VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
anyway,

i have read that the mk3 drums are a step up over the mk1 stuffs (200mm>180mm), and cross referencing ETKA shows the axle stubs for the two to be the same. So what it looks like to me is that one would only need to swap over the back plate and hardware.. yes?

Totally upgrading ;)

Also how do you feel about mk3 seats in an mk1? gotta shorten the seat track.. but its doable. I already have mk2 seats in there.. worth the trouble to go to mk3 seats?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
another person to pm about this swap; tongboy. I gave him a mk1 shell he swapped a tdi into...he's all over the pnw forums....:p

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was gunna do the same swap and have decided it was not what I wanted. a 2.0aba16vt should be much more fun.
a local shop finetuning in Washington has done a lot of tdi swaps u can email them questions thru the site. the owner is building his own big turbo scirocco tdi as we speak 170hp ish ask for cris he's on here too so that's who is talk to

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
a 2.0aba16vt should be much more fun.
Don't get me wrong, that sounds a totally richeous engine.. I just hate the inefficiency of gas engines... Anything under 40mpg is heinous and can suck it ;) I had tons of fun with the 1.6 N/A.. almost 2x the HP and almost 3x the TQ... I think I'm still gonna have loads of fun Don't you? lol

What is needed to be done to make the mk1 axles mate with the mk3 inner cv's exactly? I have read there is grinding needed, I have also read direct swap.. nothing definitive, whats the deal?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
On using the rear brakes from the 98 on the 81.. It looks as though the back plate and actually brake hardware (shoes, springs, bearings) is all that is needed to make the swap, as the stub axle is the same part.

EGR deletion.. I pulled off the intake tube to have a look and the dreaded blackness is taking over my intake with a litle over %25 i'd say of blocakge.. How is this deleted.. almost looks likt one or two blocking plates on the back of the intake.. Confirmation?

thanks for reading

·
Registered
3,138 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
On the brakes, leave everything together on the backing plates.
Undo the eBrake cables (adjust them all the way out to create slack), and hyd brake lines.
Remove the backing plate assys and bolt them onto your 81.
Hook up the eBrake cables and hyd lines.
Repack the wheel bearings.
Bleed, and fine tune the eBrake adjustment.

The backing plates, drums, shoes, and about half the springs are dfrnt 180 vs 200.
The upside to 180 is new drums are only $8 each.

What is the ring&pinion - and the 5th - on your TDI 02a tranny ?

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
i just picked up a $600 98 jetta tdi toady.. i am going tdi-m with it as the current fuel pump = junk..

i even worked a deal for a landrover tdi pump... rumor is thats the pump to use.. now gotta reserch it and what i gotta do..

inital install will be into my rusty test bead winter beater 81 coupe.. then after i get it all sorted and such ill rotessery my 84 rust free coupe (and do a full rebuild of the tdi too).. and do it with the 98 style mounts and so on..

i plan to keep the 02a and hydro set up.. i also plan to keep the ac which is why i am using the 98 style mounting.. rattle free.. :) vs stock mk1 as ac weighs too much. and the good ac diesel motor mount is NLA.. .

i put a tdi into a 90 jetta back in 02 for someone.. this one is mine...

on your brake qustion.. the 98 is a 200mm set up.. you will need to rember this as pree 90 200mm are different then 98 ones.. the back plate is too.. gotta keep them matched up.. but yes they are bolt on... for the fronts.. you best off with a pair of caliper cariers from a audi 4000 quattro.. they are a direct fit.. bolt caliper to them and they fit right onto the mk1 hub/wheel bearing assembly.. no adapters, no screwing around making mk3 ones fit mk1 stuff..

egr = check engine light... gotta figure out the crack to keep it turned off.. another reason for tdi-m..

i plan to cut and mod my set up to eleminate it.. else euro intake manifold and block off on exhaust..

41 - 60 of 223 Posts