VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an hour to kill today so I stopped at the local Mitsubishi dealer and they have about 7 or 8 Evo's sitting on the lot. I had never seen the inside of one, so I got out and headed over to the group of them, of course, only to be headed off by a rookie salesman. He gave me the whole rundown on the car, I was actually impressed with his knowledge of the car (he must have just seen 2Fast2Furious the night before), anyway I made my way around to the window sticker and it was in the low $30's, then I saw the extra little piece of paper dealers in California are so famous for...the ADJUSTED MARKET VALUE sheet, which was $8,995!!! I sat in the car and wasn't terribly impressed, its a decent car, but when you boil it down, its still a Lancer. I asked him if anyone had actually been paying over sticker for those and he said yes, I mentioned how I just saw an add on TV that another dealer about an hour away was advertising they were selling their EVO's for sticker. I told him thanks for giving me the run-down on the car, then like any good salesman should do, he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said no, then kinda chuckled and said especially at that price. I head out the door and some salesman who is higher up on the food chain at that dealership yells something about hey wanna buy it, I pretend to become hard of hearing at this point, since I was really not there to buy a car. So I get in my car and as I back out this guy is right there, I roll the window down and he is like "If you want to buy it, we have been authorized by our boss to sell them for MSRP". I once again told him I was just really looking and trying to kill some time, he then proceeded to tell me how the Subaru WRX wasn't as good of a car (I didn't know I was considering buying one of those either). Then he is asking me whats it gonna take to close the deal on this car. Once again, I tired to tell him I was merely LOOKING. With that he gave me his card and gave me the whole speal about how they need to move some cars before the end of the month (typical car salesman BS) and they need to move some of these EVO's. Anyway, somehow I managed to get my window rolled back up and drove off.
Is Mitsubishi EVO sales that bad or did I just happen to run into some REALLY aggressive salesmen??

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Mitsubishi Evolution Selling? (VeeDubDriver)

Yea, this guy made sure to point out that the STI's insurance is a grand more a year than ther EVO's. And proceeded to tell me why the EVO is better, the whole time I have this bewildered look on my face, esepcially because I never even mentioned buying a Subaru.

· Registered
5,754 Posts
Re: Mitsubishi Evolution Selling? (Long Duck Dong)

I can't believe they actually had 7 or 8 on the lot.
That alone tells me they ain't selling like hotcakes.
As a point of reference, Acura TSX's are nearly as hot as Evo's but my local Acura dealer said they are selling so well he didn't have any on the lot to show me.

· Registered
11,026 Posts
Great performers, but I think they're a tad bit steep. They aren't doing too well in sales, as far as I'm concerned. I think they expected them to sell like hotcakes.
The people that I feel they're targeting with the Evo are the ones who can't afford them, except for the rich kids who's parents will buy them whatever they want. Coincidentally, they're also the ones who end up killing theirselves or someone else with the car. Eh, I don't know.

· Registered
3,531 Posts

There are at least 7 at a local Mitsu dealer here. I talked with one of the salesmen about what they were going for. He told me they were going at over MSRP. I don't know how many they are selling, but the lack of them on the streets tell me that they aren't selling too many. The rookie screwed up in giving you too much information. Give no more than a 2-4 minute presentation on the car, ask for the sale and shut up!
Anyway, I may go in and work up a deal on one just for fun.

· Registered
5,754 Posts
Re: Mitsubishi Evolution Selling? (Clean97GTi)

>>There are at least 7 at a local Mitsu dealer here. I talked with one of the salesmen about what they were going for. He told me they were going at over MSRP.
How can these clowns say that they are selling above sticker when they have 7 of them on the lot?
Do they think customers are idiots?
When S2000's were commanding above sticker there's wasn't one to be seen on a dealer's lot. They were all sond before they came in.
And *that's* why they were selling above sticker. Its all about supply and demand. The only way dealers can charge over sticker is if people are lining up to buy them. And obviously that's not happening with the Evo.
I think the dealers want you to think this car is soooo hot and they make you feel like you're some great wheeler-dealer when you "bargain" them down to sticker price.

· Registered
3,661 Posts
Re: Mitsubishi Evolution Selling? (HondaGuy)

eh, ill chime in with my EVO dealership story (not really a rant):
I was out driving around rt1 (the automile in Norwood) one day. Trying to scope out the used car dealership who had BMW's and such.
I stopped by the Mitsu dealer because I saw 6 EVOs outside sitting there.
I was kinda stunned to see so many on the lot.
So a nice salesgirl comes up to me and we start talking a little bit about the car n crap. She really didnt know much about the evo, but I didnt hold that against her since she was new.
I told her that I could be interested in one of these when my Jetta sells.
So 5 minutes goes by and she asks if she could take me inside to get some information. I figure sure, why not. She was actualy suprised that I said yes.
So im sitting down, she took my info, then she brings over the dreaded sales manager. He asks me if I would move on an EVO for sticker price if I would trade in my car for the price that I am selling it for ($6500).
I said maybe, I'll have to drive one first ofcourse.
I knew there was no-way-in-hell they would give me $6500 for my car...and I was correct after they evaluated it. He said I could give you $3000 since it will be wholesaled.
The guy was cool, he knew VW's pretty well and said that I should have no problem selling my car, which he was right about.
So I happily walked out thinking about EVOs the rest of the night.
Fast forward about 3 weeks later:
I ended up getting an IS300 and selling my car.
Now I've gotten 2 voicemails from the Mitsu dealer asking me to call them back, yadda yaadaa yyadda.
I'd bet those evo's are still sitting there. And I'd also bet you could get one for below sticker.
I still kind of wished that I drove one, but ohwell.

-Ash

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Mitsubishi Evolution Selling? (DownShift)

Quote, originally posted by DownShift »
I ended up getting an IS300 and selling my car.

How do you like that IS300 so far? I was going to buy one of those instead of my Jetta (not sure if I made the right decision), but I came across a steal on my Jetta and couldn't pass it up. I really like the exterior & the seats of the IS300, but the dash was a little weird I thought, kinda cool, but kinda gimicky. Anyway I am contemplating unloading my Jetta now (tired of all th nickel and dime problems with it), may have to give the Lexus or Audi dealer a visit. I think I will pass on the EVO, as fast as that car is, I still can't bring myself to pay $30K for a Lancer.
I think the EVO is gonna have a hard time selling because its a car designed for teenager to early 20 yr olds, however very few in that age group can afford a $30K car, plus its a Mitsubishi, so you know that thing is gonna be worth about half in a year or two. I think Dodge did the right thing by taking that Neon SRT and souping it up, but still keeping it under $20K so that demographic can afford it.

· Registered
9,966 Posts

I test drove an IS300 yesterday in my never ending search for my next ride. I drove both a 5-speed sedan and the SportCross. I didn't really like the sedan too much. The shifter was one of the worst since the Taurus SHO. It just didn't seem to like being run through the gears. I also didn't like the lack of folding rear seats, no trip computer, only four fan speeds, no stability control, and I didn't like the way the brakes grabbed. Also, the fuel mileage is poor when compared to other cars in the class.
The SportCross I drove was a lot better. The auto seemed happier than the manual and seemed almost as quick. It has stability control and the folding seats. I still wasn't in love with the car.
I drove a Jetta GLI right after that and it just felt better to me. If I don't end up springing for a Z4, the GLI will be my next car.

Modified by VeeDubDriver at 6:59 AM 7-24-2003

· Banned
6,729 Posts

Oh yeah, I test drove a Z4 with the SMG shifter. It was a 2.5 and everytime I step on the gas, it revs up to redline. It's a very strange feeling to have a engine that revs up so fast, because I didn't have time to upshift. And shifting with the SMG itself feels weird.

· Registered
5,754 Posts

Isn't the IS300 being replaced by an IS430 or something like that?
When I first heard Lexus was coming out with their version of the BMW 3-series I was excited.
But when it actually came out I was quite disappointed. It was underpowered, too small and frankly a bit overpriced for what you got. And I think it looks like a fancy new-model Corolla.
I don't think they sell many of these things because I rarely see any. I see about 100 3-series for every IS300 I see.
I'm anxious to see what the new IS430 looks and drives like.

· Registered
9,966 Posts
Re: Mitsubishi Evolution Selling? (Eric in DC)

If I do get the Z4, it will not be with SMG. I still enjoy the act of rowing my own gears, even if it is less efficient.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I guess to each his own, but that new Z4 just doesn't do much for me. The lines on it are just too bulky and gawdy for my taste. I was never a fan of the Z3, I guess because it reminded me too much of a Miata, which I have always considered a "chick car" (even more than my Jetta is a "chick car").
I think BMW is really taking a wrong direction with their new styling. The new 7 series isn't very appealing to me and the new 5 series has the sae styling as the Z4 and the 7 series. From what I understand its some new young designer BMW has now that has designed all 3, not sure if its true, but thats what I heard. Supposedly the 3 series is gonna be his next victim.

· Banned
3,242 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Long Duck Dong »
I had an hour to kill today so I stopped at the local Mitsubishi dealer and they have about 7 or 8 Evo's sitting on the lot. I had never seen the inside of one, so I got out and headed over to the group of them, of course, only to be headed off by a rookie salesman. He gave me the whole rundown on the car, I was actually impressed with his knowledge of the car (he must have just seen 2Fast2Furious the night before), anyway I made my way around to the window sticker and it was in the low $30's, then I saw the extra little piece of paper dealers in California are so famous for...the ADJUSTED MARKET VALUE sheet, which was $8,995!!! I sat in the car and wasn't terribly impressed, its a decent car, but when you boil it down, its still a Lancer. I asked him if anyone had actually been paying over sticker for those and he said yes, I mentioned how I just saw an add on TV that another dealer about an hour away was advertising they were selling their EVO's for sticker. I told him thanks for giving me the run-down on the car, then like any good salesman should do, he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said no, then kinda chuckled and said especially at that price. I head out the door and some salesman who is higher up on the food chain at that dealership yells something about hey wanna buy it, I pretend to become hard of hearing at this point, since I was really not there to buy a car. So I get in my car and as I back out this guy is right there, I roll the window down and he is like "If you want to buy it, we have been authorized by our boss to sell them for MSRP". I once again told him I was just really looking and trying to kill some time, he then proceeded to tell me how the Subaru WRX wasn't as good of a car (I didn't know I was considering buying one of those either). Then he is asking me whats it gonna take to close the deal on this car. Once again, I tired to tell him I was merely LOOKING. With that he gave me his card and gave me the whole speal about how they need to move some cars before the end of the month (typical car salesman BS) and they need to move some of these EVO's. Anyway, somehow I managed to get my window rolled back up and drove off.
Is Mitsubishi EVO sales that bad or did I just happen to run into some REALLY aggressive salesmen??

Well, yeah that sales guys is showing his desperation and that will neve work.
Right now, it is buyers market. Don't care what kind of car it is. Even Enzo was sold at Sticker through one of the Ferrari dealership here in Ohio.
you are a fool if you pay over sticker on any cars right now. Car sales is rough business to be in and I feel bad for those who sells them

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Mitsubishi Evolution Selling? (GTiandrewK)

I think all the Enzo's were sold at sticker, in fact, I believe they were all spoken for before they were even released.
But I totally agree with you, I would never pay sticker, let alone over sticker for any car. I remember when the new beetle came out and fools were paying thousands over sticker for them, just so they could be the first ones seen in them

· Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Long Duck Dong »

How do you like that IS300 so far? I was going to buy one of those instead of my Jetta (not sure if I made the right decision), but I came across a steal on my Jetta and couldn't pass it up. I really like the exterior & the seats of the IS300, but the dash was a little weird I thought, kinda cool, but kinda gimicky. Anyway I am contemplating unloading my Jetta now (tired of all th nickel and dime problems with it), may have to give the Lexus or Audi dealer a visit. I think I will pass on the EVO, as fast as that car is, I still can't bring myself to pay $30K for a Lancer.

The IS has been treating me very well, but i'd expect that anyways of a new car.
Its not for everyone though. It is a little slower than a G35 and a 330i.
The interior isnt as nice as an A4, and has less features than the cheaper TSX.
BUT I just love how it feels. I think it has great steering, brakes, shifter, handling *rwd*, looks, interior...not everyone will agree, but thats okay.
I dig the fact that its not a popular car.
If you scored a great deal on your Jetta, then you made a good choice since IS's will always be around. You could get a great deal on a CPO one im sure.
The only things I miss are the trip computer and the bigger trunk that my Jetta had. But there is so much more to this car that I would of never got with my Jetta.
With all that said, when my lease is up in 3 years I will probably get a CPO G35C.
-Ash

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.