VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many will recall, somewhere around 2004 model VIN 82,000, VW added spoilers to the bottom of the mirrors. The part numbers have now become available. They are:
For left without puddle light: 7L6 858 523 D 01C
For right without puddle light:7L6 858 524 D 01C
For left with puddle light: 7L6 858 523 E 01C
For right with puddle light: 7L6 858 524 E 01C
Some photos:
BEFORE SPOILER:

SPOILER ADDED (ignore the chrome mirror cap that doesn't seem to fit correctly)

Parts:

Diagram:

courtesy of Touareg-Freunde

Modified by spockcat at 6:43 PM 12-10-2004

·
Registered
709 Posts
Re: (Uriah)

I am for this cause i could definitely use these.Mabey we can get Joe at Atlastimports to help us with a group buy on this.

·
Registered
46,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (Uriah)

Form/function? Don't know.
Cost? The person in Germany who bought them said they cost Euro 5.43 each.
Retrofit? Of course you can. That's why I posted this here.
TSB? Doubtful since no one even knows exactly what they do.

EDIT: They cost $9.14 each from 1stvwparts.com

Modified by spockcat at 6:47 PM 12-10-2004

·
Registered
46,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (TREGinginCO)

I thought at least one owner still complained about wind whistle despite having them on his car?
I don't have any wind whistle, so I won't be going out of my way to install them.
As for purchasing them, you should be able to get them from your dealer's parts department. They are already in the USA.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Re: Mirror spoilers (beechbum)

Alloy Valve stem caps can give your car a way better boost in performance than these Spoilers

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: (spockcat)

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
Form/function? Don't know.

Actually I believe they are to catch rain that the airflow under the mirrors would blow (or should I say flow) along the bottom surface where it could end up on the mirror surface, obscuring it. I think in the original mirror design the particular aoerodynamics of it were causing problems of that nature in wet weather. The idea with the spoiler is that water being forced down the forward face of the mirror will encounter a sharp edge, and drip off or be blown off at that point rather than moving along the surface to the actual mirror.
As far as noise goes, I have the damn things, and I can tell you they actually CAUSE wind noise.

I can hear it from the drivers mirror at slower speeds with the window down, and from the passenger one at higher speeds een with the window up. Based on my experience I wouldn't recommend anyone retro-fit them unless the water problem is horrific.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Re: (Jason H)

Jason,
I live in a pretty wet climate and I dont have water flipping up from the bottom of the mirror to its surface.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Re: (beechbum)

Checked the part numbers on ETKA today at work and they are really reasonable in price! Under $25 cnd per side! Sorry can't mention my employee price on them.
Also install shouldn't be too bad, remove mirror cap and then you can get at the screws holding the cap on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am also a member of the German Touareg Forum and the discussion there seems to indicate that the spoilers help to reduce soiling of the mirrors. I gave the part # to my VW part guy and he is checking on the price here. If bought in Germany, they would cost less than $8.00 per side, but shipping is almost $40 for both.(a member of the German Forum did some research for me).
By the way, they all seem to be excited to get a chrom cover for the top side of the rear bumper (replaces the black plastic insert) are those chrome strips available in the US? I have never seen them

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Re: Mirror spoilers (spockcat)

I think that the spoilers were in production earlier than the 82000 VIN. I have a 73xxx V10 and it has these spoilers.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Mirror spoilers (V10)

Mine has them as well. Don't seem to have any problems with either wind noise or excessive water on the mirror.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: Mirror spoilers (spockcat)

I just received the following email from my dealers service writer:
Dietmar,
I have 1 of the mirror spoilers that you were inquiring about in stock.
I'll order another one if your interested. They sell for $19.05 each.
Container transportation from Germany to here must be very expensive! The cost a little less than $8.00 each over there!

·
Registered
46,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Mirror spoilers (dschlei)

Quote, originally posted by dschlei »
I just received the following email from my dealers service writer:
Dietmar,
I have 1 of the mirror spoilers that you were inquiring about in stock.
I'll order another one if your interested. They sell for $19.05 each.
Container transportation from Germany to here must be very expensive! The cost a little less than $8.00 each over there!

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »

They cost $9.14 each from 1stvwparts.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts