VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to purchase my next GTI (this one will be my third! Mk8 obviously) and I was curious to hear from those of who bought your car in the last year or so. I get that supply chain issues and inflation are causing increases in everything we buy, but is there still room to negotiate? We’re you able to when you purchased? Im looking at a 2022 GTI S (opting for the DSG this go around)

thanks for any insights? I’m in the NJarea if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck in the NJ area sheesh..... The dealers were charging rediculous markups before I bought. Anyways, trend motors in Rockaway doesn't charge any markup on any car besides the r. I'd go from there to see what's available.

·
Registered
2022 GTI-S stick
51 Posts
I paid $31,395 for my GTI - S Manual. That was the sticker price. There was no negotiating and there were 3 people ready to buy the car if I didn’t. A guy the same day bought a R for $3k over the sticker price. Apparently they don’t markup GTI’s at this dealership. FWIW, I wouldn’t of bought it if they did.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck in the NJ area sheesh..... The dealers were charging rediculous markups before I bought. Anyways, trend motors in Rockaway doesn't charge any markup on any car besides the r. I'd go from there to see what's available.
Thanks. I’m looking at a sticker of $32,195 for reflex metallic silver DSG. I think it’s reasonable given everything going on, but I’ve seen them ever so slightly cheaper elsewhere online.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks. I’m looking at a sticker of $32,195 for reflex metallic silver DSG. I think it’s reasonable given everything going on, but I’ve seen them ever so slightly cheaper elsewhere online.
Yeah I mean I'd have to look back at my sticker to see how much it was but mine came with the cargo mat and monster mats added onto the car as an option. So obviously that raised the price but I believe it's worth it for what u get. But yeah getting a car at sticker is not a terrible deal in today's market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I paid Sticker on Monday for an S DSG. I was just happy to find something at any price up here in New England.

i’ve been on a list waiting for an opportunity to buy an R for about six months now and I’m still number six on the list. Since it didn’t look like I would actually get a chance anytime this year I bought a slick top.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP - as far as getting some $$$ off - being with VW for 25 years and with the same dealer for 20 years - I've got a little wiggle room, either knock a few hundred off the MSRP, get a few extra hundred for my trade or stock up on some accessories - not as much if it were business as usual, but they're sales are hurting as well, so I can understand where that there just isn't as much play as usual, and thats cool.

·
Registered
279 Posts
OTD (out the door price) is what u should be looking at. I've seen many times a car that is priced higher, is actually cheaper when dealers add on bogus fee's. Some states regulate this ie CA, other states u can charge whatever u want.

I bought my s dsg for sticker and I thought I GOT A GREAT DEAL compared all other dealers in socal, most where $5K to $10K over sticker, if u count on the ridiculous add on's

If u want the car (color and trim), at sticker, no bogus dealer fee's or add ons, consider it a great deal. GOODLUCK

·
Registered
306 Posts
👆This is good advice. My dealer did no add-ons, and no crazy dealer fees or any hidden fees. There are thousands of threads on this across hundreds of car forms. At the end of the day, try to foster a good relationship with your sales person, and be vigilant at looking at the totality of the sale.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP - as far as getting some $$$ off - being with VW for 25 years and with the same dealer for 20 years - I've got a little wiggle room, either knock a few hundred off the MSRP, get a few extra hundred for my trade or stock up on some accessories - not as much if it were business as usual, but they're sales are hurting as well, so I can understand where that there just isn't as much play as usual, and thats cool.
According to the VW website, MSRP is $31,675 (including destination charge). Is this what I should be targeting? This would equate to a $520 savings ($32,195 is what they are advertising).

Thanks all for the advice. Going for a test drive on Monday.

·
Registered
22 GTI Autobahn Pomelo Yellow
200 Posts
According to the VW website, MSRP is $31,675 (including destination charge). Is this what I should be targeting? This would equate to a $520 savings ($32,195 is what they are advertising).

Well MSRP with taxes, reg/title fees and if they can in your state dealer fees. (Normally Document Fee. Could be a little different state to state but in MA I had to pay Reg, Doc, Tax, and the MSRP.

·
Registered
564 Posts

As pointed out in a couple of other posts, there are also dealer fees such as documentation etc,. This changes drastically from State/Province to State/Province and from dealership to dealership. Some of these fees are legit, others aren't and the ones that are legit usually have insane markups - so best to find out what fees in your area are legit, what they're really worth and negotiate them.

For example, where I live, a base GTI has a MSRP of $31,495. PDI and some Government taxes on A/C and tires is about $1,875, sales tax is another $4,004 so that brings the OTD price to $37,374 - anything else is dealer added fees and markups which is where you can negotiate, maybe not in price, but maybe with some accessories thrown in.

Personally, with the example I gave, depending on how much the fees my dealer asked for, I'd negotiate some accessories to be thrown in (mats, splash guards, etc.) to make up the difference - anything above $38,000 I'd walk though. Again, thats just me - all depends on how bad you want the car. In my situation, I've been dealing with the same place and person for 20 years, so we don't BS each other - so for me, thats an added bonus.

You have to decide yourself what your comfort zone is. Just know what the MSRP and legit fees and taxes are, compare that to what the dealer is asking for and given the supply issues right now and the increase in demand for these cars (depending on where you are), negotiating is quite different then it was 2 years ago. Maybe your willing to pay a few extra thousand dollars because you really want the car, and thats cool, but if you want to get the car for a rock bottom price, you might have to be patient.

Have fun shopping though, and enjoy the experience 😁

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
If you want PM the deal they are offering you with all the fees broken down, or post here. I will let you know if that is a fair price. DO NOT rush to sign any paperwork. For start, you should not be paying more than sticker for a base GTI in NJ right now. Let's see what fees they are adding on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you want PM the deal they are offering you with all the fees broken down, or post here. I will let you know if that is a fair price. DO NOT rush to sign any paperwork. For start, you should not be paying more than sticker for a base GTI in NJ right now. Let's see what fees they are adding on.
Thank you sir!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts