VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mitsubishi signals the return of 'Ralliart' performance line...can it save Mitsubishi?

• What does Renault-Nissan think?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yet another FASCINATING thread by Uber. Keep up the good work!

• Uber Wagon is a closet Mitsubishi fanboi.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
X2 M35i, Audi e-Tron, Toyota Corolla
16,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mitsubishi is reportedly reviving its long-dormant Ralliart performance line, giving longtime fans of the rally-inspired nameplate hope that some fun models may one day return to the Mitsubishi lineup as part of the company's efforts "toward the realization of Mitsubishi Motors-ness," whatever that means.

Per Forbes, Mitsubishi dropped this nugget during an investor call in Tokyo on Tuesday. The return of Ralliart after more than a decade in mothballs would be a pleasant surprise for Mitsubishi fans, but don't expect this to indicate a return of the old-school Lancer Evolution lineup — or anything else with four doors and a traditional trunk, for that matter. Don't believe us? Check out Mitsu's own materials:

After all, rallying is largely an off-road endeavor, and with modern consumers thirsting for high-riding crossovers and SUVs, it should come as no surprise that Mitsubishi's Ralliart revival will come from that direction. In better news, it appears that Ralliart's return will include new branded parts (and accessories, we imagine), which could mean that even non-Ralliart models will get some post-delivery love.

We also wouldn't be shocked (sorry) if the new vision for Ralliart is grounded (OK, we're not really sorry) in an electrification strategy. Ralliart? Perhaps more like Rall-e-art. As a matter of fact, from looking at Mitsubishi's presentation, the Ralliart news followed that of updates regarding the company's plug-in hybrid strategy.
Autoblog

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A time machine. All of their notable cars are at least 10 years old (except the Evo x, although that came out like 10 years ago). There's nothing enticing other than low price.
And 10-year powertrain warranty. ;)

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
1,049 Posts
There's not much short of a much improved Evo, that I wouldn't buy anyway, that could save their automotive line imo.

·
Registered
16,611 Posts
How often and how many times has there been a thread about saving Mitsubishi? I can't believe they are still hanging on here.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
They’ve been smart, they are only selling the breadwinners (small SUVs) and have the market almost cornered on penalty box transportation.

This is like a once beloved craft brewery falling on hard times, so they pivot to selling spiked seltzers to try and claw their way out of the red. Maybe it’s time for Mitsu to brew another hazy NEIPA.

·
Registered
34,743 Posts
Mitsubishi sells better than a handful of other lineups in the US, more than Volvo for example, so I'm not that surprised they are hanging on.
Yes, if Volvo can hang in there, so can Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Raliart was always lame base models with a sticker package and some wheels. Who cares.

If they brought it back and actually made it mean something like the cars are more like rally cars, then yes, I am interested.

However, given how they have absolutely murdered, buried, and **** all over the grave of the Eclipse nameplate, I do not have high hopes. Whoever the hell thought a turbo AWD rocket should become a CUV should be blackballed from the industry.

·
Registered
20,254 Posts
Raliart was always lame base models with a sticker package and some wheels. Who cares.

If they brought it back and actually made it mean something like the cars are more like rally cars, then yes, I am interested.
Sometimes, but not always. From 2010-2015 it had a 237 hp turbo, AWD and a dual-clutch, in the hatch or sedan.

Hatch

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Mitsubishi sells better than a handful of other lineups in the US, more than Volvo for example, so I'm not that surprised they are hanging on.
Except Volvo is selling high margin luxury cars and Mitsu is selling subprime loans.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts