VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they going to offer the 1.8T in the MK V??? I know they will have a 2.0 T, but it only has a 16v head. I love the fact the 1.8T has a 20v head.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,319 Posts
Re: MK V 1.8 T (juggernut)

Quote, originally posted by juggernut »
Are they going to offer the 1.8T in the MK V???

No

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MK V 1.8 T (Hajduk)

Do'h that sucks.... I mean the 2.0T sounds cool, but I wonder if you could fit a 20V head on it.

·
Registered
18,319 Posts

Do'h that sucks.... I mean the 2.0T sounds cool, but I wonder if you could fit a 20V head on it.

Since the 2.0T will be direct-injection, there is no room for the 5th valve.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: MK V 1.8 T (Hajduk)

well you wouldnt need room for it, becase you would be using a complete 20v head. Not trying to fit 5 valves on the 16 v head.

·
Registered
18,319 Posts

well you wouldnt need room for it, becase you would be using a complete 20v head. Not trying to fit 5 valves on the 16 v head.

the 20V head won't fit which is why it is a 16V head in the first place.

·
Registered
18,319 Posts

Yea how do you know??? The 20v head fits on the current 2.0 ABA engine.

The current 2.0 does not have a fuel injector in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

Yea how do you know??? The 20v head fits on the current 2.0 ABA engine.

Since the 2.0T will be FSI - you would have to convert the 20V head to FSI, which you could not do which is why they dropped the 5V per cylinder configuration since there is not enough room for 5 valves and an injector.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Re: MK V 1.8 T ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

Since the 2.0T will be FSI - you would have to convert the 20V head to FSI, which you could not do which is why they dropped the 5V per cylinder configuration since there is not enough room for 5 valves and an injector.

You forgot a spark plug

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: MK V 1.8 T (KARMANN_16V)

No I'm talking about taking a 1.8t and then yanking that new 2.0 FSI block and bolting it up to an entire 20V head. All I would use is the block for its larger size and lower compression.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

but *why*
the fsi engines all get about 20% more hp and torque from 20% *less* fuel
therefore giving you the ability to build it that much more.
the 20v head is spiffy, but the 2.0t is better technology. The 1.8t has been around in audi cars for just over a decade.

Bring on the 2.0t

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: MK V 1.8 T (XenoLlama)

Quote, originally posted by XenoLlama »
the 20v head is spiffy, but the 2.0t is better technology.

What are you talking about better technology?? 5v's per cylinder, show me any other car man that has done that. I like the flow characteristics of the 20v. Not sure how well the 16v will compare in flow, but I will find out eventually. Can some one give me a link to the new 2.0T engine??

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

No I'm talking about taking a 1.8t and then yanking that new 2.0 FSI block and bolting it up to an entire 20V head. All I would use is the block for its larger size and lower compression.

Why go through all that trouble? Just stroke out the 1.8T block to 2.0L - there are several kits to do so.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

What are you talking about better technology?? 5v's per cylinder, show me any other car man that has done that. I like the flow characteristics of the 20v. Not sure how well the 16v will compare in flow, but I will find out eventually. Can some one give me a link to the new 2.0T engine??

Since the 2.0T has not been officially released in ANY VAG product - there is currently very little information or even pictures of it floating around.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: MK V 1.8 T ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Why go through all that trouble? Just stroke out the 1.8T block to 2.0L - there are several kits to do so.

No way, if you bore out the 1.8 you will make the cylinder side walls weaker then they already are, especially for a high boost application. I rather just have a solid 2.0 block, with the 20V head. Also what does the FSI stand for and does anyone know the specs of the engine at all, like what turbo they are going to use??

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

No way, if you bore out the 1.8 you will make the cylinder side walls weaker then they already are, especially for a high boost application. I rather just have a solid 2.0 block, with the 20V head. Also what does the FSI stand for and does anyone know the specs of the engine at all, like what turbo they are going to use??

You don't have to bore out the 1.8T to got to 2.0l. If you are talking high boost applications - you will need to rebuild the bottom end anyway - since the 2.0T won't handle high boost any better than the 1.8T, since neither are designed for that application. FSI is just their nomenclature for direct injection. No specifics about the engine have been released yet.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

5v's per cylinder, show me any other car man that has done that.

Passat 2.8L 30v V6

A4/A6 3.0L 30v V6

S4/A6/Allroad 2.7L 30v BiTurbo V6

S4/A8/Phaeton/Toureag 4.2L 40v V8

Need more?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: MK V 1.8 T (XenoLlama)

The 20V MIGHT fit the 2.0T block...once u change the cylinder head...the injection system also changes. It's like putting a 16v head on an ABA block.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts