VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Just finished my ABA swap w 4 speed 020 and I’d like a way to see my fuel economy. I’m not slamming the gas, I get to 4th gear ASAP, but I’m only getting around 27mpg, which is a bit pathetic for a 2.0 in a little MK1 body, when it gets 30+ in a MK3 body.

How do I go about wiring in an aftermarket gauge?

What gauge do you recommend for accuracy + implementation?(it’s a ‘95 OBD1 for reference)

cheers

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
Miles divided by gallons put in when you fill up. Every tank.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Wish my mk3 aba got 30+ mpg lol. Your upset about 27mpg and you are using a stock 4 speed trans. What do you expect.
I got 24-25mpg in my mk1 16v with a diesel trans.

27 is great for your setup imo. Will have to swap it to a 5speed.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
The best I get with my POS is 30+. My 020 5 speed has a .71 5th and a 2.41 R/P.

To answer your question, there is no practical way to install an accurate MPG gauge. Finding the speed is not difficult, but fuel use is darn near impossible.

FYI, while working with Mercedes, if a customer was concerned that his MPG was poor, we could adjust the reading a few percentage points either way. I always thought that the gauge was pretty much useless.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,677 Posts
MPG accuracy is variable
you can eliminate a lot of variance but there will always be a difference each time you calculate

standard deviation rule is 2%
i would guess reality for fuel and miles accuracy is higher than 5%

things that effect measurement:
temperature when fueling
temperature when driving
which fuel pump you use at what time of the day
the quality of your tires tread
etc

i always always "fill up" at a pump, by that measurement is probally over 5% off depending on pump
currentmiles - previousmiles / gallons pumped = MPG

this being said, i have every single receipt in a spreadsheet since 2009 for my rabbits.
i can look at a history based on upgrades, modifications, repairs, time of year (fuel grade), trips, etc.

.... rule of thumb for increasing MPG
stop being a lead foot and slow the **** down

1 - 5 of 5 Posts