VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
When you say "special", do you mean how do you proportion it as a 50/50 mix; i.e., by weight or by volume?

You can purchase straight methanol and mix it with distilled water yourself; this is what I do. Methanol is available from fuel suppliers (either shipped to you, or from the pump if you're lucky enough to be near a fuel station/race track that carries it), or on the shelf at your favorite auto parts store (HEET Gas Line Antifreeze).

·
Registered
519 Posts
I mix by weight, and it works out to a water/methanol volume ratio of roughly 44/56.

I mix mine in smaller batches; 102 ounces of distilled water with 128 ounces (1 gallon) of methanol, which fits conveniently in a 2 or 2-1/2 gallon fuel container. :beer:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am not too scientific about this W/M ratio. I just go with a 4 liter jug, I fill 1/2 with methanol and 1/2 with distilled water. Kaboooom.....50/50.
lmfao
i think op is talking about methanol weighing more than water
(p.s idk if methanol weighs more than water was just saying)

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I mix by weight, and it works out to a water/methanol volume ratio of roughly 44/56.

I mix mine in smaller batches; 102 ounces of distilled water with 128 ounces (1 gallon) of methanol, which fits conveniently in a 2 or 2-1/2 gallon fuel container. :beer:
That's pretty much spot on:

1000kg of pure water @ 4*C = 1 cubic metre
791.30kg of methanol @ 4*C = 1 cubic metre

=h20 is 20.87% more dense than methanol

The mixture above, by volume, uses 20.31% more methanol than water, making the total mixture, by mass, 50/50.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
methanol is 6.6lb/US gallon, water is 8.33/US gallon. just figure out the percentage you would like to mix.
As stated above ;)

Your units of measure are a little easier to work with though.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
10bottles of HEET and 1gal of DISTILLED water will give you roughly your 50/50 by weight

Meth= .825oz per fluid oz
Water= 1.04375oz per fluid oz

58.575oz Meth / 59.493oz Water = 49.6% meth/50.4% water

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
10bottles of HEET and 1gal of DISTILLED water will give you roughly your 50/50 by weight

Meth= .825oz per fluid oz
Water= 1.04375oz per fluid oz

58.575oz Meth / 59.493oz Water = 49.6% meth/50.4% water

[email protected]
Hmmm Thats Good To Know I Jus Installed My Methkit Yesterday And Put In The Gallon I Got From My Buddy .... He Said He Mixed His About 4 Bottles Of Heet To One Gallon Of Water , So looks Like Ill Be Buying Moar Heet For This Batch Im About To Make .... Now What If U Dont Use Water And Use Windshield Washer Fluid Like Ive Heard Of Some People Do

·
Registered
351 Posts
bump from the dead :vampire:

apparently ive been mixing way off.......

I have a 5g jug of m1 methanol and have been mixing 1/2g methanol to 2gallons of distilled h20. I still get a good 20* drop in temps and my AFr goes down to 12.xx on WOT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.