VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-
I am interested in the folding mirror option, just can't understand the difference between these options:

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volkswagen--Golf-GTI-Rabbit--MK7--2015--TDI/Exterior/VW-MK7-GTI-Electronic-Folding-Mirror-Conversion.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-Passat-B7L-OEM-armrest-box-220v-power-supply-adapter-socket-3AD-907-155A/1697347105.html

Anyone see the difference, other than $250? Both claim to be OEM, seem to include the same parts (no modules). I know a few users on the Mk7 R put the Aliexpress on and are happy with them, just want to see if I'm missing something.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought tails for my Mk6 from Ed (BEC). He is a straight shooter from my experience - but he shows $399 for the folding mirrors, now I have:

1. USP: $499
  2. BEC: $399
  3. AliExpress: $255

It's getting more confusing, and I think they're all for the same items!

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
I think a few guys here have gone with Aliexpress on these and LED tails. They are OE from the Asian market. All good, though. If you deal with USP already, they may price match? Might be worth a phone call. :thumbup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought power folding mirrors and models for my mk7 golf off aliexpress. They are working great and they seem the same as the oem ones I ripped out just said made in china instead of made in mexico.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
You can also get the stripped down versions, which allow you to use the existing mirrors and mirror caps for a little less, but with Aliexpress there are a lot of different pricing, some are listed by the pair or each. I have even seen complete units with the switch for $200/set.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volk...est=201526_2,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,201409_1

Stripped down version:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...est=201526_2,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,201409_1
At that price it's almost worthwhile. So much OEM+ too with the LED exterior flood light :heart:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there an auto folding mirror kit that works with blind spot detection?
I am pretty glad you asked this - I have ordered a TDI with DAP. I would have bought those mirrors and went backwards in capability. There must be a way...maybe I should wait to get the car before I start ordering parts!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am pretty glad you asked this - I have ordered a TDI with DAP. I would have bought those mirrors and went backwards in capability. There must be a way...maybe I should wait to get the car before I start ordering parts!
If I buy a golf or gti I will definitely be getting dap but would love auto folding mirrors! So annoying that it's not an option in the u.s. You'd think there might be a way to buy ones that work with blind spot monitoring since bsm is also available in Europe but I'll wait for somebody else to find out :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I buy a golf or gti I will definitely be getting dap but would love auto folding mirrors! So annoying that it's not an option in the u.s. You'd think there might be a way to buy ones that work with blind spot monitoring since bsm is also available in Europe but I'll wait for somebody else to find out :)
Well, I will look into it - if I get my TDI. I read today that VW halted all diesel sales. Not sure how that affects my 10/28 build date, but it's certainly not going to speed things up!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
At that price it's almost worthwhile. So much OEM+ too with the LED exterior flood light :heart:
It is a relatively affordable mod and it looks cool and adds some parking functionality, not too much work to do, it's just that I do not have a VCDS yet and I'm leasing so I'm on the fence about doing it as it will need to be swapped back on return.

Also for those that are getting a Golf, I believe you need to add a different module not sure if it's for all models or not, but I recall reading the GTI comes with the proper module to make this work and the Golf does not. Someone on here or the other Golf Forum I read it.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Also for those that are getting a Golf, I believe you need to add a different module not sure if it's for all models or not, but I recall reading the GTI comes with the proper module to make this work and the Golf does not. Someone on here or the other Golf Forum I read it.
Golfs work fine as long as you have the lighting package. Since these have the door cards that have illuminated strips and backlit door handles, it has the proper controller to handle it. Mine was plug, code, and play without any need for replacement modules. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Golfs work fine as long as you have the lighting package. Since these have the door cards that have illuminated strips and backlit door handles, it has the proper controller to handle it. Mine was plug, code, and play without any need for replacement modules. :thumbup:
I see, thanks for pointing that out, I knew it was something but forgot the specifics.

Do you have auto-dip setting through VCDS on the passenger mirror? If so, do you have issues with it aligning back to position? I'm reading this on some posts that is does not return correctly.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I see, thanks for pointing that out, I knew it was something but forgot the specifics.

Do you have auto-dip setting through VCDS on the passenger mirror? If so, do you have issues with it aligning back to position? I'm reading this on some posts that is does not return correctly.
I never touched that setting actually but I might shortly.

I forgot to mention before, I personally have the Aliexpress versions and they work perfect!

·
Registered
4,605 Posts

It returns the mirror from pointing down, but it never puts it back to the previous position. It always go back to a position higher then what it was previously at where I then need to readjust it back down to see properly from that mirror. It's rather annoying.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I never touched that setting actually but I might shortly.

I forgot to mention before, I personally have the Aliexpress versions and they work perfect!
Did you get the stripped versions and just transfer over the mirrors and caps or ? I'm just wondering if it's worth it, based on several I see it doesn't since my car is already Pure White.

It returns the mirror from pointing down, but it never puts it back to the previous position. It always go back to a position higher then what it was previously at where I then need to readjust it back down to see properly from that mirror. It's rather annoying.
I read that on several forums, I know VW use dip the passenger mirrors in the Wagon variants, I probably would not need to enable it as I have Park Pilot anyways.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Did you get the stripped versions and just transfer over the mirrors and caps or ? I'm just wondering if it's worth it, based on several I see it doesn't since my car is already Pure White.
I bought the stripped mirrors but the seller ended up sending me a full set as he ran out of stripped versions. Just transferred my blue caps on and now I have an extra set of silver caps if I need them (or if anyone wants to buy them :thumbup:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
What does coding do? Just make it so the mirrors fold when locked/unlocked? Does it change any other settings besides the mirrors? Do you know if they make a version that works with blind spot detection?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What does coding do? Just make it so the mirrors fold when locked/unlocked? Does it change any other settings besides the mirrors? Do you know if they make a version that works with blind spot detection?
Coding is required to let the car know it has folding mirrors. If you don't code the door modules and BCM (Body Control Module), the mirrors will act exactly as they where non-folding mirrors. No idea on a version that supports blind spot but I would assume they do but maybe not the china versions. I have yet to see one anywhere so really have no idea.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts