VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
i am quite impressed with your journey and maturation. seems like you have the introspection part down pat... it's unfortunate that more people aren't more thoughtful... and self aware... the world would probably be a better place...

i sometimes miss the local pick-n-pull and scores such as the one you nabbed the other day... it really is a great feeling... especially if you know how much the dealer and or used part retailers want for the same parts you just got for pennies on the dollar. there are a few cars i've had that would not have stayed on the road as long as they did without the pick-n-pull... i am fortunate that here in portland there are 4 within a 30 minute drive... and that's not including the independent scrap yards of which there are too many to count...

i'm old now. many more trips around the sun than most of the ppl in this forum... when i got my gti i took a totally different approach... i made a commitment to myself to stop wrenching on cars myself... stop going to junkyards and searching all over god's green earth for parts... and instead... since i've had the car it's mostly been worked on by a highly regarded and reputable shop here in town... and i've found it to be quite liberating... the other thing i did... was get a car that was already done. all the parts in all the vw magazines that i lusted after for so many years... were on the car when i got it... and the work was done by a master mechanic... to a high degree of quality... not by a boy racer in his back yard... really it's made all the difference... i just don't have a lot of the problems i normally would with a gti w/ 170k on the clock... i was very lucky to have found a car with little to no deferred maintenance... where everything has been either significantly upgraded... or replaced with OEM parts.... very few ppl would consider me a man of means... so sometimes i have to wait until i have save enough $ to get some stuff done... like it took me 6 months to get the cash together to replace my front suspension... but luckily for me i don't need to use the car every day... and the suspension wasn't totally blown... so waiting half a year to get it done wasn't as much of a hardship as it might sound... now i'm saving up for a new clutch... gonna go stage 2 to match the rest of modifications that have been done to the drivetrain... it will probably be sometime in late spring early summer when that happens... again... my clutch is on the way out... but it's not shot... and i actually know how to use a clutch... so i'm not killing it when i drive... i think i should be able to make it without it pooping the bed on me before i can get it fixed.... (you can't see me but i'm knocking on wood)

i will admit to not being able to stay off the pick-n-pull narcotic... and i have been back since i got the gti... mostly for trim pieces... and other cosmetic items... stuff i could have easily ordered online... but i needed the fix...

i am jealous of your garage and commitment to DIY... this is probably one of the best threads i've read in this forum over the years... thanks for sharing your journey... will be checking in to see how you're doing from time to time...

p.s.

we had a car sharing service here in portland for a few years that had mini coopers... drove a bunch of them. was impressed... but i'm 6'5" and despite the ample head and leg room... the gti cabin feels a bit more open to me... but i was surprised how quick those cars were... bone stock out of the box.... i can imagine with some tasteful tweaks those cars would be a hoot to hoon.

· Registered
191 Posts
Man, I miss that galvanized steel that Audi was using back in the 80s. I had an 87 5000S Quattro, took it out to 285,000 and gave it away in 2002, not a spot of rust on it. The driveline was perfect, still had the original clutch....but everything else? Yeah, it was falling apart. Headliner, heater core, non-functional AC, all bushings, fuel pump fittings (that one had a pump mounted underneath the car, near the right rear wheel....so dumb), fuel lines, exhaust hangers, oh and of course a MIL that wouldn't go off so no go on emissions test.
yup. my 92 100cs quattro's body will live on long after everything else on the car dies... i actually checked it on carfax the other day... thought for certain it was in a junkyard somewhere by now... but she has a new owner who's committed to keeping the car on the road... reached out to them on fb and gave them all the info i had on the car. 1 of 277 imported that year in that color with a 5 speed. loved that car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts