VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn.
dad moved everything in the garage around and now I can't find my wheel lock key (which is usually kept in the car too! AHHHH!) factory standard lock, had like a 5 sided scalloped look.
so.
how would I go about getting a new one?
dealership is full of asshats. i'd rather skip them but it seems to be my only choice.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Re: Missing Wheel Lock! Help! (zgti1)

Go to the dealer to find out what number lock it was. They range from 1-10 I think. Then get the part number of the one you need and see if you can get it from germanautoparts.com. If not it will cost you about 30 from the dealer. Not to bad but still prity pricey for a lug key. Thats the way I did it when a body mechanic lost mine.

· Registered
6,643 Posts
Re: Missing Wheel Lock! Help! (M511Y VR6)

just find a socket that doesnt quite fit over the lug then pound it on with a mallet....once you do that use an impact or a breaker bar to get it loose. discount tire co. does it that way

· Registered
15,253 Posts
Re: Missing Wheel Lock! Help! (zgti1)

same thing just happened to me. I went to the dealer they pulled out their service department kit figured out which one then found out they didnt have it in inventory. so they loned it to me i got 4 plain lugs and swaped them out. the dealer asked me to rember him when i buy a new key. Like that will happen.
steve

· Registered
9,031 Posts
Re: Missing Wheel Lock! Help! (M511Y VR6)

Quote, originally posted by M511Y VR6 »
Go to the dealer to find out what number lock it was. They range from 1-10 I think. Then get the part number of the one you need and see if you can get it from germanautoparts.com. If not it will cost you about 30 from the dealer. Not to bad but still prity pricey for a lug key. Thats the way I did it when a body mechanic lost mine.

I went to my local dealer for the same thing, and they told me that they no longer carry the wheel locks and that you'd have to find a way to get it off yourself.
Snap-On Carries a kit that should get off most OEM and Aftermarket Wheel locks.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog...=1641

· Banned
16,188 Posts
Re: Missing Wheel Lock! Help! (GriffinMoss)

Quote, originally posted by GriffinMoss »

Snap-On Carries a kit that should get off most OEM and Aftermarket Wheel locks.

That's scary...
I'm parking in well-lit areas for now on

· Registered
9,031 Posts
Re: (drewb)

Just to slow em down.
get air ride, slam it on the belly and that's hard to jack wheels from

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: ()

according to the dealer, they are :
mcGard brand locks, code 941.
he found his little kit, but nothing in parts dept. they're idiots. couldn't even find this lock in the computer.
so online searching i go....

· Registered
26,305 Posts
Re: Missing Wheel Lock! Help! (dubtometry)

Quote, originally posted by dubtometry »
just find a socket that doesnt quite fit over the lug then pound it on with a mallet....once you do that use an impact or a breaker bar to get it loose. discount tire co. does it that way

Impact socket, hammer it on.
I have YET to meet a wheel lock that can stand up to that.,

· Registered
9,031 Posts
Re: () (zgti1)

Quote, originally posted by zgti1 »
according to the dealer, they are :
mcGard brand locks, code 941.
he found his little kit, but nothing in parts dept. they're idiots. couldn't even find this lock in the computer.
so online searching i go....

I still have my original key lock card and the guy at the parts dept said I'd be crazy

· Registered
8,891 Posts
Re: Missing Wheel Lock! Help! (GriffinMoss)

Quote, originally posted by GriffinMoss »

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog...=1641

Thats the ish right there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I have been looking for that set for a while.. i ran into the same problem but with the help of a few people and a big hammer we got that sucker out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.