VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mk VIII Golf R Plus

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  nxs138 
#1 ·
The entire point of this thread is exclusively around the Mk VIII Golf R Plus - Will we or won't we see one? Honestly my Mk VII R has been hands down my favorite car of all I've owned, so if the Mk VIII R *only* has another 40ish HP I'm probably going to tune mine and keep it. IF, however, VW puts out a factory/warrantied Golf R Plus with 400hp then I would like to get in line now, please! So...looking for a thread to follow updates on whether or not it will ever see the light of day. If you have an opinion about "for $XX they'll never sell any or make a profit" I'm sure you'll share (it is a forum, after all), but I'm really looking for news, rumors, inside scoop, etc. Whatcha got??

For reference:
April 2019: https://www.motor1.com/news/329177/vw-golf-r-plus-details/
Feb 2020 (sadly still referencing 2019 news): https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127149_2021-volkswagen-golf-r-spy-shots

Also today's Vortex article says it ain't coming with the RS3 5 cylinder (not the regular R, anyway, but perhaps a lower volume R Plus?): https://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/report-vw-initially-asked-use-audis-5-cylinder-golf-r/

-Brian W

See less See more
#4 ·
We will never see it here. Haven't you owned VWs long enough to realize if it doesn't have four or five doors, an automatic transmission and ground clearance it will not be in US showrooms? Spare the DSG lecture, I know its a "fantastic transmission", just not my cup of tea for an involved driving experience or maintenance stand point. I would love to see it here, as well as the Scirocco, Arteon R, Arteon wagen and on and on and on and on.

#9 ·
Don't know how I feel about an R-hybrid... My inclination is either one or the other, but not both.

Waiting to see what the GolfR VIII ends up being. If it comes with a measurable power upgrade, a 6spd and no moonroof, I'll pass on a Tesla (for now) and go with the R.

JB

#17 ·
VW will be shelling out 200-300 million Euros in fines this year because they are 1.6g/km over the Euro CO^2 emissions fleet average of 95g/km.

I don't think they have any interest in higher emissions products right now. 8R is only bringing an extra ten HP to Europe.

#19 ·
Either way, it will be excessively expensive for them to increase their fleet average emissions. Maybe if ID can lower their average substantially, a higher rated R could be financially feasible, but I think they are really done with pure gasoline R&D. If we talk about a hybrid Golf R, then we are talking about a near 4000 lbs car, and I have no interest in that personally, but maybe it could happen.

Deiss is saying now that there is no place for a technology that is only 40% efficient in the modern world.

#20 · (Edited)
If you do a search on VW Canada's website (upper right corner is the site search) for 2022 Golf R; it only shows a 315 horsepower version will be available in Canada; no mention of a Plus option engine. I dropped into my VW dealer and they told me that the GTI and Golf R will be the only Golf's to be brought into Canada from Germany for 2022, no base model Golf's. They also said the website mentions a manual will be available; but they were told only fully loaded Golf R's will be coming to Canada; DSG; driver assist; sunroof and wheels; uncertain about colors available and very limited numbers. They are taking deposits on the 2022 Golf R with expected delivery late summer or early fall of 2021.

#21 ·
If you do search on VW Canada's website (top right corner for site search and type in 2022 Golf R); it looks like we will only get the standard version R with 315 hp.; up 19 horses from the previous versions. I dropped into my VW dealer and they said they were told only the regular R version will be coming to NA and the website says a manual will be available, but they were told they will all come fully loaded with DSG; driver assist; sunroof and optional wheels into Canada from Germany. They also said the R and GTI will be the only Golf's imported into Canada for 2022 in very limited numbers and there will be no base model Golf's. for 2022. They are taking deposits on them for a late summer early fall of 2021 for delivery.

#22 ·
they were told they will all come fully loaded with DSG;
It’s interesting that, in a world of electric cars that have no choice but to have “automatic transmissions”, VW would only offer a DSG In their Golf R in Canada. At this point it could make someone think, why not just get a Tesla 3 that will have AWD and similar or faster performance? If you no longer row your own gears, do you need to stick with an ICE? Or does it make people ditch VW and go for a performance electric? I’m saying this because I’m debating Golf R vs Tesla 3 long range, both are in the same price and performance ballpark, but what is pulling the R ahead is the promise of a manual transmission. If that’s not offered, well......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.