VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mk 8 Price Negotiations

9K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  ThisIsChris 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to purchase my next GTI (this one will be my third! Mk8 obviously) and I was curious to hear from those of who bought your car in the last year or so. I get that supply chain issues and inflation are causing increases in everything we buy, but is there still room to negotiate? We’re you able to when you purchased? Im looking at a 2022 GTI S (opting for the DSG this go around)

thanks for any insights? I’m in the NJarea if that makes any difference.

#46 ·
I'd suggest going to multiple dealerships, if you have more than one in your area. The experience can be vastly different, and they key is to find out which part of the deal they CAN negotiate- there's always something, and if there's not, then go to a different dealer.

I went to two dealerships when shopping for my MKVIII SE; I'm near DC and we have like 6 dealerships nearby. The first insisted they only had one S available, in white, and I'd have to put down a deposit months in advance, sight unseen, for another option. And they were lowballing the trade-in offer that their own website calculated (based on KBB).

Second dealership: they honored the KBB trade-in offer calculated at their website. They had received an SE the night before and it was ready to go, along with 3 or 4 other models on the lot. Their "version" of the current markup situation is that they didn't mark up the price over MSRP, but they did require purchase of their maintenance plan- which is surprisingly pretty good. Then we sat down to negotiate (for a lease), and I got them to come down to within $4 / mo of my target payments.

Good luck- it's worth it!

#47 ·
I paid sticker for my S manual. They did make me finance through vw as apparently the dealer gets a kickback. No prepayment penalty so it wasn’t an issue.
I did have to pay 299 dollars for some anti theft bs. It was basically stickers on each body panel. I just peeled them off.
I did get one perk, weighted vw center caps were added and I wasn’t charged for them.

#48 ·
Hi there -new poster and seriously considering my first VW since the late 80’s… I have been looking here in the Long Island area but most of the mark up are about 3k over sticker with no flexibility. I wonder if Not having a trade probably hurts … Looks like most of you have done better. I won’t need the car 8 months so not in a rush to buy (looking for a gti- s version) but I wonder with inflation will VW just raise the MSRP on the 2023 models. I have also looked a little in New England and haven’t seen any MSRP DEALS either..

#52 ·
I got 1.99% for 48 months using credit union.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.