VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a 16V in my old '80 rocco. The more I looked in to it the more I realized it may be a little more tricky than I expected.
A couple options and prices:
I could get a completely rebuilt turn-key for my car off of drivewire.com for $1600.
I could buy an 86-88 MK2 and part it out for probably $800-$1400 (average engine odo 120-150k miles)
I could buy a used engine from you guys or on eBay for anywhere between $300 and $800
Now, my questions:
1.) If I get just the turn key engine setup what will I have to also buy to make it function in my MK1?
2.) In your guys' opinion would it be better to buy the whole damn car and steal what I need to? (car will cost a little $$$ and I might have to replace a lot of parts)
3.) If you were making this decision which avenue would take? why?
Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re: MK1 16V Swap - What is interchangeable? (Two-Point-Oh16V)

Get the whole car.. and swap everything over. If your S1 doesn't have rear disks or 10.1 fronts, do that as well. Heck, you could swap the dash and seats while you were at it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: MK1 16V Swap - What is interchangeable? (scirockin)

That sounds cool except I was going to try the same thing with the dashboard's from an 87 sirocco to a 81 and the measurements didn't seem like the would workout if does cool let me know. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: MK1 16V Swap - What is interchangeable? (MK1Scirocco1980)

What Craig said.
I bout a '86 16v that had front end damage. Bought it sight unseen, well, I saw pics online. Flew down to the bay area and drove it home 1000 miles. Then transfered everything I could. Took me a long time as i was a bit of a novice, but the vortex and the Scirocco list were a good source of tech help. Had to get an aftermarket exhaust and the throttle linkage on the TB barely hits the hood. I am even getting the 16v dash in there. Had to. No cracks in it. The donor car is just a carcas now. Got tone of little odds and ends for spare parts too. : )

[Modified by Indiana Red, 12:26 AM 3-23-2003]

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: MK1 16V Swap - What is interchangeable? (MK1Scirocco1980)

I hav'nt put it through its paces yet so I dont have that first hand data. But from my situation I was going form a 1.6 (78hp) and a 4-spd to a 123 hp 16v motor and a close ratio 5spd(AGB) trans. It will be night and day. I even managed to find a new windshield gasket and W/S last year. Lots of little upgrades here ands there too. It has a way to go still.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Re: MK1 16V Swap - What is interchangeable? (ROC DOC)

The dash from a MKll into the 1980 Scirocco will work, in fact I'm in the process of doing this swap now. I've also seen in done by others. I can forward some of the details if you decide to go that route, LMK.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: MK1 16V Swap - What is interchangeable? (ROC DOC)

Roc Doc probly thought my story sounded familar. He was the source of my 16V donor car. Thanks again David.

BTW I would like to see any of your pics of the Dash swap. Mine is in there but I haven't found how to anchor it in very well.

[Modified by Indiana Red, 7:14 PM 3-23-2003]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.