VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 223 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Best thing for a windshield install is 3mm surgical tubing. Now way you can break it and slides right through with a little silicone sprayed around the edge before you start.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same swap - and a stupid question! :)

Hi Jeremy?
Was doing a search on Vortex for my upcoming '83 MK1 Jetta coupe swap and noticed you did the exact same thing a few years back. I'm putting a 1.9TDI out of a '96 Passat into the Jetta in the next few weeks and would appreciate any help you can give me. I bought a Rover 300TDI (mechanical) pump out of England and also some Bosio 520 injectors. Had an adjustable pump pulley machined but will wait until I've sorted out the clutch and 02a trans and have that bolted up.
The car came from the factory with a 1.6td mated to a 3-speed auto. A PO must have blown that motor because now it has a NA 1.6 and the injector pump is leaking pretty badly from the cold start lever, making the car undriveable (unless you don't care about leaving puddles of #2 while sitting at red lights - and I do!)
Here's the stupid question - I'm pretty set on using the Passat 5-speed and going with the whole cable shifter thing, but I was just curious... Is the auto trans compatible with the AHU engine? Would it bolt up? Would it be able to handle 110hp?
Mark

221 - 223 of 223 Posts