VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea on what can cause this? Or more importantly, how to fix it?
I had a couple of buds over yesterday to try and figure it out but no dice.
Everything is in order and nothings missing.

PK, Joe, thanks for the effort. :thumbup:
Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Umm this may be of no help but Dukes of Hazzard?

You didn't happen to go hill hopping lately did you.

To be honest I haven't even looked at my rear shocks yet (still choosing coilovers) so I have no idea how they're held in place. I've never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
17,620 Posts
I'd replace the strut. The piston must have extended past where it's supposed to. I've never seen anything like this before

Sent with my thumbs
I thought this might be the case too.
We couldn't figure it out at all.
Under load, the piston of the shock just pushes all the way through.
It doesn't stay compressed.

That "cap" looking thing is there and I believe everything was assembled in that same order.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Happened to me and my car was lowered on springs and wietech shocks. You need a new strut, I just used a stock strut with no problems. The piston has a round lip after the threads and that is damaged and allows the piston to travel all the way through the mounts. I used the same mounts but on a new strut took about 30 min to do you don't need a spring compressor or anything.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
At least the tower is still fine. You're going to just have to rebuild the suspension, and assemble in proper order with all parts. Then you're fine. :thumbup:

Everyone is like, mindf*ckwtfbbq, but, I wouldn't expect anything different from a mk3. Beautiful actually. Good job man. :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,839 Posts
A Jetta of mine came like that. :laugh: They tried hiding it with the parcel tray.. It was a shady dealer. They pulled all the bulbs out of the gauge cluster, put silicone on a few leaks, did a ton of weird, stupid stuff. When I replaced the shocks it was normal again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
190 Posts
holy **** mine is like that and has a vise-grip on the shock holding it from going too far(?) even tho the shock is now hitting my speaker pod..every pot-hole or bump or speed-bump is hell on that poor shock and whats worse is I got bilsteins and I'm pretty sure it's wrecked -_-

its just a plate thats missing or busted. Wrecking yard time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have had that happen to me before. It turned out to be a small c-clip that goes around the shaft of the shock came off. I would start there and see if it still there.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.