VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GLI recently got clipped (barely) in a hit and run and I have two small spots on the rear bumper cover just behind the passenger-side wheel well where the paint is completely gone and the black material from the cover is showing through. A full repainting seems like overkill, plus they have to completely remove and replace the cover, rescan for faults etc, so the repair quote is about double what I would have expected.

I'd like to just try touch-up paint, but I've read that you need something that includes a primer if bare metal or plastic are to be covered. Can someone recommend a touch-up paint kit that includes primer that has previously worked well for them?

·
Registered
315 Posts
You do not need primer for a small brush touch-up, especially on plastic. The VW touch-up pens are hot garbage. Your best bet is to order a small bottle from paintscratch.com.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You do not need primer for a small brush touch-up, especially on plastic. The VW touch-up pens are hot garbage. Your best bet is to order a small bottle from paintscratch.com.
Thanks for the reference - I had thought the VW option probably wasn't a good one. (The other touch-up paint kit I have seen is on touchupdirect.com). What about clear coat? I have read reviews of some touch up paints that say they aren't durable until topped with clear.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the reference - I had thought the VW option probably wasn't a good one. (The other touch-up paint kit I have seen is on touchupdirect.com). What about clear coat? I have read reviews of some touch up paints that say they aren't durable until topped with clear.
Clearcoat is not really relevant for a brush touch-up. It’s much more important that you clean the surface thoroughly, that you trim back any loose plastic or paint, that you use even brush strokes, that you properly load the brush to avoid drips, et cetera. If you really want a nice finish, go to the dollar store and buy a set of those junky paint brushes that kids use with watercolor paint; they’re much more controllable than the little nail polish deal that comes with the touch-up paint.

I’ve touched up hundreds, if not thousands, of cars. The only time I’ve ever brushed on clearcoat was when the damage was restricted to the clearcoat, i.e. no damage to the basecoat.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clearcoat is not really relevant for a brush touch-up. It’s much more important that you clean the surface thoroughly, that you trim back any loose plastic or paint, that you use even brush strokes, that you properly load the brush to avoid drips, et cetera. If you really want a nice finish, go to the dollar store and buy a set of those junky paint brushes that kids use with watercolor paint; they’re much more controllable than the little nail polish deal that comes with the touch-up paint.

I’ve touched up hundreds, if not thousands, of cars. The only time I’ve ever brushed on clearcoat was when the damage was restricted to the clearcoat, i.e. no damage to the basecoat.
Thanks much for all the very helpful advice. Where is your YouTube channel? ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts