VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mk V Door Electrics Info Thread (w/ Part Numbers)

48K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  GTI's 
#1 ·
I've been posting piecemeal in the EOS Mirror Thread and the Door Warning Light thread and thought it would be easier if I put this all together in 1 post. Thanks goes to davidch (who installed the 2005.5 Jetta mirrors with puddle lights), chadcronin (who posted the info on installing warning lights in Passat doors, which are the same electrically as the Mk V (and even use the same door controllers in some cases, see below)), and NorthernSky who originally reported about the wiring differences in his 2007 GLI (which made me look at the Bentley diagrams closer).
What we got in North America
Unless you have a 2005.5 Pkg 2 or 3 Jetta, you don't have the "puddle lights" (aka Ambient Mirror Lighting in VAG Speak). No NAR (North American Region) cars got power folding mirrors either. Some time in 2006 (and all Rabbit/GTI/R32) the door warning lights (red lights at the bottom of the door trim card) were replaced with non-light up reflectors.
All of these functions are controlled by the driver and passenger door modules. These are a combination of a CAN-BUS controller, power distribution module and power window motor. There are 4 part numbers for the front door modules that were installed from the factory in NAR Mk Vs. -
1K0 959 701K (drivers) and 1K0 959 702K (passenger) these were installed in Jettas through 09/05 (per ETKA). davidch's 2006 Jetta has them as well as my 11/05 build GTI, so that cutoff date seems inaccurate. For those that don't know VW stands for varies widely. These are described in the VCDS label file as Gen 2 MIN modules. They do not have the measuring blocks for mirror folding, but will drive power, heated mirrors as well as turn signals, puddle lights and the door warning lights.
1K0 959 701L (drivers) and 1K0 959 702L (passenger). Supposedly these were installed in Jettas from 10/05 as well as all Golfs (see above as my early Mk V GTI has the K modules). These are described as Gen 2 MAX modules which means that they have the measuring blocks for mirror folding. Whether or not these modules will fold mirrors remains the be seen, however it is likely they will because ROW 2005-2006 Golfs and Jettas that have folding mirrors use the 701/702L. An easy test might be to run a test wire between the two pins on the connector to the switch and see if the measuring blocks change or throw an error becuase the mirrors won't fold. I was going to do this until I found out my car has the K modules. At some point I may take a $170 gamble and buy the 701L and a switch and test my theory out.
Below are the Gen 3 modules which came on 2007 and up cars. These modules are wired differently in the 32 pin connector so the existing instructions for the door warning lights will not work. However the mirror switch and mirror harness pinouts are the same so the puddle lights and folding instructions and part numbers will work fine.
1K0 959 701M (drivers) and 1K0 959 702M (passenger). These are Gen 3 MIN modules. I suspect this is now the default module for NAR Golf and Jetta.
1K0 959 701N (drivers) and 1K0 959 702N (passenger). These are Gen 3 MAX modules installed in Golfs for model year 2007+.
1K0 959 701Q (drivers) and 1K0 959 702Q (passenger). These are installed in NAR 2007 Passats and Jettas and are available from US parts suppliers. They are described as Gen 3 MAX modules in VCDS and are used in 2007+ (Rest of World, ie. not North America) Jettas and Passats as well. Some trim codes of these are listed as the part for ROW Jettas with folding mirrors. See below for my comments on the trim code/default factory coding theory.

Based on what ETKA says, here is a breakdown of part revision and generation and what they came in -
P/N Rev Type Application Date Range
K Gen 2 Min NAR Jetta, Golf (at least mine) 01/05-09/05
L Gen 2 Max ROW Jetta, Golf Jetta 5/05-6/06, Golf 6/05-5/06
L Gen 2 Max NAR Jetta, Golf (all) 10/05->
L Gen 2 Max ROW, NAR Passat 3/05-5/06
M Gen 3 Min
N Gen 3 Max ROW Golf 5/06-> (2007 in VIN)
Q Gen 3 Max ROW Jetta, Golf Variant, NAR Jetta Wagon 7/06-> (2007 in VIN)
Q Gen 3 Max ROW, NAR Passat 5/06-> (2007 in VIN)
Front Door Module Coding Map -
+0000001 = Rear Lid Remote Unlock Button (E233) (does nothing on passenger side module)
+0000002 = Ambient Mirror Illumination
+0000004 = Mirror Turn Signals
+0000008 = Interior Door Handle Illumination installed
+0000016 = Automatic Run active
+0000032 = Mirror Heater installed
+0000064 = Door Exit/Warning Light installed
+0000128 = 5-Door Chassis
+0000256 = Seat Memory installed
+0000512 = Right Hand Steering
+0001024 = Safe-Motor not installed (this is 1 on all NAR cars I've seen)
+0002048 = Pinch Protection inactive (this is 0 on all NAR cars I've seen)
All of the GEN 2 rear door modules are capable of driving warning lights. You will need to check the Jetta manual for the pinouts of the 18 pin connector for the door warining lights. The rear module coding map is as follows -
Rear Door Module Coding Map -
+0000008 - Interior Door Handle Illumination installed (PR-QQ4/QQ6)
+0000016 - Automatic Run active
+0000064 - Door Exit/Warning Light installed (PR-QQ4)
+0000128 - 5-Door Chassis (PR-0A2)
+0000256 - Seat Memory
+0000512 - Right Hand Steering (PR-L0R)
+0001024 - Safe-Motor not installed (PR-5C1)
+0002048 - Pinch Protection inactive

So boring stuff aside, there are basically 4 things you can add to the doors that we did not get here in North America. I am going to list them in the order of relative complexity and number of parts needed to make them work.
Door Warning Lights
Parts Required -
1K0 947 411 A - Door Entry Light (1 per door)
1J0 971 972 - 2-Pin Connector (1 per door)
000 979 019 - Repair Wire (1 per door)
000 979 018 – Repair Wire (1 for every 2 doors)
2' of 18 gauge wire per door
softballbud had a kit put together for this as well, so you might check with him.
Instructions -
See http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3044166 for more info. If you have a 2007 Mk V that has a door control module ending in M, N or Q (Gen 3) there is already a wire in pin 1 that drives the door lock led, and the door harness ground is at pin 21 instead of pin 2 so these instructions will not work, unless someone can determine if the door warning light pin has been moved to another pin in the 2007 and up cars. It may be in the wiring diagrams of the Passat service manual as some of them still have entry lights instead of reflectors. According to a post in the link above the 2007 and up door entry light +12V is on Pin 18 of the 32 pin connector and the ground is on Pin 21.
Basically you cut the 000 979 019 in half and stick the terminals in the connector. Splice the 000 979 019 that goes in pin 2 of the 1J0 971 972 connector to the 000 979 018 with an additional 12" or so of wire if you want to follow the factory routing the the styrofoam door inserts. The 000 979 018 goes into pin 1 of the 32 pin connector that goes into the door modules. The other 000 979 019 you splice to another 12" or so of wire and tap splice that to the wire in pin 2 of the 32 pin connector. The polarity isn't critical as the bulb is incandescent. You will need to recode the door modules and add 64 to the existing coding to tell them they have the warning lights installed now.
The connectors for the rear door modules are 18 pin and I don't know what the appropriate pins are. Someone needs to look at a 2005-2006 Jetta wiring diagram for the rear doors to figure out what the warning lamp pins are. I'll add info here as I get it.
I did this on my GTI and the parts for 2 doors from 1stvwparts.com were around $50 shipped.
Puddle Lights
Parts Required -
1K1 857 507 BT 9B9 - Driver's Mirror, power, heated, puddle lights (2005.5 Jetta)
1K1 857 508 BR 9B9 - Passenger's Mirror, power, heated, puddle lights (2005.5 Jetta)
Instructions -
See http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...79060 here for more info.
Basically you need to remove the mirror assemblies, take them apart and transfer the covers from your old mirrors to the new assemblies and install the new assemblies (not sure, davidch can chime in here, might be easier to transfer the covers after the new assemblies are mounted to the door). The mirror assemblies come with new harnesses so they are plug and play into the door modules. You will need to recode the door modules and add 2 to the coding. The puddle lights will work without enabling coming/leaving home functions in the CEC.
Those parts are $400 from 1stvwparts but you might be able to sell your existing mirror assemblies since they are a complete replacement except for the covers.
Folding Mirrors with Puddle Lights
Parts Required (these are European parts, so some are available in NA, but mirror assemblies will probably have to be sourced from Europe) -
1K1 857 507AL 9B9 - Driver's Side Mirror Assembly (LHD), heated, power, puddle lights, folding.
1K1 857 508BT 9B9 - Passenger's Side Mirror Assembly (LHD), heated, power, puddle lights, folding.
1K0 959 565J REH - Mirror switch with folding & heat control

1K0 959 701L (Gen 2 MAX) - Driver's side door control module, if your car came with the 701K which will not fold mirrors
1K0 959 702L (Gen 2 MAX) - Passenger's side door control module if your car came with the 702K.
1K0 959 701N or Q (Gen 3 MAX) - Driver's side door control module, if your car came with the 701M which will not fold mirrors
1K0 959 702N or Q (Gen 3 MAX) - Passenger's side door control module if your car came with the 702M.

Instructions -
Basically the same as the puddle lights above except that you may have to replace the door modules. You will replace the mirror switch also. Be sure to write down the coding from your existing door modules before disassembling (and add 2 to it if you don't have puddle lights now, add 64 also if you are adding warning lights). If you replace the door modules, transfer the new coding to them and clear out any codes. There is no additional coding needing for folding, however. I believe the mirror assemblies will have to be sourced from a European supplier.
The 701K has been superceeded in the NAR ETKA to the 701L. You can get a 1K0959701LA02 (description is drivers side module for 4-door) for $135 from 1stvwparts.com (the other trim levels of the 701L are $180-230). I believe the trim levels correspond to the default out of the box coding as the Bentley manual doesn't mention recoding the module if it is replaced. So I believe you can buy whichever trim code is cheapest or available as long as you transfer the existing coding to the new module after installing it and clear any codes. The 702K has not yet been superceeded (as of 4/2008, ETKA update 697) so the 702L is still $230 from 1stvwparts.com The 1K0959702LA02 is probably going to be the most common as it is for the 4 door cars.
The mirror assemblies come up in worldimpex.com lookup as european parts that they can get for $300+. The switch is $40ish from 1stvwparts. So total if you don't need modules is going to be $650+, or $1000+ if you do.
Update 8/2009 - ECS Tuning now has the ability to order euro parts, they have the mirror assemblies for $250 each.
Interior Door Handle Illumination
It doesn't appear that any Golf, Jetta or Passat came with this, but the modules (MIN or MAX) support this. There have been people who grafted lights into the door handle pockets and drove them using the door module. I'll add more info as I get it. Both the Touraeg and A3 came with the lights so you might get ideas from there. At this time it is not known what pin drives the door handle illumination.

Modified by rickerbr at 5:35 AM 5-8-2008

Modified by rickerbr at 2:42 PM 9-19-2008

Modified by rickerbr at 7:19 AM 8-11-2009

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: Mk V Door Electrics Info Thread (rickerbr)

Quote, originally posted by rickerbr »

Basically you need to remove the mirror assemblies, take them apart and transfer the covers from your old mirrors to the new assemblies and install the new assemblies (not sure, davidch can chime in here, might be easier to transfer the covers after the new assemblies are mounted to the door). The mirror assemblies come with new harnesses so they are plug and play into the door modules. You will need to recode the door modules and add 2 to the coding. The puddle lights will work without enabling coming/leaving home functions in the CEC.

rickerbr...very good write up. I will try to write up some step by step instructions over the weekend. As far as the cover goes, I disassembled and reassembled the cover while the mirror assemblies were unattached from the vehicle. It gave me the ability to rotate everything around while I was removing them, but it also made harder to keep them stable as I was pulling them apart. I think its a give and take and both ways would work. I used a combination of a small flat head screwdriver to open the clip and the vag trim tool (i.e bone) to pry the parts apart. I was patient and didn't damage either in the process. However, I did slightly nick top of the right cover while pulling off the attached wires from the back of the mirror w/ some plyers. Overall though, it went well. That and a driver side door panel snap clip were the only damage.

#8 ·
Final???

I see it's been since April and it doesn't look as if any additional info has been added to this thread. Is there a final DIY write-up to include those pics from davidch?
I have enjoyed reading all about these mirrors and believe me when I say - I was HIGHLY disappointed with VWoA for no longer including these options on the MkV Jettas (after their brief introduction in 2005.5). I am very interested in adding these mirrors to my GLI Fahrenheit.
However, I'm a bit confused - what part numbers do I need? I'm interested in adding both the "puddle" lights as well as the power folding ability, however both threads I've read don't seem to clearly identify which parts I should purchase. Also, based on my reading, I'm still not clear as to whether I should be purchasing any replacement door modules. Could someone please provide a "final post" to summarize or maybe that DIY!?!?!?
TIA
Jim C.

#9 ·
Re: Final??? (cat_daddy)

Since your car is a 2007, you probably have the 701/2M modules, you will need to buy 701/2 N or Q modules, the 2 mirror assemblies and the switch. If you just want puddle lights, just buy the 2005.5 assemblies, you don't need new door modules.

#10 ·
just found this...nice thread!

#11 ·
Puddle light problem

I just tried installing mirrors I got from a salvaged 2005.5 Jetta into my 2007 GLI. I verified the puddle light worked before installing it by hooking up a couple of leads to the wires in the 16-pin harness and connected them to a 9-volt battery, and the light came on just fine. I removed my interior door trim, removed my old mirror, swaped the mirror caps out, put the 05 mirror on the car, put everything back together, coded the mirror (added 2 to the door controller), and tried it out (in the dark). The puddle light will not come on. I checked with my VAG-COM for faults, and none come up. Old coding was 1269, new coding is 1271. Any ideas what could be wrong? From the details of this thread, the pinouts on the 16-pin connector aren't any different between model years. I'm stumped...

#12 ·
I just tried installing mirrors I got from a salvaged 2005.5 Jetta into my 2007 GLI. I verified the puddle light worked before installing it by hooking up a couple of leads to the wires in the 16-pin harness and connected them to a 9-volt battery, and the light came on just fine. I removed my interior door trim, removed my old mirror, swaped the mirror caps out, put the 05 mirror on the car, put everything back together, coded the mirror (added 2 to the door controller), and tried it out (in the dark). The puddle light will not come on. I checked with my VAG-COM for faults, and none come up. Old coding was 1269, new coding is 1271. Any ideas what could be wrong? From the details of this thread, the pinouts on the 16-pin connector aren't any different between model years. I'm stumped...
Any ideas? Anyone?

#13 ·
^I haven't read all the details in this thread, but is there a coding change in vagcom and was that change made?

Is the door module discussed in the OP the black module in this pic?

If so, the number of my module is 1K0 959 792 G and it says Australia underneath. Anyone have info regarding this unit? My Jetta is a non-package 2.0T with a build date of August '05.

#15 · (Edited)
I know this is digging up an old thread, but I attempted adding the mirror puddle lights per the DIY. Problem is, even though I coded it, I got nadda. I've been living with it for a while since I attempted it, and finally got some free time to take the drivers side door apart again.

First things first, I have a 2007 VW Jetta GLI. My drivers door controller has part number 1K0 959 793 L

I checked out 32 pin connector in the door module, and I believe from what I've read that puddle goes to pin T32/10. The door controller does not have a male pin for that connector. The part number on the door controller does not seem to match up with any of the controllers listed in the first post.

So I know I need a new door controller. Which ones are compatible with my car (without major rewiring). I've also added the door warning lights on the bottom, so I don't want to loose those. If I'm going to go through the hassle of doing this, I may want to get one compatible with folding for future use.... depends on cost. So, what can i get to:

a) Just allow me to keep everything I already have but add mirror puddle lights
b) Mirror puddle lights and folding

#18 ·
I understand this is a long dead thread, but I'm installing 2005.5 mirrors in my 2007 Jetta. The new (05.5) mirrors have puddle lights. Everything plugs right in. Can someone explain why I need to swap all the components from the old mirror tot eh new?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.