VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured it was about time I posted up some of my pics. Hopefully they'll be of help to someone out there.
A big thanks to those that helped me out with a few questions

My previous ride that some may have seen over the past years at waterfest and H2O.

Went ahead and traded it in for the extra space of the new wagon. Stock form with the heinous wheel gap.

Started building up the wooden base for the spare tire well.

Threw on some vibration absorbers to help cut down on the compressor related vibrations.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: MINI airride build (Retromini)

Next up was the easystreet controller. I drilled some holes in the provided base and set it up to plug in under the toggle switches on my center counsel. Lucked out and the finish matched the oem interior perfectly and the controller fit nice and tight.

Down by the cup holders. Also installed some pinstripe floormats

You've gotta run the Controller's wire back to the brain of the system. I ran it back through the center piece under the e-brake....under the rear carpet....under the rear seats....and then into the trunk. I also took the time to run the power wire through the firewall back the same route (yellow wire). In the end, both wires are completely hidden.

Wires come out under the rear carpet in the trunk

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The tank position was flipped around from the original plan....but I've got the Viair 400 and easystreet valves on the MDF base. It all fits in the spare tire well and will have a false floor over it. 3 Gallon tank from AVS
(water trap hasn't been installed yet in this pic)

turned it on for the first time

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The rear suspension was where I ran into problems during the planning stages. The only bagged MINI I've found is in Belgium and I could never find the user to ask him questions. The issue is that the stock springs are tiny in diameter....only 4" and they are REALLY close to the sway bar. The smallest bag diameter I could find on a strut was 5.1" from both Airover and the Easystreet chapman kits. I did some measurements and bit the bullet. Luckily they fit perfectly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Stock versus the XL Airover shocks. I could get 2" lower had I gone with the Large version....once I get the wheels on, If I decide I need the 2" I'll switch them out for the shorter ones.

Also took the time to run the airline (1/4") up to the fronts. You can see them come in from the right, go behind the aero part, and then follow the oem lines up front. Secured with some cushioned P-Clamps

I drilled some holes in the rear trunk floor that exited right at the rear bags. Threw some grommets in and ran them down. I used some more P-clamps to secure them away from the moving suspension parts (hadn't done that yet in the pic below)

The fronts are Aero Sport bags from UAV (big surprise
) put over some Inverse monotube coilovers. I left those huge perches in for my 9hour road trip from Ohio to Jersey for the summer....I'm gonna be taking out the unnecessary ones and spinning them down before waterfest.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ugly stock 15's
Rear arch is measuring at 22.1" .....it'll be 21.4" once the new wheels go on. Stock the arch sits at 26.3".

Before and after

And I decided to pick up some 16" RS's rather than running the 15" RM's from the last car. I'm still in the process of widening them and polishing the lips.

Modified by Retromini at 8:40 AM 7-18-2008

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Not exactly airride related....but whatever. Went ahead and started shaving the rear reflectors(in the pic above) with some shaped ABS plugs and fusor. Got a bunch more pics of the process if people are interested in the Fusor process.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This is awesome! My gf has a cooper and I have a wagon. We have been debating downgrading to 1 car (the clubman
). The colors you have are dead sexy. Cant wait to see a little photo shoot of the completed project!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Re: (They_Call_Me_Bob)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 435 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.