VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just wondering if anyone has ordered anything minor off Ali-Express? Looking for get some cheap mirror caps.

Also looking for suggestions for alternative websites too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey, just wondering if anyone has ordered anything minor off Ali-Express? Looking for get some cheap mirror caps.

Also looking for suggestions for alternative websites too.

Picked up some black mirror caps off Ali-Express and they've been great. And with price being about 20% of OE you can replace them several times before getting anywhere near factory cost. Win, win.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Alibaba should be fine. Some have minor fitment issues but the price can't be beat. I wouldn't do any aftermarket parts on the consequential parts of the car, but these will not hurt it. Someone is selling their OEMs right now: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9417211-Deep-black-pearl-mirror-caps

I bought a set from Alibaba which will take 1+ month to arrive but cost only $25, so no feedback yet.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I did the black caps off Ebay, have been fine and only cost about $35 I think.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have my eye on the ebay black mirror caps to match the other blacked out trim I've started.

How did everyone go about installing these? I've seen it might be possible to install by pointing the mirror down and unclipping there but I tried that just to see if that was feasible and I couldn't seem to get enough space up top to access 1 of the 2 clips. The other route looks like removing the mirror glass which I'd be nervous about breaking something.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have my eye on the ebay black mirror caps to match the other blacked out trim I've started.

How did everyone go about installing these? I've seen it might be possible to install by pointing the mirror down and unclipping there but I tried that just to see if that was feasible and I couldn't seem to get enough space up top to access 1 of the 2 clips. The other route looks like removing the mirror glass which I'd be nervous about breaking something.
Yes, I was able to access clips by just pointing mirror down. A little flashlight and some finesse will pop them off. Will mention that they do "pop" off so make sure you have your free hand on top or someone else available to catch the OE one before it hits the ground.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, I was able to access clips by just pointing mirror down. A little flashlight and some finesse will pop them off. Will mention that they do "pop" off so make sure you have you free hand in top or someone else available to cat he the OE before it hits the ground.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! Maybe a super thin trim removal tool or something would do the job getting through above the mirror glass to the clip then.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I pointed the mirrors downward and used a long flat head screwdriver to pop the caps off. If you prefer to take the mirrors out, just be super careful not to crack them during the process

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I've ordered a bunch of stuff over the past few years off Ali express.. 95% of the time it's exactly what I ordered... I just have to wait like a month for delivery here in South Africa. I would advise that you look at parts that have a review by some one with some pictures. Wedding things like cuffs socks etc, all the lights for a motard build I did and a few things for home automation and for my tiguan.

2012 tiguan 2.0tdi 4motion

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.