VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milltek Turbo back Updated...*PICS as Requested*

I bought the turbo back a month ago from stratmosphere. After several days of adjusting and trying to make the tips centered in the cut out of the valence w/o vibration and sagging. I have discovered the only way to do this is with a clamp on the rubber hanger over the axle and 1 zip tie at the hanger at the muffler. I have gotten the tips exactly dead center and pretty flush. (I dont like how others make their tips stick out the valence).
Performance and sound quality is 10, however id rate the fitting a disappointment especially when I threw down over 1 large. Even if I could get the tips straight and no vibrations...it still would sag after heat up and look like crap. The fix was only cost a mere dollar, but still... for the money I paid, I wish fitment was perfect.
On another note I hope Milltek shortens the hangers for better fit in the future. If they had known it expands and sags under heat why couldnt they do it when I got mine

Enough whining... I'll get some pics up tommorow

Modified by mJstk01 at 4:33 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
789 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated... (mJstk01)

That's disappointing to hear, especially because I am planning to go Milltek for my exhaust upgrade. I don't want boy racer noize and droning. Post up the pics when you get a moment, and thanks for the review.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated... (asphalt_guy)

Quote, originally posted by asphalt_guy »
That's disappointing to hear, especially because I am planning to go Milltek for my exhaust upgrade. I don't want boy racer noize and droning. Post up the pics when you get a moment, and thanks for the review.

Yea thats dissappointing. I was looking into Milltek also.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay here are the pics as requested... Please excuse the dirtiness.

All these pics are of the turbo back once it has been fully warmed and has expanded. The first few pics... it may seem as if the tips arent perfectly centered in the valence cutout, but I assure you they are!
Its just the lighting. And no the car is not lopsided... the storage area ground is slanted pretty high.
Once I get her finished up with my projects and custom work, ill post of pic of her nice and clean.

Modified by mJstk01 at 4:16 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated...*PICS as Requested* (mJstk01)

I had the same problems with my CB, bugged the hell out of me, and rather than using zipties I just bent the rear-most hanger down a little more than an inch...so it raised the tips up. Then I used a SS hose clamp on the rear-most hanger to center the tips. Once the rear exhaust hanger is through the rubber mount I slid the exhaust to the left...so that there was a 1" space of hanger on the left side of the rubber mount. I then put the hose clamp on the hanger so it took up the space/slop left after sliding over. Now the tips sit flush and centered.
When looking back, most of this could've been avoided by making sure the over-axle pipe is all the way , and completely, in the muffler. By doing this the muffler would be raised up...but it was a PITA getting the over-axle pipe in the muffler to begin with.
If you're having issues with the tips sticking out too far, or not far enough, just loosen the front-most clamp (towards the engine) and use a rubber mallet to persuade the exhaust forward or back by tapping the resonator forward or back. This will cause the entire exhaust to slide forward or back, and your tips will stick out more...or less, depening on which way you go with it.
The only issue I have now is after the exhaust is hot, my tips grow about 1" in length...but it doesn't bother me much, if at all.
No exhaust is going to be perfect, they all need some tweaking...or sometimes you get lucky on the first shot. After making a few small adjustment I can say I'm 100% satisfied with my choice. If anyone is considering this exhaust don't let these little details deter you...they can be taken care of with a little ingenuity and advice from these forums.

Modified by smiGTi at 6:14 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mJstk01 »
I bought the turbo back a month ago from stratmosphere. After several days of adjusting and trying to make the tips centered in the cut out of the valence w/o vibration and sagging. I have discovered the only way to do this is with a clamp on the rubber hanger over the axle and 1 zip tie at the hanger at the muffler. I have gotten the tips exactly dead center and pretty flush. (I dont like how others make their tips stick out the valence).
Performance and sound quality is 10, however id rate the fitting a disappointment especially when I threw down over 1 large. Even if I could get the tips straight and no vibrations...it still would sag after heat up and look like crap. The fix was only cost a mere dollar, but still... for the money I paid, I wish fitment was perfect.
On another note I hope Milltek shortens the hangers for better fit in the future. If they had known it expands and sags under heat why couldnt they do it when I got mine

Enough whining... I'll get some pics up tommorow

Modified by mJstk01 at 4:33 PM 5-21-2004

I am hoping you can answer a question for me. About how far from the back of the muffler to the ends of the tips? Are the tips and pipes connecting them to the muffler the same OD, or are the tips bigger?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Ditto.. But for me, it only held for about a month, then the hose clamp fell off. I went to a performance shop they bolted on bigger, better clamps and since then I've had no fitment issues in almost 2 years.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Re: (mJstk01)

that's as good a fit you'll get w/milltek. looks real tight. i painted the back of the muffler w/heat resistant black paint. the tips look like they just "appear" - real stealthy

·
Banned
14,183 Posts

I've got a 1.8T also and am interested in a Milltek. Can you describe the sound compared to stock. And why you chose the Milltek's sound over other exhausts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated...*PICS as Requested* (hawc)

Quote, originally posted by hawc »
I've got a 1.8T also and am interested in a Milltek. Can you describe the sound compared to stock. And why you chose the Milltek's sound over other exhausts.Thanks.

Milltek is just alittle louder then stock an no drone. TT is nice, but drones. GHL makes a quiet version also. But dont know which is better.
Personally, I am getting the Milltek unless someone gives me better reason to get the GHL Quiet Version. I had a TT on my Golf and it did drone.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated...*PICS as Requested* (VWGolfA4)

Quote, originally posted by VWGolfA4 »

Milltek is just alittle louder then stock an no drone. TT is nice, but drones. GHL makes a quiet version also. But dont know which is better.
Personally, I am getting the Milltek unless someone gives me better reason to get the GHL Quiet Version. I had a TT on my Golf and it did drone.

my ghl is definetly faster than my egsolid(milltek clone) but i have no resonator
and it sounds soo much nicer.

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated...*PICS as Requested* (poopy_pants)

i had a hard time getting my setup done right. if i had to do it again i'd just take it to a reputable muffler shop to get it done all at once instead of over a month wrenching it in my driveway. there's a reason i'm not a mechanic...

·
Registered
11,911 Posts

I've got a 1.8T also and am interested in a Milltek. Can you describe the sound compared to stock. And why you chose the Milltek's sound over other exhausts.
Thanks.

it's quiet and rumbly when putzing around. it gets much meaner when you're on throttle but not air raid loud.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Thanks.

It's a little louder than stock at idle and when cruising around...but it's got a deeper, burbly sound to it where as the stock one was whisper quiet. When you get on the gas it opens up and sounds damn good...but not tinny or annoying, deeper mellow sound.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated... (VDUBNDizzy)

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »
Their catback is awesome. But for the price of it and the DP, it's nothing special.

There's a reason their dp/cat cost so much more. The cat is not your average hi-flo cat and is made of different material than most others out there.

On paper, sure, it's worth it. But *personally* I just can't justify the excessive cost and would just as soon buy 2 other aftermarket dp's, still save some money, and then call it a day.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Re: Milltek Turbo back Updated... (Dr. Edlocks)

it's supposedly platinum coated...ounce for ounce more expensive than gold.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
When Stratmosphere got the new Milltek design slightly less than a year ago, they had one installed on my car to test the fitment before they sold any. They wanted to make sure it fit perfectly before shipping them off to anyone (good service!).
I brought the system to a local shop that works with Stratmosphere, who installed the system on my car. Fitment was great and there was no rattles. It stayed that way for a year until....
Recently I was messing around with some things and had to drop the exhaust system. I threw it back on, and it was okay but the alignment was a bit off, there was no rattling however.
Time/space constraints prevented me from messing with it myself, so I took it to a different shop to have the system aligned again. They aligned it slightly better, but it was still off, and had also now caused it to rattle. After taking it back again, they made the system even more mis-aligned, and it still rattled. The shop says they will have to replace one of the pipes to get it to fit. Clearly BS since I've already had the system perfect on my car before.
Bottom line... it is possible to get this system to fit perfect and be rattle free, it just takes the right person to do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts