VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'd like to solicit some input regarding Mk 6 setups.

Spring rates -

Bar selection -

Alignment setups -

Wheel sizing -

Tire sizing -

The car in stock form is relatively pushy off throttle and fairly neutral once I'm on throttle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
a quality competitive BSP build, will run you 15 grand easily. and for real, a BSP car when complete is pretty much undrivable on the street. id reconsider that class.

but in order of BSP legal things to change on a car that make the most difference to the least difference:

-as big of R-comps mounted on as wide of wheels as possible
- something like 3 degrees negative camber all the way around (probably more in front than in back), maybe a slight amount of toe out in back to promote rotation
-as stiff of springs and roll bars as you can muster with some decently valved adjustable dampers (lowest quality: koni yellows)
-tune for e85 and as much boost as possible
-cat delete, full 3 inch exhuast

AWD controller to push more power rear might help too, im not terribly familiar with if the haldex on the mk6 is any good at that or not.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a quality competitive BSP build, will run you 15 grand easily. and for real, a BSP car when complete is pretty much undrivable on the street. id reconsider that class.

but in order of BSP legal things to change on a car that make the most difference to the least difference:

-as big of R-comps mounted on as wide of wheels as possible
- something like 3 degrees negative camber all the way around (probably more in front than in back), maybe a slight amount of toe out in back to promote rotation
-as stiff of springs and roll bars as you can muster with some decently valved adjustable dampers (lowest quality: koni yellows)
-tune for e85 and as much boost as possible
-cat delete, full 3 inch exhuast

AWD controller to push more power rear might help too, im not terribly familiar with if the haldex on the mk6 is any good at that or not.
The car isn't mine, it's already built, and I'm driving it for a local shop. It currently makes 370 whp (3" exhaust, HPFP, tune, custom shop intake) and has custom valved shocks (for race/competition) with 650f/450r spring rates.

My math, based on corner weights and a motion ration of 0.98 front and 1 in the rear, says that I should be running 550f/450r, but I'm not too concerned because I think I can balance things with tires/wheels and bar. What spring rates would you suggest?

Which leads to - what's the beastiest rear bar available? Largest I've seen in 27mm.

Wheels/tires - what's the widest wheel/largest tire I can fit on here? I know some Mk 6 GTI folks are running 285/30/18 Hoosiers.

Can I run a 17" wheel on the R and clear the brakes?

E85 - the car owner SWEARS that the turbo is maxed out on 93. He's very close with APR and says that's what they told him. That's why he says they won't run E85. That doesn't make much sense - E85 basically dumps pure oxygen in there which will make more power, even without more boost, plus it should allow more timing. Is there a reason people are afraid of E85?

I like the idea of toe out rear but I'm planning to hold it as a last resort. Plan is to go -3 front, -2 rear, see what happens. I usually put a tick of toe out front - is there any reason to avoid that in these cars?

Anything else you can helpfully provide to me?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about aero - the car is pretty optimized up front but the rear is a god damned mess - just due to the shape of the car. Does anyone make a good diffuser for the car or am I going to be making a front splitter and rear diffuser out of plywood and aluminum?

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
The problem we see with e85 is consistency at the pump. And also being able to pump approx 30% more fuel as compared to gasoline.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am new to the r as an autox platform. I am curious how you are getting a rear motion ratio of 1. Most discussions I have seen put it around .6-.7. Has the shop done something custom in the back?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I built my R for STX and competed locally and nationally this year. Lots of time and $ spent. Car is fun to drive but sadly it's just too heavy to compete (I think) in STX against the BRZ/FRS. The R weights 3200, the twins weigh around 2600 - 2700. I did fairly well at a few pro solos where the launch is a huge advantage. At Tours I got my ass kicked including at Nationals. I was really hoping for rain...that was my only chance for a top place finish. Locally the car can top pax but that's because of smaller sealed asphalt lots.

BSP...I've considered that as well. Make a ton of power. I think the biggest issues is tire size. In STX 245 is the max tire on an 8" wheel. Fronts with 3+ of camber has some room but the rears are tight with 245's. Meaning cutting the fenders and doing some kind of flares or running massive spring to keep the fender off the tire.

I can share more info if you'd like. My results are out there as well as a bunch of videos on FB.

Kevin

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I built my R for STX and competed locally and nationally this year. Lots of time and $ spent. Car is fun to drive but sadly it's just too heavy to compete (I think) in STX against the BRZ/FRS. The R weights 3200, the twins weigh around 2600 - 2700. I did fairly well at a few pro solos where the launch is a huge advantage. At Tours I got my ass kicked including at Nationals. I was really hoping for rain...that was my only chance for a top place finish. Locally the car can top pax but that's because of smaller sealed asphalt lots.

BSP...I've considered that as well. Make a ton of power. I think the biggest issues is tire size. In STX 245 is the max tire on an 8" wheel. Fronts with 3+ of camber has some room but the rears are tight with 245's. Meaning cutting the fenders and doing some kind of flares or running massive spring to keep the fender off the tire.

I can share more info if you'd like. My results are out there as well as a bunch of videos on FB.

Kevin
STX is a hard class these days, and being a mostly new car class there are lots of options to choose from and you can build a good car with new parts. Not surprising its mostly a FRS/BRZ deal. Surprise of the year was definitely the Z32 that finished 2nd in that class though..

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I am new to the r as an autox platform. I am curious how you are getting a rear motion ratio of 1. Most discussions I have seen put it around .6-.7. Has the shop done something custom in the back?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the damper has a published ratio of .98 and the spring is somewhere in the range you said.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello Kevin,
Regarding tire space at the back of your Golf R. I am only running a MK5 in STX but I noticed that 255/45 on 17x9 at the front and 225/45 at the back works best for me. I got inspired by the European Audi RS3 who came as an option from the factory with this configuration. I wonder if you really need to have the same tire size at the back?
What spring rates are you running?

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Hello Kevin,
Regarding tire space at the back of your Golf R. I am only running a MK5 in STX but I noticed that 255/45 on 17x9 at the front and 225/45 at the back works best for me. I got inspired by the European Audi RS3 who came as an option from the factory with this configuration. I wonder if you really need to have the same tire size at the back?
What spring rates are you running?
I'd think the 255/45 and 225/45 would be quite different rolling diameter wise...for the AWD R that's a no no.

255/40 might work though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry I meant 255/40 and I think it works well for that reason I wanted to share it. At the front with 3 degree negative camber and I did not even have to to anything on the fenders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts