VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have beeen running a Mk 2 for 8 years now, Most of it in ITB but i put it HP and did a few events. I realise the MkV will be a more expensive car to run mainly because of tire wear.I own my own VW repair shop and I work on MK 4s and 5s everyday, so having to repair one doesnt scare me at all. But heres the deal, I might possibly be able to get my hands on an 07 GTI for cheap. Dirt cheap. It can never be titled or registered, and only to be sold as a racecar or a showcar. Ive read thorugh the T3 rules, Im worried about the Cobalt and the SRT-4 . Does anybody run one of these? Are they competetive? How do they hold up under fighting conditions ? Is this a good idea or am I trying to race over my head.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Re: Mk V GTI in T3. Anybody doing it? (greengti81)

There were three at the SCCA RUNOFFS.
http://www.scca.org/popup/race...e=964
I did a track day in mine bone stock MKV GTI it was faster on street tires then then mine brother FP Honda. Mine brother and I were going to build one for T3. Mine brother and I both lost our jobs. Go 130+ into 12 at Road America.

Now the VW money is 1500 for win at national's for T3 and SSC.
http://www.scca.org/documents/...t.pdf

Modified by uscrew96 at 8:39 PM 1-31-2010

Modified by uscrew96 at 8:43 PM 1-31-2010

Modified by uscrew96 at 8:46 PM 1-31-2010

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Yep. Aaron Stehley aka rabbidmk1 was on the podium at the 09 runoffs.
Richard Fischer was running a car as well - and was 4th or 5th.
There was also a car out of Texas running. Seems a reasonable package, but the S2000 is a VERY stout package to compete against, with the winner running significantly faster than anyone else in the field.
As noted the contingency money from VW got a LOT better for T and SS classes in 10.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Re: (chois)

Quote, originally posted by chois »
Yep. Aaron Stehley aka rabbidmk1 was on the podium at the 09 runoffs.
Richard Fischer was running a car as well - and was 4th
There was also a car out of Texas running. Seems a reasonable package, but the S2000 is a VERY stout package to compete against, with the winner running significantly faster than anyone else in the field.

I guess I should say hi
. This season a few of us have been petitioning for a few added parts and consessions. No matter what will happen, the GTI is a pretty well rounded package IMHO. It was a pretty big jump from my mk3 ITB car but after 1 event I felt right at home behind the wheel.
let me know if I can answer any questions
Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (rabbidmk1)

Well then I guess I should say Hi also. As of now I have the car in my possession, And should be started on the cage in about a week or so. With a business and a 5 month old my time is kinda limited. Time permitted I should have it out later this summer. I am an APR dealer, so I am going to the dealer conference next week. Maybe Ill see you there. I can write a letter to the CRB if you need me to. Ive got a couple of questions, if ive got any more ill IM you, Thanks

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Re: (greengti81)

I wont be at the Dealer conference but feel free to IM me with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Re: (rabbidmk1)

FWIW...
I remember the colbalt and gti were in the lightning laps at VIR hosted by car and driver or road and track. You should be able to find something on line. I think the colbalt was 8-10 seconds quicker in stock form.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Re: (JCB)

Minneapolis, MN Jan. 14, 2010. Stehly Racing has announced its plans to run their 2nd national SCCA season in the Touring 3 class.
Finishing 2009 with 3 wins, a Divisional Championship and 3rd place finish at the National Runoffs Championship, they have lots to look forward to in 2010.
2009 was a developmental year for their program, making a move from their 1994 ITB GTI to the current 2006 GTI. "We had to look at everything differently than before, the biggest challenge was to make the car do what we wanted, in a more restricted arena like T3 said crew chief Daniel Page. Forunatly we had the expert help from APR Motorsport and Kumho Tires. We cannot say enough praise about either of these companies or their products. They provide world class customer service and performace from start to finish".
Teaming up with APR Motorsport, Westside VW and Kumho Tires, Stehly Racing has developed a formula that will prove successful in this season's race for the Championship.
Stehly Racings 2010 schedule:
April 30-May 2 Double National @ Blackhawk Farms. Rockton Ill
May 21- 23 Double National @ Road America. Elkhart Lk. Wis.
June 25- 27 Chicago Region's June Sprints @ Road America. Elkhart Lk. Wis.
July 2-4 Quad. Regional @ BIR. Brainerd MN. ( Stehly Racing Meet and Greet)
August 27-29 Double National @ Blackhawk Farms. Rockton Ill.
September 20-26 SCCA National Championship Runoffs @ Road America. Elkhart Lk. Wis.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Re: (Eye Candy White)

The class only allows a max 17x8" wheel with a 225 through 245 40 17 tire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.