VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this thread on audizine.com as well ... man I need some help.
I have a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro. I have the APR Stage 1 and full APR exhaust. I have been happy with the car up to a couple of months ago when the windshield wipers and the squirters stopped working. That was a big bill to have replaced as I needed a new pump and new wiper arm assembly. Now I have another problem.
Yesterday morning I got a new K&N air filter for my car (33-2209 I believe). I installed it myself. I followed the DYI steps on A4mods.com. Simply took the inlet air ducting off, removed the two screws, opened up the box (was pretty tight), put in the new filter closed it all up … and when I started up the car it started to misfire. I checked the codes and I’m getting P0300, P0301, and P0303. Misfire on the first and third cylinders.

I disconnected and reconnected the MAF, no change in the misfire. But when it is disconnected the anit-skid light comes on, then clears when I reconnect the MAF. I cannot feel or hear any vacuum leaks. I only disconnected one vacuum line when I changed the air filter (the one right above the box that has a Y … I don’t know what this is).

Last night I disconnected the air box outlet hose and showered down the MAF with cleaner … I didn’t remove the MAF, I just did it in place. I’m not getting any MAF error codes, I just did this as a matter of course.
I read the forums late yesterday, and most folks are pointing out the coil packs and spark plugs as the cause of the misfire. My spark plugs needed changing anyway (60,000 km service) so I bought and have installed some NGK BKR7E-IX (iridium tip) … don’t the time to change plugs every 5k or I’d have gone with the copper. I also gapped the plugs to 0.028” as recommended.

So, I start the car up after changing the plugs and for a minute all is good, but then the car starts to misfire.
Again, the codes read first and third cylinders. I’ve switched the coil packs several times, rotating three of the coil packs and there is no change in the misfire … still cylinders one and three.

I cannot feel or hear any vacuum leaks, but can’t stop thinking that somehow when I changed the air filter I must have done something.
I really need some help on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is the misfire constant? If it is, you can try pulling-up the coils one at a timewhile the motor is runinng to check if they are making the tick-tick-tick as the spark shoots over to the plug - you should only need to lift them up a couple of centremetres (inch). If, when you pull up the coil, you hear nothing then the coil is not working. If you hear the sound of the spark jumping then the coil is working.
With this dyagnostic you can then know with more certidud if it's the coil, plug, injector or something else.
Does the car not improve when you simply disconect the MAF??

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Re: Misfire ... help, please god help. (coldbajan)

Try replacing the K&N with something else. some people have reported misfires with the K&N due to the oil they use on their filters. It some times screw with our MAF, go figure.
Then again I doubt it would take such a short amount of time to misfire due to the oil on the filter, but you can try.
Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Chris_R_W)

The misfire is constant on the first and third cylinders. The misfire on these two cylinders did not change with the old plugs or the new plugs, and when I switched coil packs around.
There was not change when I disconnectd the MAF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Misfire ... help, please god help. (AllofurVWRbelong2me)

So last night I sprayed down the MAF really well with cleaner. Let it dry over night. Had my wife pick up a new stock air filter (small victory in itself) and put it the stock filter this evening.
Initially the car started up fine, drove it down the block, no problems ... then just before I was about to declare victory, the damn think started misfiring around 3000 rpm.
This quickly turned into constant misfire at all rpms.

So now what ... I'm thinking that the MAF or the MAF connection is bad, but I don't get that code. Any suggestions ???
Is anyone running a K&N filter sucessfully on a 1.8T and not having problems with the MAF ... some seem to think the oil is causing problems with the MAF wire, feels like a stretch to me, also K&N says it is not possible ... see their website ... my local speed shop agrees with K&N ... good dealer myth ... my local dealer says he can't explain it by my MAF is not the first one they have changed after a K&N installation. Any suggestions or thoughts on this ???
Is is possible that this is related to the APR Stage 1 ???
I've about had enough of this ... likely drop it at Audi tomorrow ... unless someone has some good advice to offer. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts

If the mis is consistently on cyls 1, and 3... you either have jacked up injectors or..... the most common problem for that..... the coil pack wiring harness. Look at the wires leading to the coils, over time the insulation hardens and cracks causing an easier ground than the plug, thus causing a mis-fire on a specific cylinder. Think of it this way mis-fire: check, only on specific cylinder: check, this leads to bad plugs (new), coil pack (swapped with known good, didn't move), injector (you could test the resistance or also swap with known good), signal wires (hardest to check, involves installing new harness unless you can see the cracks), or blown cylinder (hole in piston or something, but would cause more than just a mis-fire).
I don't recommend doing the water in the dark test for your wires that some do, you could possibly short them and fry stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,
Well the problem is solved. I bought all new coil packs in installed all of them.
On another forum, a member suggested that I may have not reset the codes when I switched the coil packs. He was right. When I swapped around the coil packs I must not have cleared the codes ... my bad. I had not thought of this until it was mentioned. Obviously, I'm still learning how the use the OBD II scanner.
I did orderd a VAG-COM and it arrived today, so hopefully I'll have better information on any future problems.
I appreciate the feedback on my problem. Hopefully this thread will also help others in the future.

·
Registered
20 Posts

How long ago did you change the coil packs...when it is giving you misfire codes on individual cylinders it is most likely the coil packs...those coil packs can go bad for the dumbest reasons...i had a similar problem when i got my AEM cold air intake, i thought maybe the MAF got messed up because it was raining that week, but it was just the coils...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts