they said turbo version might reduce too much back pressure and effectively reduce torque. I ended up ordering Super Sprint for $349.99 from Nick at NA Motorsports.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (Peel Box)

Peel Box - How/why did you ultimately decide on Supersprint? I know it has a solid reputation in the market and is supposedly one of the more sedate systems as well, but tell me more. . .

P.S. Greg at Stratmosphere had the same advice for me about installing the Turbo catback on our cars (reduction in back pressure and therefore sacrifice of low end torque - stick with the VR version made for the VR), but I know that gtibluvr6 and others are a big fan of this setup.

Modified by chuckt75 at 5:50 PM 6-22-2005

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (chuckt75)

I can appreciate the wife thing...
I've had my Magnaflow cat-back on since last fall. I'm ready to ditch it. After 2-3 layers of dynamat and replacing the resonator with a 22" unit, it's still too loud inside the car.
I got a chance to hang out with a 1.8t owner with Milltek. Noticed the muffler is like 3x larger than my Magnaflow. Sounds like stock at normal driving, but opens up a tad when getting on it. But the only down side I noticed was that the tips come up from the muffler at an angle. We all know that SS expands when hot, so this led to a slight uneven look after a good spirited drive throught he twisties.
I don't have the funds for either the Milltek or EG Solid right now, so am investigating throwing my stock exhaust back on with the smallest resonator I can find in hopes of that, "just a little more sound than stock" sound.

·
Registered
2022 Taos 4-motion , 2021 Jetta S
789 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (chuckt75)

Quote, originally posted by chuckt75 »
Peel Box - How/why did you ultimately decide on Supersprint? I know it has a solid reputation in the market and is supposedly one of the more sedate systems as well, but tell me more. . .

I went with the Super Sprint merely because I wanted the "best" I could get and you only have one chance to do it right. To me, Super Sprint and Milltek are the best and most quiet. Not to mention the fact I paid $389.00 shipped to my door for the rear section only SS91.26.25 (part#). I have the resonator replacement pipe already from Parts4VW's.com - it was like $40.00 - so technically it'll be a cat back system. I'll let you guys know how it sounds with vids/sound clips when I get it this weekend.
EDIT: The Milltek would have been $540.00 shipped - not much more powerful IMO.

Modified by Peel Box at 7:57 AM 6-22-2005

·
Registered
389 Posts
didn't really take the time to read any of the other posts.... i have a milltek on mine, my goal was good performance, but quiet too... i am totally happy with it.... great power and sometimes i don't think its load enough...... then i roll down the window.... i am putting a testpipe on this week or next, that should make it a little louder..... but anyway, milltek is good....

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (traffic)

Quote, originally posted by traffic »
I can appreciate the wife thing...
I've had my Magnaflow cat-back on since last fall. I'm ready to ditch it. After 2-3 layers of dynamat and replacing the resonator with a 22" unit, it's still too loud inside the car.
I got a chance to hang out with a 1.8t owner with Milltek. Noticed the muffler is like 3x larger than my Magnaflow. Sounds like stock at normal driving, but opens up a tad when getting on it. But the only down side I noticed was that the tips come up from the muffler at an angle. We all know that SS expands when hot, so this led to a slight uneven look after a good spirited drive throught he twisties.
I don't have the funds for either the Milltek or EG Solid right now, so am investigating throwing my stock exhaust back on with the smallest resonator I can find in hopes of that, "just a little more sound than stock" sound.

My buddy has Magna Flow on his 12V and his Muffler is pretty small and it drones, my other buddy has Magna Flow on his 24v and his muffler is longer and it doesnt drone.
Didnt really know there are different sises in MagnaFlow mufflers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (rajvosa71000)

Great reviews/input guys, thanks!
Another Milltek question: has anyone with the resonated 24v Milltek removed their resonator altogether? If so, how does it sound in comparison, and are there any adverse consequences to removing the resonator? Is the resonator simply designed to quiet/mellow the exhaust? Mine is shipping to my garage tomorrow
, so I'll need to make the resonator/no resonator decision asap!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (rajvosa71000)

Quote, originally posted by rajvosa71000 »

My buddy has Magna Flow on his 12V and his Muffler is pretty small and it drones, my other buddy has Magna Flow on his 24v and his muffler is longer and it doesnt drone.
Didnt really know there are different sises in MagnaFlow mufflers

This is news to me. I wonder if Magnaflow got too many complaints and decided to change their design a bit. However, mine is for the valence cut-out so I assumed they were targetting the newer models.
Anyway, I'm back to stock. Too quiet now. Can't even hear my engine on the freeway anymore. Good thing there is the intake roar when I'm on the gas.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (traffic)

The Autotech exhaust I have on my car is pretty quiet. It was cheap, sounds like an R at 4k, not to mention pretty deep. Kinda wish it was a little louder though. Love to drive with the windows down. You may want to check that out.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (YoungRepublic)

Jetex since I own one since 01, it's got that purr I've always wanted. I've had a SuperSprint, Borla, Autotech but being in the quiet when needed to be lowkey and explosive once it's floored. Not many have them because they keep it to themselves, I just felt sharing this morning....

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: Milltek or Jetex Exhaust For Our Cars (waterpumper)

Where are you located? How much, I'd be interested...
I am looking for one that dosnt drone on the freeway, and make some gains (or I'd just leave the stock system on). So from waht I have read that means like a Milltek, EG Solid, Jetex, and I have heard that a TT system with the larger Magnaflow mufller also works good. Anyone here running a setup like that ?
EDIT: So which one of these can be had for the cheapest, and where?

Modified by PhReE at 9:00 AM 7-30-2005

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: (1986 jetta gli)

Quote, originally posted by 1986 jetta gli »
dont go cheapest, i wouldnt for my car even though im not rich?

Well I am not looking for THE CHEAPEST exhaust I can gat, but the cheapest quiet one. All the quet ones seem to be pretty good quality ones anyways.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.