VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to slang my GTI 1.8t, cannot figure out which to pick up. I have driven the mini, love the way it handles, but very under powered for my taste. I would definitly need to do some mods. I never drove an R32, I love the looks (similar to my current car), love the way it sounds, and the AWD. what do you? pros/ cons. , any experiance with both?

· Banned
3,068 Posts
well since you live in California, your biggest concern besides insurance is GAS and your commute,,which by the way considering you live in HELL LA, you need to seriously think about that. so i say go for the R32 if you can afford, car payments, GAS and insurance becuase it will be higher then the Mini (i work for state farm trust me i know), so good luck and happy motoring,,but if you get the R32,,youll make the panties drop faster

· Registered
10,209 Posts
Re: (ARRR Matey 32)

Quote, originally posted by ARRR Matey 32 »
dude is this really a comparison.

x2
I haven't driven either, but the R32 would be a better bet, for one, it's NA, and thus has a crap load of engine potential. Plus the exhaust note is lovely.

· Registered
4,714 Posts
Re: mini cooper s vs. R32 (FLYGTI325)

I love my MCS, but if the R32 had been within my budget I would have seriously looked into it.
That being said, the MCS stays retarded flat through corners & the steering is sharp as hell - I'm not sure how the R32 would compare in those areas. However the low-end torque of the R32 & its ability to put the power down with AWD would be nice.

Modified by fueledbymetal at 10:13 AM 9-8-2005

· Registered
1,359 Posts

1) analyze the economics
2) If you want to Autocross the Mini handles better
3) If you want to Rallycross then the AWD of the R32 would be better
4) The R32 has more space
5) The Mini is more reliable
6) You can get the Mini in a convertable flavor
7) If you plan on keeping the car for 10yrs or more its going to be alot easier finding parts for the mini.

· Registered
6,444 Posts
Re: (ARRR Matey 32)

Quote, originally posted by ARRR Matey 32 »
dude is this really a comparison.

x2

· Registered
13,756 Posts
Re: mini cooper s vs. R32 (PineappleMonkey)

Quote, originally posted by PineappleMonkey »
MCS
You're in Cali you don't need awd

Ummm....I guess you've never been stuck on the beach with the tide coming in eh?

The MCS does handle like a dart. Nothing VW does will come close.
But it is too small for a daily car IMO.

· Registered
4,786 Posts
Re: mini cooper s vs. R32 (smetzger)

Quote, originally posted by smetzger »
1) analyze the economics
2) If you want to Autocross the Mini handles better
3) If you want to Rallycross then the AWD of the R32 would be better
4) The R32 has more space
5) The Mini is more reliable
6) You can get the Mini in a convertable flavor
7) If you plan on keeping the car for 10yrs or more its going to be alot easier finding parts for the mini.

5) Not sure about this one. I've had zero problems with mine and it'll be 2 years in January. Many of the MKIV issues (coilpacks, window regulators) have been addressed on the later MKIVs. I've read about a number of Mini issues.
7) I don't think parts will be a problem (although Mini parts will definitely be easily found). The R32 shares many chassis/running gear parts with the 3.2TT, the engine is found in this TT and the base T-reg. Most body parts are pure MKIV.Plus there are more R32's then just the ones in the US so the R32 specific body parts like bumpers and side sills should be available fairly readily.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Re: mini cooper s vs. R32 (FLY-GTI1)

No, he's right, there'll be a better parts market for the Mini than the R. Although VW is continuing their 3.2L engine, in 10 years the Mini will look EXACTLY THE SAME.

· Registered
1,566 Posts

I faced a similar decision - I wanted to get rid of my 1.8t gti: I drove the MCS and I loved it, but to equip it the way I wanted would have cost north of 26k (leather, wheels, some performance goodies etc). The R was a just little more expensive, but has gobs more power and all All Wheel Drive, not to mention its a larger car, so putting things in the trunk is a lot easier.
For me it was a no-brainer. I love my R32 and I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes to drive, and wants a hatchback.
Good luck!

· Registered
1,439 Posts

My R eats mini coopers for breakfast! Seriously though, no comparison...well unless you plan on putting on a funny nose and cramming a bunch of clown friends into your mini. "see ya mom! We're off to the circus!" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
12,062 Posts
Re: mini cooper s vs. R32 (GRRR32)

I was in a similar situation last year. I bought a MCS. Much better suspension from the factory. The car just felt so much more nimble and tossable, which it is. I've since added an exhaust as well as a smaller pulley and the car is a hoot. It's probably around 190hp and it's a hoot to drive.
With that said the R32 is a great car. I don't regret my decision one bit but if you need something with some space keep in mind the hatch and backseat are tiny in the MINI. Service will be better at a MINI dealership in my opinion and maintence is free for 3 years.
You can't go wrong with either. But I just liked the MINI more, it had more character and was more fun to drive in most situations
Mike

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.