VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am having massive problems and don't know what to do. I ordered a set of mintex reds and ate power disc rotors for my mk4 golf in the fall with the intention of doing the brake job myself (or at least trying). But I never got around to it and then it got really cold, but my old pads were almost totally gone.
So I took the parts to my local mechanic and had him do it for me. At first they were OK, but after a few weeks they started to squeek. But it progressed into a full squeal any time i touch the brake pedal - it's extremely loud.

So I just took it back today and had him look at it. I also asked about the anti-squeal compound and he said he always uses that. He told me that the combination of the slotted rotors and the ceramic pads are the problem, but he'd check. He took it all apart and put it back together - added more stuff to the back of the pads and removed some rust from the rotors - but to no avail. It still sounds awful.

So I don't know what to do. I know that the brakes working 100%, but the sound is driving me nuts - but I also don't want to shell out 150$ for new pads and rotors again when these are brand new.
Is there anything that can be done? I have read all the mintex red threads and all of the 'they squeek' or 'they never squeek' posts, but they don't have any real answers. Should I just try another shop or am I pretty much stuck?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Mintex Red + ATE Power disk = squeal problems :( (lynchman)

I'd ditch that local mechanic F A S T! First of all, Mintex Red Box are not "ceramic" pads. I run the same setup as you & mine have never squealed from day one. Have another mechanic look at it - isn't AWE Tuning in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
11,431 Posts

Running the same setup on my Scirocco with zero noise. Redbox pads go onto the GTI next week too, and I expect no problems. I've used them for years on several dubs w/o incident - just reliable braking and clean wheels.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Mintex Red + ATE Power disk = squeal problems :( (A3VR6)

Quote, originally posted by A3VR6 »
I'd ditch that local mechanic F A S T! First of all, Mintex Red Box are not "ceramic" pads. I run the same setup as you & mine have never squealed from day one. Have another mechanic look at it - isn't AWE Tuning in your neck of the woods?

Yeah, AWE is pretty close to me - about 30 mins. I'll give them a call and see what they say, although taking my little 2.slo to a performance shop just to fix my squeaky brakes seems overkill (or embarrasing).

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

never be embarassed... remember, it will fix the problem.
BTW, mine squeal initially when they are wet or cold. Once they warm up, or water has dissappated, they are fine.
I am going to reapply anti-squeal, as I used high-perf silicone the first time @ 35K miles. I currently have 63K miles.
If they continue to squeal, look at the shims or make sure they aren't rubbing. I believe the rears auto adjust:
1) Put in reverse
2) Floor it
3) Slam on brakes
Repeat 2x
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by pipes at 11:10 AM 2-17-2004

1 - 5 of 5 Posts